Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

way_too_old_for_this

Blood fish and bone attracting animals?

49 posts in this topic

MOst search results on Google come back with warnings about FBB attracting rats and foxes which can dig up your plants.

Does anyone know is this true?

Was going to go dig some in tomorrow morning.

Cheers,

G.

yeah its true, ive had foxes dig up my cages when i top dressed with it. usually they give up when they dont find anything solid, but they can do damage, definately.

i think should normally be ok if you dont put it in too concentrated

yeah its true, ive had foxes dig up my cages when i top dressed with it. usually they give up when they dont find anything solid, but they can do damage, definately.

And you still use it?

Leaning towards not putting it on at this stage. The potential costs outweigh the benefits.

I'll probably wait till later in the season - at least if I wait till the plants are bigger they'll be better able to handle anything.

Edited by way_too_old_for_this

i think should normally be ok if you dont put it in too concentrated

Have you used it Krajewski?

I already put in onto 6 plants we put out. Not too concentrated either - will let you know what happens! ; )

I'm not a guerilla grower but I've had plenty of fox damage ionflicted on my allotment by foxes thinking I'd buried something yummy under the spuds due to me using FB&B. Same goes for dried blood and chicken manure pellets. Foxes bury food they can't eat immediately by burying it, so they probably think another fox has buried something for later.

You could try leaving a bit on the surface where the fox will find it, so it can find out that FB&B is not in fact another fox's stashed snack, therefore digging up anything with that smell isn't worthwhile.

And you still use it?

nope, not planning on it this year.

I'm not using FBB this year as last year the foxes were taking it and uprooting my cages in the process, they setup home by my plants, I damn near stood on one of them just by my plot last year it gave me a hell of a fright :soap:

i use it all the time and have never had a problem

peace out farmer boy

1 person likes this

i use it all the time and have never had a problem

peace out farmer boy

Do you put it in the ground a few weeks/ months before planting or just use as a top dressing?

Have read that this can remove risk by animal investigating the smell when fresh.

Cheers.

i try to get some dug in well before planting out but it rarely happens . my plant out normaley gose something like this .... the day before planting out i make a mix of FBB,calcified seeweed,wood ash and some other odd's and sod's i then put 3-4 good handfulls in an area about 2'x2' and give it a good dig in along with 2-3 bags of well rotted dung . i make sure i have a few handfulls left over that i spread around the rest of the grow area . the next day i returne give it another quick dig over and plant my babby in the middle water in (5ltrs water with root stim) mulch up (a good 3" of bark chippings) add a pre made cage and jobs a good-un

never had a problem doing it this way although this is the first year that i have mulched

peace out farmer boy

Farmer boy knows how its done!! Im guessing your style works best when you are digging over old holes with the mix?

Hopefully i can find all my old holes, bit worried the new ones wont give the plants the same chances. Its all in the preperation i guess...

Does anyone know is this true?

Big time mate, i had some beautiful plants ruined last year because i used a dressing of fbb, i`d use a liquid feem imo

also i do top dress with FBB,throughout the season

peace out farmer boy

1 person likes this

... i make sure i have a few handfulls left over that i spread around the rest of the grow area .

Right - I think that this is the key thing.

Whenever using it, make sure to leave a more tempting patch for the foxes a few metres away, a little zig zag of it.

Give it a light sprinkling with water just before you leave.

Remember : They're crapping there instead of round my plants :yep:

I don't know if you've ever had to go and change your trousers because you've knelt in foxshit, but let me tell you :

once you have done this, you will always take a spare pair of trousers with you.