Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Comrade Stoker

Musical Instruments fucking rock

162 posts in this topic

Its a proper old Dallas B Model Banjo Ukulele. Its from late 1930's I think, its a George Formby branded one too. I just tuned it to D G B E as I could not be arsed learning the ukulele tuning way.

I've just finished a biography of local lad George Formby and apparently he couldn't tune his uke either so you're in good company :guitar:

Its a proper old Dallas B Model Banjo Ukulele. Its from late 1930's I think, its a George Formby branded one too. I just tuned it to D G B E as I could not be arsed learning the ukulele tuning way.

I've just finished a biography of local lad George Formby and apparently he couldn't tune his uke either so you're in good company :guitar:

I would quite like to know a bit more about Formby. From what I can see, his popularity was like Elvis, Buddy Holly, Freddie Mercury, and all the great Baroque composers rolled into one. I'm sure I remember reading something about his earnings and how they would compare in today's money and it was something fucking stupid. I'm sure I read he was a proper tight cunt too lol

Edited by Lake Palmer

Bit of trivia Lake, George Formby's dad was also a performer, with an almost identical voice. This is from 1915:

e2a: By 1915, George Snr. was as proportionately wealthy as Bono and Donald Trump combined. Probably.

Edited by Eddiesilence

Just had a thought.

Ive played with loads of different toys. By toys I mean anything at all that a person can play with. From a ball to a motorbike. A pen to even cannabis plants. Theyre all toys I like playing with. After playing with my keyboard for a year or two. I think instrumments are one of the best toys anyone can play with. While a ball is a physical toy. An instrument is a spiritual toy. Also. With instruments there seems to be no end. Its a never ending game. I guess maybe its because its a pure creative toy and the numerous combinations of notes and chords, mixed with differing rhythems etc are so many that they appear infinite.

Anyway. That was my thought. Instruments are one of my favourite toys to play with.

8 people like this

I would quite like to know a bit more about Formby. From what I can see, his popularity was like Elvis, Buddy Holly, Freddie Mercury, and all the great Baroque composers rolled into one. I'm sure I remember reading something about his earnings and how they would compare in today's money and it was something fucking stupid. I'm sure I read he was a proper tight cunt too lol

He was a tight cunt because his domineering wive banked all the money and only gave him pocket money

He was a tight cunt because his domineering wive banked all the money and only gave him pocket money

Sounds like my wife. She swiped £60 off me today when I went swimming in the sea and put my jeans down.

Just had a thought.

Ive played with loads of different toys. By toys I mean anything at all that a person can play with. From a ball to a motorbike. A pen to even cannabis plants. Theyre all toys I like playing with. After playing with my keyboard for a year or two. I think instrumments are one of the best toys anyone can play with. While a ball is a physical toy. An instrument is a spiritual toy. Also. With instruments there seems to be no end. Its a never ending game. I guess maybe its because its a pure creative toy and the numerous combinations of notes and chords, mixed with differing rhythems etc are so many that they appear infinite.

Anyway. That was my thought. Instruments are one of my favourite toys to play with.

Spot on man.

Sounds like my wife. She swiped £60 off me today when I went swimming in the sea and put my jeans down.

I got rid of my missus because she kept challenging me to handstand contests and running off with my stuff.

Edited by Eddiesilence

I bet your wife didn't have a hysterectomy so that pesky children couldn't interfere with your earning potential like George Formby's did :sadwalk:

Lake, have you got one of these yet?

post-37273-0-72106100-1312300317_thumb.jpg

2 people like this

lol, is that a pair of Midi enabled spoons?

No, my wife didn't have an operation but our daughter put us off having kids for the rest of our lives.

1 person likes this

i always thought music played on proper instruments sounds better than electronic `music`

prety much anyone can make a beat and put a melody over the top on a computer....

but it takes a great skill to get a few musicians in time and sounding good

It's a pair of iSpoons, Lake. £799.99. Bargain.

e2a: You're gonna need these if you're thinking of getting involved in the Knees-upcore scene.

Edited by Eddiesilence

Way to expensive, Eddie. Can I buy just one or are they only sold in pairs? :bag:

Lovely stash of instruments, Lake :)

Edited by TheStoneDuk

I got the 4/4 violin in working order, I paid £6 for some fine tuners, £20 for strings and £5 for a bridge. The sound isn't bad, its not going to win any prizes but at the moment I am just plucking the strings to learn the scales (Same with cello). It seems that the cello, viola, violin etc. is very much a game to play with the bow, this is where the skill is, its fucking hard. With the cello its about using the power from the middle of your back, not your arm or hand, the bow is just held almost loosely. I am proper loving all this, its like my mind has opened up to music.

1 person likes this