Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
namkha

Medicinal Plants

36 posts in this topic

not a herbalist, but love medicinal plants

some I would recommend, other than everybody's favourite, are

Ashvagandha - Withania somnifera... an Indian herb, a good one for people who tax their system through overwork, too much drink and drugs, or smoke more than they maybe should; anti-stress, anti-anxiety, looks after nervous system, aids healing, also an aphrodisiac

Root extracts of Ashwagandha aka 'Indian Ginseng' have been used for centuries as a part of Ayurvedic formulations to relieve stress and other mental disorders. Ashwagandha prevents general debility, fatigue and premature aging. It also improves the brain's memory functions like attention and concentration. It is a safe and natural solution that fortifies the body and mind against weakness, while promoting strength and stamina.

In Ayurveda, Ashwagandha is known as balya, which means giving strength in conditions like general debility. It has also been described to have analgesic and anti-inflammatory effect on the central nervous system.

Helps relieve physical and mental stress

Helps in condition of anxiety neurosis

Helps to overcome depression

Helps body adapt to changed environmental, climatic and stressful conditions

Fights fatigue and general debility

A well-known anxiolytic, anti-stress herb. Prevents anxiety from arising. Rejuvenates and strengthens the body. Also a great aphrodisiac.

Ayurvedic herbal extract pills

http://www.himalayahealthcare.com/products/ashvagandha.htm

http://www.dabur.com/Export-Health%20Care-Ashwagandha%20-%20Stresscom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Withania_somnifera

Brahmi - Bacopa monnieri ...great for mental clarity and focus, anti-anxiety, said to aid memory and intellectual development, Indian and SEAsian

Brahmi or Bacop monnieri has been used for centuries to help benefit memory capacity, increase concentration, and reduce stress-induced anxiety. It is used as a nootropic, a drug that improves cognitive ability.

Brahmi is a nerve tonic that enhances learning, academic performance and improves mental ability. It acts as an anti-anxiety agent and is used in several mental disorders. It also calms restlessness in children.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacopa_monnieri

Herbal extract pills

http://www.himalayahealthcare.com/products/brahmi.htm

Valerian - relaxant and sedative, anti-anxiety, aids sleep

http://www.himalayahealthcare.com/products/tagara.htm

Gokshura - Tribulus terrestris - great aphrodisiac

http://www.himalayahealthcare.com/products/gokshura.htm

Tulasi or Tulsi - great for colds and bugs; so is Neem

http://www.himalayahealthcare.com/products/tulasi.htm

Klip Dagga and Wild Dagga - big pretty garden plants, easy to grow, with a nice high

http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/garden-shop/leonotis-nepetifolia.-beau-apricot-40-seeds

has medicinal properties too

Edited by namkha
3 people like this

Tulsi is bloody great stuff :yep: :yep: Brahmi too! Tulsi Brahmi woooo yeah, great combination for general stress relief and clarity, absolutely love it (see my signature!!) I am so far responsible for at least a dozen regular Tulsi Brahmi drinkers, and converting more from coffee all the time.

How about a more controversial one, in the form of Salvia Divanorum. Absolutely amazing herb for finding clarity - I prefer the loose leaf to extracts :yep:

What about Cinnamon? That deserves a mention... I've met people who are successfully treating their diabetes with the stuff!! Bloody amazing...

Tulsi Brahmi woooo yeah, great combination for general stress relief and clarity, absolutely love it

How about a more controversial one, in the form of Salvia Divanorum. Absolutely amazing herb for finding clarity - I prefer the loose leaf to extracts :yep:

yeh, first hint of a cold and I take some Tulsi

if you like Brahmi, you will love Ashvagandha ---

if I was Divine Dictator of Britain I would force all my subjects to take it daily... then they might all calm the hell down a bit and stop taking themselves so bloody seriously

Ashvagandha --- great for preventing stress and anxiety, great for healing, great for sex

yeh - love Salvia too --- had loads of the stuff at one point, really intriguing plant and a very profound experience

I've never tried the extract, just had some potent leaf

Edited by namkha
1 person likes this

if you like Brahmi, you will love Ashvagandha

Thanks for the tip! :yep:

How do you take the Ashwaganda / Ashvaganda tea?

I have some root powder now and just added a teaspoon to hot water. It has a very bitter, nutty taste, not dissimilar to green tea but with more body. I'm thinking something to sweeten it a little would be good.

The aftertaste is a lot like black tea actually...

Wow... ok, the effects so far are impressive!

I can definitely feel this stuff running through my head and body, very significant even after 1/2 a mug of tea. Blimey!

You're right, I do love it! :guitar:

I gotta do something about my intake method though... maybe I'll try half a teaspoon in tulsi+brami :stoned:

hi Eri

yeh, I love the stuff

I use it as a concentrated extract though, in pills... the strongest ones are actually from stresscom [edit to add: they recommend taking the pill with milk, to aid absorption I guess]

in terms of using it as tea... I've no idea... the name Ashwagandha means "horse's smell" as the roots are said to smell of that...

if what you have there is just powdered root with no info about recommended dosage then I can't help

the Himalayan herbals pills I have say one pill of 250mg extract twice a day

you ever tried Valerian? ... now that does smell pretty funky... great for relaxation though

Edited by namkha
1 person likes this

I've been reading up and apparently you can roll a teaspoon of the root powder up in honey and eat it like that.

