Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
che guevara

(very Basic) Help With My New Light

21 posts in this topic

hi, i just bought a 400w hps light really cheaply, as i saw ages ago someone on this forum or one similar suggest it.it arrived yesterday, but i have one problem. theres no plug to plug it into anywhere. Do big lights usually come like this? Um any suggestions on how I can get it working?

Thanks,

Simon

Spam removed.

I'd be very very careful with that light! If you're not sure, get a qualified electrician to sort it for you.

Personally, i'd send the fuckin' thing back!

Hi,

Did you get a ballast with the light or just the light itself?

Chances are you're expected to buy the triple core wire & wire it yourself - after reading a thread on this subject here a while back I'd agree with Mr B, take it back, it aint worth killing yourself of burning your house down, HPS lights carry a LOT of the stuff that kills you (can't remember if that's charge or voltage - and me with a physics A level too :smoke: ). Mine came like that & I wired it myself before the thread came up, but I'm extremely careful with it, I never touch anything touching the lamp while its on, just in case, and its well away from anything flammable - I was saddled with it, though, you can probably still take it back.

It's where it was bought from that worries me about its safety!

hi, i just bought a 400w hps light really cheaply, as i saw ages ago someone on this forum or one similar suggest it.it arrived yesterday, but i have one problem.

That's exactly the reason why we don't allow any growshop recomendations on the forums.

They are not known as fastshite round these parts for nothing :rolleyes:

The best advice really is to send it back mate, and ask for a refund.

If you don't get one or he tries to palm you off with bullshit, let me know ;)

its not worth the risk send it back! :rolleyes:

Yea sounds kinda outta order to me for them not to wire it safely for you :realcool:

If you get a refund,id look at the enviro option,believe you can get them right here,seems a lot safer to me,and cheaper to me B)

Edited by malawi monster

its not worth killing yourself over a dodgey light, if they dont take it back kick him in the balls and run! :smoke:

Fuck me I laughed when I read that...................Keep up the good work....! :wassnnme:

last time i look for a dodgey bargain online. is it really that much of a death trap? i managed to find a guide tellin me how to wire up a plug by cutting an extention cable in half but assuming i did that is there really a huge problem with fastlights lights?

thanks,

si

but assuming i did that is there really a huge problem with fastlights lights?

thanks,

si

have a read of this and make your own mind up :ouch:

if you're at the "beginner" stage in electrics, get an electrician to do it for you, you need proper heatproof wire, connected correctly with proper cable tethers, and if the ballast has exposed connectors, that must be confined inside an earthed, vented metal enclosure! :(

Mains electricity can kill - once its been through the ballast (particularly when "striking"), the current and voltage generated are several TIMES more dangerous than that! :smoke:

Like everybody else, my advice is not to take ANY risks with electrics- either get it done properly, or demand your money back (threaten the bastards with trading standards - what they've sold you is dangerous and breaks every rule in the book!) - if that falls- kick'em in the ghoolies, shove the hps up their arse, then plug it in! :ouch:

ye i wud send it back but im really not sure- it will cost me basicly £40- £20 for their postage, which theres no way they will refund and also the £20 it'l cost for me to send it back. :) plus also the box is absolutely massive and heavy + i dont have a car so id have to carry it a mile 2 the nearest post office.

vlad my friend (whos not an electrician but did do A level physics) said that its a pretty easy job. hmmm.