Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HorTiCuLtUrE420

1st Grow..few Questions..

Ok this is my first time growing and I have been reading a crapload about everything, but I have pretty much come up with what I woud like to do, if my space will allow...I have decided to grow with hydroponics even though I know you will say I should start soil...i just feel more comfortable this way. but what I need some advice on is the following:

1. System...After alot of reading I have narrowed it to two...the DWC(i believe) method with a bubbler, or the General Hydroponics waterfarm controller kit? The space I am working with is a walk-in closet: Height: 7'10", Depth:5', Width:5'6". Which of these would work better in the space? i know the Gh holds 8 plants which is what I would like to work up to in time(not rushing anything since im still learning), so i figured 2 or 3 would be fine to start with. No on my lighting I am undecided if I should go with a 250W or 400wHPS? and if I should add in any flouros with either? I dont want to give off too much heat in the amount of space, but the opening of the closet has plenty of ventillation but i will be adding in some fans anyways...

2. the seeds I have chosen well there are four and I am trying to decide on two..White widow, Ice2000, NL, and crystal, which I have found on www.amsterdammarijuanaseeds.com. Any suggestions there?

3. Nutes...I have heard only good things about GH 3part flora series...but is that only good for flowering or can it be diluted for the Veg state as well? I also read somewhere that you should try to use 2 types of nute for Veg and two for flowering(not at the same time but like rotate?) Is this true? also i am guess flower food is the same thing as nutrients right? If you know better nutes im interested.

4. Length of Veg...since i dnt want super huge plants I was considering letting them Veg for about a month or so before intiating flowering...guessing that they will be around 10" by that time or so...how much will this affect my yield, or am I way off? Im all ears buddy!

ok sorry this was soooo long but I have done so much reading about other peoples stuff I figured I should just ask and get some answers for my setup specifically...

Oh yea the bubbler I am thinking of constructing can be found here: http://www.1stmarijuanagrowerspage.com/hydroponics-3.html (let me know what you think) Sorry guys if i bombarded you with Q's but you all know what it was like when you first started..im just super excited about it all...I love Mary Jane!

Ok im done for now anything els ei can think of ill wait till all of your headaches go away from this long ass post..haha Im OUT!

J

remember...smoke pot and bring peace, love and 420 baby!!

Oh yea haha forgot to let ya know I will definately be around here alot from now on.since you can never learn too much and I will keep everyone updated on my crop as it goes through her beuaty stages..

J

Ok this is my first time growing and I have been reading a crapload about everything, but I have pretty much come up with what I woud like to do, if my space will allow...I have decided to grow with hydroponics even though I know you will say I should start soil...

Hello!!!

Before I start to try and answer your questions, just wanted to say WELCOME :spliff:

Now then...

Yes most peeps will advise that you start in soil, but that is usually because those starting want a method that is as cheap as possible. Just coming to the end of my first grow, and chose the GH WaterFarm as this was the ONLY hydro kit which could fit into such a small space. Plus like you...

i just feel more comfortable this way.

I am currently growing in a cupboard that measures 30.5cm (1 ft) wide, about 90cm (3ft) long, and about 1.6 metres high (about 5ft?).

but what I need some advice on is the following:

1. System...After alot of reading I have narrowed it to two...the DWC(i believe) method with a bubbler, or the General Hydroponics waterfarm controller kit? The space I am working with is a walk-in closet: Height: 7'10", Depth:5', Width:5'6". Which of these would work better in the space? i know the Gh holds 8 plants which is what I would like to work up to in time (not rushing anything since im still learning), so i figured 2 or 3 would be fine to start with.

You may want to PM Uglybudly, PIMP, or Tugboat, as they would be able to help you more on DWC than I can. With that amount of space (you lucky bastard!) I would forget the GH WaterFarm, and go for the GH AquaFarm. Mebbe that's the one you mean, as the WaterFarm will be no means hold that many plants. Two maximum I reckon and even then they will need to be topped so that you get two main colas instead of one. In my next grow, ideally, I will want one plant per pot, but I think that I may have to squeeze two per pot this time and just not veg them for as long to keep them manageable...

No on my lighting I am undecided if I should go with a 250W or 400wHPS? and if I should add in any flouros with either? I dont want to give off too much heat in the amount of space, but the opening of the closet has plenty of ventillation but i will be adding in some fans anyways...

600 watt is what I would go with as it works out the most efficient of all lights. The method most peeps use is to calculate the square footage of your area (around 25 square feet?) and aim for 50watts per square foot. This means that you should be trying to light your GR with two 600 watters? No doubt someone who knows more about that will correct me if I'm wrong I know that with me, a 250w is more than enough, and I am going to put a 125w envirolite in there to supplement my lighting. If I had proper extraction, then I reckon that even I could run a 600w in such a small space, but I am happy with what I've got for now. If you are seriously worried about the heat issue, then I would suggest that you get a 600w and see how you manage with that. Ventilation is the key ;)

2. the seeds I have chosen well there are four and I am trying to decide on two..White widow, Ice2000, NL, and crystal, which I have found on www.amsterdammarijuanaseeds.com. Any suggestions there?

The seeds are down to personal choice. I solely look for Indicas, as they stay short, and give me the type of buzz that I look for. Only you can decide if a strain is suited for you have you had a look atUK420 shop? Some lovely choices, and cheap too!

3. Nutes...I have heard only good things about GH 3part flora series...but is that only good for flowering or can it be diluted for the Veg state as well? I also read somewhere that you should try to use 2 types of nute for Veg and two for flowering(not at the same time but like rotate?) Is this true? also i am guess flower food is the same thing as nutrients right? If you know better nutes im interested.

I haven't had the choice to use those nutes yet, currently using Ionics and I'm happy with 'em.

The GH Flora series is a 3 part nutrient where you use the FloraGro, FloraBloom and FloraMicro in combination in differing proprotions throughtout the plant's lifecycle. So during the veg period you would use more of the Gro in relation to the Micro and Bloom, and for the flowering period you would use more Bloom in relation to the Micro and Gro. They usually come with a mixing chart as a guide and from there you can experiment as you like...

4. Length of Veg...since i dont want super huge plants I was considering letting them Veg for about a month or so before intiating flowering...guessing that they will be around 10" by that time or so...how much will this affect my yield, or am I way off? Im all ears buddy!

If you are starting from seed then you will need a little longer than that! From clones, a month would be fine, some people don't even wait that long! From seed however, you will need to wait until the plants at least show sexual maturity, and the plant is producing side shoots alternatively instead of symmetrically :( . A general rule, is that the longer you veg for the more bud you will end up with, but you have to take into consideration the amount of time that you are vegging for.

ok sorry this was soooo long but I have done so much reading about other peoples stuff I figured I should just ask and get some answers for my setup specifically...

Yeah, you could check out my grow diary as well, just click on the link in my signature ;) .

Oh yea the bubbler I am thinking of constructing can be found here: http://www.1stmarijuanagrowerspage.com/hydroponics-3.html (let me know what you think) Sorry guys if i bombarded you with Q's but you all know what it was like when you first started..im just super excited about it all...I love Mary Jane!

I checked it out, looks slightly yankified to me, but not everything is perfect :stoned:!!!

As for homemade, there's alsohere as well m8... Very good starter ideas there as well.

Never worry about the amount of questions m8, everyones gotta ask, and as someone once said to me, "G if yah don't ask, you don't get!"

No such thing as a silly question, just silly answers!!!

Hope all that helps or at least points you in the right direction.

Peace.