Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Comrade Stoker

Musical Instruments fucking rock

162 posts in this topic

The differene I like with a proper instrument compared to an electronic sound is the little imperfections that happen. Like the unique rings to a note and stuff. The sounds of proper instruments seem more... human, for lack of a better word. My favourite instruments are probably wind.

Its a shame I wasn't impressed with music lessons in school. To fuckin boring. Had me thinking music was shit lol I know better now. Im happy with the instrument I chose. Might learn to play a guitar at some point as well.

The differene I like with a proper instrument compared to an electronic sound is the little imperfections that happen. Like the unique rings to a note and stuff. The sounds of proper instruments seem more... human, for lack of a better word. My favourite instruments are probably wind.

I reckon the same for fretted or divided instruments like guitar or bass or piano. With a proper orchestra, all the strings are unfretted or undivided, so by definition all the notes cannot be right on the money so a unique sound is created. I can't hear a unique sound but one must be there. I am becoming like the Mr Logic of music in my own little world at the moment.

Yeah thats it man. Unique sounds. Wind make unique sounds all the time. Thats why I like them so much. I think the same is true of nearly all instruments though. They're capable of making all kinds of crazy sounds. I agree mind. They are hard to hear sometimes.

I got a couple strange thing to mention too. If I master a tune, so I can play it at any speed and stuff. When Im in my little zone I hear the sound before I hit the key. Its like my mind is expecting the sound so plays it before I actually hear it. Strange feeling. Another one I found is that some tunes sound different when I play them to when I just listen. Like some parts sound totally different. It also sounds different when I record and play it back. If you record what you play you find loads of unique things in it that you never heard when playing too.

I reckon the same for fretted or divided instruments like guitar or bass or piano. With a proper orchestra, all the strings are unfretted or undivided, so by definition all the notes cannot be right on the money so a unique sound is created. I can't hear a unique sound but one must be there. I am becoming like the Mr Logic of music in my own little world at the moment.

Timbre is the word I think, individual threads of sound combining to make a harmonious aural tapestry innit :spliff:

Edited by Hughie Green

There is the issue of harmonic beats when two tones of slightly different frequencies are generated. (The same effect you'd notice when tuning a guitar.)

I think the instruments themselves, rather than slight differences in frequencies, are the source of the rich sound of an orchestra.

1 person likes this

i always thought music played on proper instruments sounds better than electronic `music`

prety much anyone can make a beat and put a melody over the top on a computer....

but it takes a great skill to get a few musicians in time and sounding good

Its not just as easy as writting a beat and putting a melody over the top of it. Electronic music production is a way way different ball game to playing an instrument. The same musical theory is applied but the principles at getting to the different ones are alot different.

BSR

Eh? What about this then? Dr. Dre just thinks he's an innovator.

post-37273-0-69917100-1312313941_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Eh? What about this then? Dr. Dre just thinks he's an innovator.

lol

Did you actually make that yourself Ed?

loving the sellotape at the top there, you taken real care with that and probly gone round quite a few times.

i always thought music played on proper instruments sounds better than electronic `music`

prety much anyone can make a beat and put a melody over the top on a computer....

I don`t know, i love all great music and for me the Chemical Bros have made some pretty amazing albums, and i think it`s all samples or electronically generated sounds :dj:

Its not just as easy as writting a beat and putting a melody over the top of it. Electronic music production is a way way different ball game to playing an instrument. The same musical theory is applied but the principles at getting to the different ones are alot different.

BSR

I understand where you are coming from BSR, but some orchestral instruments have evolved over 400+ years. To the point where they are literally perfect in design, eg violin. You cant vary any of the dimensions by more than 1% without adversely affecting the sound quality.

Bill

Did you actually make that yourself Ed?

Sure did. I apprenticed under the guy who crafted the professional concert spoons for all the Chas 'n Dave tours. A little electronic application and I've finally achieved the 'Les Paul' moment. I'm still not satisfied though, onwards and upwards; I'm currently working on a project involving fish slices.

loving the sellotape at the top there, you taken real care with that and probly gone round quite a few times.

Thoroughness borne of experience: I never want to lose another spoon in the middle of a solo.

Edited by Eddiesilence
3 people like this

This thread fuckin rocks.

I am loving all this musical banter flying around.

Got my 15 year old hooked on guitar and keyboards. He fuckin loves it.

He can play some tidy muse riffs too. :smokin: Tryin to get him into some dave gilmour sounds and the like.

1 person likes this

Here's my kit.

post-37273-0-21460300-1312337913_thumb.jpg

post-37273-0-75618900-1312337918_thumb.jpg

post-37273-0-24900700-1312337924_thumb.jpg

2 people like this

Timbre is the word I think,

Timbre is one of my most favorite words. :yes: