Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

troy

science vs religion

1,123 posts in this topic

religion eases the fear of death even gives it a meaning.

sorry I disagree. well in my opinion anyway.

In religion, generally, death is polarised.

how can that bring peace of mind ?

one things is for sure, we all die, therefore we all need to make the most of this life. what ever that means to you is partially what defines you.

the rest, who cares......... worm food, continuation of the cosmos, laddered collective consciousness, eternal damnation / pleasure or just deeeeed. we will never know.

my Buddhist teacher told me only 2 things are true, death and taxation...... I am working on the latter lol

edit... I hate fullmoons....luna-tic

Edited by TeaJay

Do religious people cry at funerals? If so, why? they are going to see them again......They don't cry every time their loved ones leave them when they know they will see them again, like leaving for work ETC, so how is this any different? lol

i see haters are still hating and ridiculing those with different beliefs. this is what your gods have taught you huh. ridiculous

Proof you don't need to believe in god to do good things.

FISH DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD.

Saying "If humans evolved from apes, why are there still apes" is the same as "If Americans came from the British, why are there still British people"

1 person likes this

Religious people: "You need religion for morals"

*Ignores the bad stuff like stoning people......with morals not from religion like everyone else*

@@brendog

You seem to really like to bash religion liken them to conspiracy theorists etc

Religion has existed in one form or another since time immemorial

Stoned ape theory is probably closer to the truth than many would want to admit, just check out those cave paintings

I know a lot about science, a fukload as it happens I work in the field, it pays the bills and I am very passionate about it however science will never have the answers because it can only adress how and not why

Unfortunately the message of religion has been corrupted by men for their own needs and if your genuinely interested in learning something and expanding your mind perhaps then Alan Watts has a lot to say but you need an open mind which I dont think you have

“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.”
Aristotle

The message of all religions is effectively the same thing

Jesus Christ knew he was God. So wake up and find out eventually who you really are. In our culture, of course, they’ll say you’re crazy and you’re blasphemous, and they’ll either put you in jail or in a nut house (which is pretty much the same thing). However if you wake up in India and tell your friends and relations, ‘My goodness, I’ve just discovered that I’m God,’ they’ll laugh and say, ‘Oh, congratulations, at last you found out.

Alan Watts

He talks a lot of sense and he talks about how humans are predisposed to believe in the fully automatic model and how it isnt even scientific

have you ever heard of the Schrodinger equation?, like an equation that describes everything from an atom to the entire universe itself?, are you aware of the amazing work Schrodinger did and how this led to the doscovery of DNA because if you read you will see he fukin knew, the guy could see it and he is no doubt every bit as great a scientist as Einstein and Newton

We are all expressions of the same equation, you and are are the big bang dude its happening now and you are a part of it

Everyone knows that science is broken, they are inventing particles and spending billions trying to prove their existance and they even call it the god particle because as it stands the equations dont quite work out and basically you need what we call god to balance it out

Schrodinger knew this and he knew there are other underlying laws that will be discovered in the future all in all he was an amazing guy and its a very interesting subject facing one of the biggest questions of all

Unless your telling me the guy didnt have a clue

To believe in science without understanding it is no different to blindly believing in the bible, its still faith

One thing I feel strongly about is that there has to be more to it than the fully automatic model, reality coming into existance in an instant for no particular reason is just not what happened, not in my mind anyway its just unacceptable

Edited by Davey Jones
5 people like this

But that's about why, and IMHO science has nothing to do with why. Science is about how. How does this thing happen. Why is a question for philospy and religion, and it's a question that I don't think can be answered. Science is not about the why, it's about the how, and although we are nowhere near explaing the how of most things I think we will be able to, eventually. Personally I don't think why is even a relavent question, why suggests meaning, direction, purpose and I just don't see existence that way (I retierate that's personally, not stating it as a FACT, just how I see things). I don't believe that there is a reason. I don't believe that there is a purpose. I don't believe in a creator, I don't believe in religion. I believe that life on earth is a cosmic accident, a matter of circumstance. I believe that, given enough time and research, we may eventually understand the how of things, but I don't think we will ever understand the why, simply because I don't think there is a why.

@@Davey Jones Okay then? So you think there is a god which science can prove? What are you saying? Or "god" is just a metaphor which I don't understand? I like the truth bro and how things work and are, you can create anything in your mind?

Why are we here? To love and care for one another. And in so doing, to discover meaning.