Now if only I ate honey...... :) I don't drink milk either, but I guess anything reasonably alkali in the stomach will do the trick. I dunno though, the root powder tea seems to have caused no problems, so i'm not going to worry about that.

I reckon rolling it in maple syrup will work (albeit expensively) so I'm gonna try that! I guess you wouldn't need much.

I've never tried Valerian, purely because I tend to stay away from stuff with predominantly sedative effects (I can sleep any time, any place, anyway hehe). I have some in the house though, in case there's ever a need for it... how would you describe the effects?

P.S. I found out the ashwaganda is in Pukka's "Relax" tea. Some of the pukka teas are OK, but tulsi brahmi is so much better it makes most other herbal teas taste pretty terrible. A couple of them are pretty good though - "Refresh" and "Love" are very drinkable. I wonder if they sell it loose leaf....... tea bags are great at destroying flavour for some reason.

I've lost count of how many tins of tulsi brahmi i've got through now. A lot. :)

I've been reading up and apparently you can roll a teaspoon of the root powder up in honey and eat it like that.

Now if only I ate honey...... :) I don't drink milk either, but I guess anything reasonably alkali in the stomach will do the trick.

I've never tried Valerian, purely because I tend to stay away from stuff with predominantly sedative effects ... how would you describe the effects?

hey Eri

I think the rationale with milk is that it has fat in it, which aids the absorption into your body, as with cannabis

why don't you eat honey and milk? allergy? ... man, they are both an essential part of my life... I don't know what I'd do without them

yeh - rolling powdered herbs in honey is a very traditional way to make pills... a Thai-Dam herbalist I know makes his pills that way

the effects of Valerian are a very nice and easy physical and mental relaxation... it is best made as a slow cold infusion, as using hot water will drive off a lot of the volatile oils and also make your home smell baaaad...

Edited by namkha

I'll have to try the valerian sometime then, thanks man :yep:

Maple syrup works good! Don't need much either, so won't be too expensive using that with the powder.

I don't eat any animal products. I don't have much of a problem with non-intensive bee keeping / honey production though (in fact, given our current bee population issues, I think it's a worthwhile thing for anyone to do really). It's the greedy fuckers who take it all and feed the bees sugar I have a real problem with.

Milk I have a problem with because they have to keep the cows lactating, so it comes at the price of a lot of dead male calves :( I think it's kinda gross to drink another animal's breast milk too tbh, and our guts seem to agree 'cause they're made for human milk... hence the number of lactose intolerant people (ever heard of a human milk intolerant baby? lol)

Tulsi is a new one...must try but valerian is a great tea

I have a nice medicinal patch in the garden, very slowly bening transformed into a physic area...

The white daisy looking flowers are feverfew, 3-4 raw leaves chewed help migraines tastes rank though and a hot poultice with leaves also relieves headaches and muscle aches

The pic with the yellow flowers is st johns wort, most commonly used as an antidepressant, I also make an oil or a poultice to soothe cuts and grazes works really well - especially with our little one at the minute!!

The rusty ferny one is caraway I eat the seeds mainly to aid digestion, also above it is fennel, I usually add seeds to a tea for a stomach upset

I also grow a lot of sage, thyme, rosemary and lavender, lavender and rosemary beaten with some almond/hemp/olive oil makes a fantastic massage oil it really soothes muscular aches albeit for a short while.

Even these common everyday herbs have a wide array of uses even in a rudimentary tea...so easily forgotten this knowledge wish I knew more after all we're all made up of the same stuff...

post-53447-0-75148700-1310830168_thumb.jpg

post-53447-0-48969800-1310830184_thumb.jpg

post-53447-0-47678100-1310830202_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

nice - proper garden plants... ... hate all those useless ugly flowers you see in so many gardens... herbs and medicinal plants aren't just more useful, they're more beautiful too, and they have a vibe about them other plants don't

do you grow valerian? it's very easy to grow - good if you have a shady area as they are as happy to be there as in full sun... has pretty white flowers and nice foliage

borage is another nice plant... good cooling plant... seeds everywhere though, but it's good to eat so no problem

Tulsi (they spell it about three different ways) is very popular in India... it's regarded as a sacred plant as well... it's closely related to basil... the Thais use two other closely related types in a lot of their cooking inc. salads... [edit to add turns out Thai basil "grapao" is actually a variety of Tulsi, not a different species]

in my experience Indian herbs have a lot of kick... whereas I've found a lot of herbs from Chinese hospitals don't do much...

other plants that are good to grow: wormwood, datura... probably best avoid using them much though as they'll mess with your head

Edited by namkha

I've tried a few different types of herbal valerian and I have to say it was a complete waste of time and money. I find the subject very interesting though.

Edited by Artificial Emotion

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0