Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
che guevara

(very Basic) Help With My New Light

21 posts in this topic

wow i just gotta reply to the email i sent them (asking them how to plug it in). its as follows: hello

you need to supply a length of cable and a 13a plug. remove the lamp and the screw behind, the gear tray will hinge out, you will then see a 3 pin connector block marked live-neutral-earth. connect to this, you cable entry out of the light unit is up to you , you may drill a hole where required. refit geartray and lamp and turn on

regards

rob jones

address removed

does this look right? cos even if they are a bad company this does seem like good customer support.

Edited by mickle

my friend (whos not an electrician but did do A level physics) said that its a pretty easy job.

having done both A level physics and an electrical apprentiship i fail to see how A level physics can help you wire up a discharge lamp.it may give you an understanding of the science behind working of the lamp,but it dosnt cover such joys as BS 7671.

pedantic mode on[/]

once its been through the ballast (particularly when "striking"), the current and voltage generated are several TIMES more dangerous than that

erm vlad unless youve discovered some new way of making ballast the voltage will increase (around 2-3 kv) but the current will be reduced by the same amount (around 1/10th),however as youve said its still more than enouh to kill ya

[]pedantic mode off[/]

lol

you need to supply a length of cable and a 13a plug. remove the lamp and the screw behind, the gear tray will hinge out, you will then see a 3 pin connector block marked live-neutral-earth. connect to this, you cable entry out of the light unit is up to you , you may drill a hole where required. refit geartray and lamp and turn on

regards

rob jones

Che - Take it back yourself, & shove that light right up his fuckin' arse!

And make sure he pays for the P&P!

nah still think u should kick him in the balls and run :(

HPS lights carry a LOT of the stuff that kills you (can't remember if that's charge or voltage - and me with a physics A level too :ouch: ).

That would be current. Current flows, voltage does not, voltage is just a difference in potential. Hence, stun guns have very high voltages & very little current

Not trying to egg you on.

But my HPS light wire was to short, so I just cut a bit of extention cord up ( like you. ) and got proper connecters ( them plastic things with screws in them ) and wired it up like that. This is on the plug side of the ballast, so im guessing it wont be taking as much exlectricity as the ballest to the light wire.

Im not dead yet and its been like that for a good few months in constant use.

But I bought this thing already wired up. I certainly wouldnt trust myself wireing the whole thing up.

You just gota ask yourself a question. Are you and your family, house, ect. Worth more than what ever ammount you paid for that light?

Oh and having a HPS light exploding into flames isnt a good way of getting rid of chopper coppers :yinyang: