Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
-G-

Restricted Roots = Earlier Flowering?

22 posts in this topic

Hi folks

I bought browndirtwarriors master grow guide (if you havn't heard of him, youtube, now!) in which he advises to use plastic refuse sacks (bin liners pretty much) placed in holes in the ground (he stabs them with a garden fork for drainage btw). He says this causes 'forcing' where the plants become root bound and go into flower earlier and more vigorously.

I also got a PM reply from Stanky a while back about growing in Scotland, he says planting in pots sunk in the ground with a hole in the bottom will speed up flowering by a week or two.

Has anyone here noticed this before? Sounds like it could be useful this far north!

-G-

Edited by -G-

Mine did not go into early flowering and i had them rootbound in a 12ltr pot for 3-4 months...

did u do a test between ones with unlimited root growth and ones in pots??

Best testing is done with clones really! But difficult for us guerillas to pull of!

1 person likes this

only way to force early flowering what i know is to cover the plant with complete darkness for 12 hours and then uncover for another 12 of light every day,pain :headpain:

its possible when done under supervision but is just as likely to stress the plant and hermy it if condition are harsh and you cant water etc

its all a gamble at the end of the day

1 person likes this

lol..it works with peppers though!!

did u do a test between ones with unlimited root growth and ones in pots??

Best testing is done with clones really! But difficult for us guerillas to pull of!

Yea thats probably the best way to test this theory, has anyone compared potted plants to ones in the ground?

I did e-mail browndirt about it, he said "yes, do the forcing mate and get my seeds!" :rolleyes:

For this to work you'll need to find the right strain, I would consider NextGens bonkers as i remember indicaDerek mentioning in his diary that bonkers started flowering when they became potbound.

Just giving this thread one last bump incase someone has an answer.

I think this year I'm going to try this method, 50 litre bags in the ground

Look if you just choose the right strains

there's no need to mess about, they will flower early enough under optimal conditions.

I didn't restrict any roofs last year and got several semi-auto phenos.

Surely if this does work sometimes it's because the plant is stressing because it knows it can't finish in it's normal time so it flowers...

Wouldn't you just be inviting the plant to hermie with the stress?

Look if you just choose the right strains

there's no need to mess about, they will flower early enough under optimal conditions.

I didn't restrict any roofs last year and got several semi-auto phenos.

No messing about here mate, I'v got the right strains, but this far north it's still a struggle to get plants to finish on time. Flowering up here starts late August to early September. I'm just trying to confirm what I've heard is true or not, that's all ;)

Surely if this does work sometimes it's because the plant is stressing because it knows it can't finish in it's normal time so it flowers...

Who knows, but that's pretty much saying potted plants will be more prone to turning hermie?

Last year my hollands hope which i had potted in my garden started to flower over a month before the ones i had outside in the ground, but that was one messed up plant.

Who knows, but that's pretty much saying potted plants will be more prone to turning hermie?

I hear what you're saying but there is a difference....the potted plants don't flower by themselves.

We have to switch their light/dark cycle to 12/12.

If the plants flower by themselves because of root restriction then stress has caused them to do so.

I cant see any other reason.

Anyway all conjecture on my part but if you give it a go be sure to let us know how it goes because I too would like to know if there's any truth in this.

Maybe try it on one or two plants and see how things compare?

Good luck bud...

Thats interesting resinous palms :g:

Thanks for the response herbivore, it sounds like you might have nailed it.

I sent another e-mail to browndirt to ask him to explain it further, this is his reply:

Sure, mate, when your plants get root bound it stresses them and they flower earlier and more robustly. Do an experiment. Put some in small pots and some in big pots and see which ones finish first.

hope this helps!

peace

I'm gonna try this out for sure ;)

Edited by -G-