@@Davey Jones

Nailed it, IMHO :yep:

7 people like this

only ignorance divides us , all thats proven meets in truth,,,

@@Davey Jones Okay then? So you think there is a god which science can prove? What are you saying? Or "god" is just a metaphor which I don't understand? I like the truth bro and how things work and are, you can create anything in your mind?

@@brendog

I waited all night to post this mate as its a subject I find interesting and I wanted to think about it

What I am saying mate is that theres no way to know sure religion has been corrupted so much the original message is lost but posting youtube videos to berate it with science without understanding the science is pretty much the same thing ie faith because the more you learn about science the more you see how limited it is and how far it has to go. It is the best system invented so far though and I love it more than anyone I ever met!

In my opinion the universe is amazing, I am quite experienced with advanced mathematics and the more you learn the more absolute beauty you get to see it really is the code of the universe but the whole syntax isnt known yet!, if theres such a thing as divine then maths is it because if you try to explain some of the concepts its just mind blowing

Like one divided by zero (technically undefined) is infinity and how some numbers like pi (transcendental numbers!) are none recursive meaning they are of infinite length the numbers never repeat yet they go to infinity and the universe isnt big enough to write down the exact value

Stochastic systems which are random yet the randomness is the very property that defnes it and allows it to be analysed what can I say its fukin complicated to understand and it takes real work hence explaining it is very hard, it has to be experienced

Concepts like infinity are not easy for the human brain to comprehend as its like infinity is impossible but theres things in maths that are just unbelievable and this is just applied maths

Watts says the galaxies and the big bang is just the firework display, the celebration, the real beauty is the fact that anything exists at all

I wasnt talking about it but now you mention it God has been proved mathematically mate by the greatest minds that ever existed and theres deep debate from both sides about why its right or wrong and you could spend a lifetime. I am not saying I can prove God or understand these teachings like others but its very famous indeed

Godel did it and also Schrodinger

1. My body functions as a pure mechanism according to the laws of nature (Materialist Assumption).

2, Yet I know by direct and incontrovertible experience that I am directing its motions, of which I correctly foresee the effects.

3. Conclusion: I am the Person who controls the motions of the atoms according to the Law of Nature = I am God.

Erwin Schrödinger

And what do you know its that old I am god thing! its very common more common than most would believe when you first hear it you think yeah yeah fuk off what ever but like I said mate an open mind is what you need because its a very deep subject if you entertain it, you cant ever know either way so why not? just for the crack

If there is a god he isnt human!, its not a bloke on a cloud thats just absurd and a product of the human ego thinking we are the most important thing in the universe

If I am god and you are god and everything that exists is god then god is more like an energy force or some shit being everywhere at the same time this isnt my idea this is just one line of conversation that pops up

Read Alan Watts the taboo on knowing who you are if you are genuinely interested, he doesnt like religion either mate you might like him mate

For me Schrodinger was the greatest, the guy was a genius and his equations have gone further than anything I know of to link science to philosophy/religion/sprituality wahtever you wanna call it because he mastered maths the code of the universe

What Is Life? is a 1944 science book written for the lay reader by physicist Erwin Schrödinger. The book was based on a course of public lectures delivered by Schrödinger in February 1943, under the auspices of the Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies at Trinity College, Dublin. The lectures attracted an audience of about 400, who were warned "that the subject-matter was a difficult one and that the lectures could not be termed popular, even though the physicist’s most dreaded weapon, mathematical deduction, would hardly be utilized."[1] Schrödinger's lecture focused on one important question: "how can the events in space and time which take place within the spatial boundary of a living organism be accounted for by physics and chemistry?"[1]

In the book, Schrödinger introduced the idea of an "aperiodic crystal" that contained genetic information in its configuration of covalent chemical bonds. In the 1950s, this idea stimulated enthusiasm for discovering the genetic molecule. Although the existence of DNA had been known since 1869, its role in reproduction and its helical shape were still unknown at the time of Schrödinger's lecture. In retrospect, Schrödinger's aperiodic crystal can be viewed as a well-reasoned theoretical prediction of what biologists should have been looking for during their search for genetic material. Both James D. Watson,[2] and independently, Francis Crick, co-discoverers of the structure of DNA, credited Schrödinger's book with presenting an early theoretical description of how the storage of genetic information would work, and each respectively acknowledged the book as a source of inspiration for their initial researches.

I don't wanna get into DMT but its very interesting indeed and I never even smoked it

:yinyang:

Edited by Davey Jones
4 people like this