Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
distracted

Going Salmon Fishing!

36 posts in this topic

I have a chance to go Salmon fishing legally this weekend... never been and getting increasingly excited, it's a spate river, vey tight steep rocky/ gorge banks but there has been loads of rain recently and the fish are running apparently, I'm a crap fly fisher and don't have very big fly rods, but I do have a good salmon spinning rod I inherited, it's a fibreglass, would I be best to stick with spinning? what sort of lures work best in a spate river? I have a chance to grab some gear in the morning... any recommendations?

Hope pics to follow :D

No advice at all mate but I'm as jealous as fuck lol.

The only time I've ever fished was when we had a week in Ardgay and I hooked up with an older guy who took me fly fishing..Awesome!!

He let me use his equipment,clothing etc and even took me out on a boat in one of the local lochs.Best holiday I've ever had.

I bought some fly fishing stuff intending to do it around here but with half days costing £40 odd quid there was no way I could afford it and thats without taking into account the cost of petrol getting there etc.

Enjoy :)

1 person likes this

An old mate used to be a gillie / keeper in Ardgay... very nice part of the world, the estate fencing on where he worked was wrought iron opium poppy's... guess how the family made their fortune :wassnnme:

This is free as a mate has the rights on the cheap

If you are spinning for Salmon, the Flying Condom is the lure of choice. Rapalas and Tobys are good but the FC is the one. If the river is in spate and the water is coloured, wormng is the only real option - trotting a bunch of good sized worms downstream on a bait controller or a ball weight so it bounces off the bottom. Bites on the worm are very subtle and you must wait before the strike otherwise you will not connect.

Good luck ya lucky b*gger!

Bio

1 person likes this

a big treble hook with loads of worms on it

works for me when spinning..

or putty / roe... works a treat

tight lines o/''''

winky

1 person likes this

Cheers for the advice, going to turn out the compost bins tomorrow :yep: .... dug out my tackle tonight and loads has rusted or been misplaced :headpain: also lost my biggest spinning reel so may have to use a sea spinner

Does heavy flow water make it run clearer or coloured? I'd guess clearer but it's a guess!... my mates son got a 14lb fish this week on a spinner out of it though... if nothing else fresh wild salmon is guaranteed as it's already bagged :D

Edited by distracted

tight lines o/''''

winky

All of the above methods are illegal btw (FYI).

@www, we call it jam round our way. Prawns and jam generally do the trick :wink:

Bio

Thanks Bio, illegal stuff won't be happening as this is legal fishing I'm being allowed to try.... so no worms at all?

Worming is generally permitted once the water is above a certain depth (often spinning as well) - the rivers I fish are fly only below a certain level on the marker at a given pool or bridge. Anything deeper and spinning/worming is allowed.

As to the other question re colouring, waters colour up during a flood because a lot of the sediment is stirrd up. Salmon dislike cloudy water because the particles in it interfere with their gills so tend to lie low until the water begins to clear. This is normally when the water begins to drop, post flood, triggering the need for fish to move while the water is still deep enough to reach the next milestone on their way up to the spawning grounds.

Bio

2 people like this

Thanks Bio, we had vast amounts of rain on Monday, apparently today will be prefect fishing so I suspect it is as you say the fish taking advantage of the lowering turbulence but higher than normal water level... got a mix of the flying c's or whatever they are called this morning, 15 & 20g ones... left it too late for worming now though as i'm offski soon...

Thanks again

tight lines o/''''

winky

All of the above methods are illegal btw (FYI).

@www, we call it jam round our way. Prawns and jam generally do the trick :wink:

Bio

illegal ? are you for real on a canna grow site ?

what do i care about the law,,, cause the law dont care for me...

poaching was our way, when i was younger.. kicking 50 soon iam...

so i aint got the same time to go poaching now....

who has the right to charge astronomical prices for fishing , when the fish come in from the sea.... who ? the fucking tories thats who,,,

i could never afford the money they wanted to fish for a day,

so up we all went at night to steal their fish...

the fuckers own the land , but fih are free to roam

fish on man...

winky

Best of luck .Havn't caught too many salmon but I've given a lot of time trying .

The flying condom seems to be a fairly popular bait .The thing with prawns is , and it's a theory ,salmon see a prawn in the river and it spooks them because they're aware it's in the wrong environment .If they don't take it they won't take anything and fishing a pool that has been covered with a prawn an hour before may be a complete waste of time .

I'd rather hook them on a fly but it hasn't the element of hunting that trout fishing has .Salmon bite out of aggression.

For the best possible fun for me if i'm lucky enough to hook one on a worm is to use a heavy flyrod .The type that they use for chinook salmon in canada ,short (9=11ft) ,whih is short for a salmon fly rod.

I love when they break the water or roll on top .Gets the heart going .

Make sure you have a swivel ,best of luck

It's a 3-4 year wait for a fly fishing licence to fish my local river cos you have to join a club apparentely (they have put a stop to day passes in the area if you can get a day pass you are restricted to a 400 yard crap swim, thats not even deep enough to wash your balls in fuck that!) round my way sadly cos folk come from miles to fish my local waters and there is very stringent rules like no prawns or shrimp, can only keep 2 salmon per year, expensive membership (after you have waited several years), filling in pathetic booklets, must display fishing licence number in car otherwise you will be clamped and so on

it's sad really cos i want to join but can't because of the waiting list so to go fishing i have to take matters into my own hands.

my favourite method is using a wood board (thick ply works but not essential.) and an aerial mortar shell or two (needs to be bigger that a 4inch shell cos the smaller shells don't sink unless you strap a decent stone to it )wrapped in a plastic bag and ducktaped with a waterproof piece of grey fuse. a couple of 6inch shells strapped together send water 20ft + into the air and the salmon and trout float to the top and you just pick them out with your hand! takes about 5 min.

i have to use this method cause if i'm caught with a rod without a licence i'm fucked and my way i'm in and out in a flash as my local waters are patrolled a few times a day. it's bullshit round here it feels like if your not in the club you can just fuck off or be restriced to a swim where the is no chance of catching anything but a cold.

if using a rod the best advice i can give is patience

You can pick up an aerial mortar shell in your local tackle shop ! :rofl:

I would love to be going salmon fishing. Not got much advice, other than making sure you don't flick the rod back and forward too quickly.

Good luck dude and I hope to see something in the cooking thread. If you get lucky then its got to be a simple dish I reckon, maybe steam the salmon and make a butter, lemon and mild herb sauce.