Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
darklight1990

Stoner Metal

357 posts in this topic

Exactly what is says on the tin really; is anyone into stoner metal?

Eg: Electric Wizard, Down, Bongzilla, High on fire, Whores of Tijuana, Weedeater, Kyuss etc..

A few examples:

I know it aint gonna' be everyone's cuppa, but Personally I don't think you can beat that heavy, riff laden, droning sound when you're high :skin_up:

Let me know what you guys think!

Check out a band called Taint, I think they'll be up you street and also a band called black breath. Not stoner per say but very riffy, heavy and incredible live. I missed electric wizard last week, gutted. Oh and also The Death of Her Money.

I tried to edit but my phone span out. Ask a mid to move this to entertainment as it will get lost where it is I think.

May seem a strange thing to say, on first appearance, but I think the (for me) daddy of heavy metal bands can be considered stoner metal. I refer, of course, to the mighty Black Sabbath. Absolute stoners (especially early Sabbath, classic Sabbath, proper Sabbath). And as far as metal goes (IMHO), there's Sabbath, then there's everyone else. Black Sabbath & Paranoid are still, for me, the best heavy metal albums of all (and two of my favourite albums of any genre). And Master of Reality is up there with the greats.

Edited by Boojum
1 person likes this

May seem a strange thing to say, on first appearance, but I think the (for me) daddy of heavy metal bands can be considered stoner metal. I refer, of course, to the mighty Black Sabbath. Absolute stoners (especially early Sabbath, classic Sabbath, proper Sabbath). And as far as metal goes (IMHO), there's Sabbath, then there's everyone else. Black Sabbath & Paranoid are still, for me, the best heavy metal albums of all (and two of my favourite albums of any genre).

Bang on the money booj. I've got a hundred bands running through my head now and deciding what to reccomend to people.

Check out a band called Taint, I think they'll be up you street and also a band called black breath. Not stoner per say but very riffy, heavy and incredible live. I missed electric wizard last week, gutted. Oh and also The Death of Her Money.

Nice one for the reccomendations and the move :cheers:

May seem a strange thing to say, on first appearance, but I think the (for me) daddy of heavy metal bands can be considered stoner metal. I refer, of course, to the mighty Black Sabbath. Absolute stoners (especially early Sabbath, classic Sabbath, proper Sabbath). And as far as metal goes (IMHO), there's Sabbath, then there's everyone else. Black Sabbath & Paranoid are still, for me, the best heavy metal albums of all (and two of my favourite albums of any genre). And Master of Reality is up there with the greats.

Absolutely man.. most new stoner bands are simply modernized Sabbath! Gotta' love those riffs :headbang:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F5C0rrncXE

Black Sabbath - Sweet Leaf

Stoners through and through :punk: You can definately hear the template for all future stoner bands in there. Edited by darklight1990

Guys when you post vids any chance of putting a name with it as I'm on my phone and can't watch them. Taint have just split up which is a real shame as they were so underrated. One of the most interesting 'riff' bands I've heard recently are torche. His vocal style is weird at first but really works after a few listens and baroness are a must. First two ep's are brilliant. The red album is a little rubbish but the blue album is a return to form.

Edited by Thommygunn

Guys when you post vids any chance of putting a name with it

Alice in Chains Junkhead

Ahh man, another classic band. I've just had a bowl so I'm currently in musical heaven!

Guys when you post vids any chance of putting a name with it as I'm on my phone and can't watch them. Taint have just split up which is a real shame as they were so underrated. One of the most interesting 'riff' bands I've heard recently are torche. His vocal style is weird at first but really works after a few listens and baroness are a must. First two ep's are brilliant. The red album is a little rubbish but the blue album is a return to form.

Edited :wink: Now checking out Torche!

Cheers rd. Did you hear Jim start died the other day. sad news, tragic guy, last person to see layne Staley alive and blamed himself for his death.

not really sure about genre names. Could Tool be considered stoner metal ? :unsure:

Whether they are or not, I do love them (especially when stoned). Especially Schism, epic tune.

Ahh man, another classic band. I've just had a bowl so I'm currently in musical heaven!

Edited :wink: Now checking out Torche!

They're a definite grower if you don't get on with them straight away, haven't heard the latest album so not sure if they've changed at all. I'm gutted as I want to post some of my current and previous bands but can't due to obvious stealth issues.