Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Loam Gnome

The Outdoor Drying Thread

743 posts in this topic

Originally posted as a response to Stealthman by my previous UK420 identity Intoxicus, being reposted here by Loam Gnome (previously Intoxicus) due to little response in an old obscure thread.

Lets hear what people think of this set up idea for uk lat 52...

Outdoor drying may be a good plan, this can be done but it will take some extra effort. We planning on doing it because of a ludicrously big harvest expected lol:D

This was a good find on another forum

'I am an engineer. The humidity is a function of the air temperature. When you lower the air temperature the quantity of water that is held by the air is lowered as well. The process of drying requires that the ambient humidity of the air is less than the percentage content of water in the product. Then the water moves to try and equalize the water content. However the changing of water from liquid to vapor requires a (relatively speaking) huge amount of energy. This is why water evaporating off the skin causes you to feel cooler because the thermal energy required is pulled directly from the skin. The accepted method of kiln drying, such as lumber etc., is to heat the room, not only does this allow for the energy needed to evaporate the water but raises the amount of water the air will hold. Then a cold source is needed, something like a radiator configuration of pvc pipes work well, with cold air or water running through. The moisture in the air will then condense on the pipes. A tray and a drain will be needed to collect the condensate and to drain it out of the drying area. The drain is important because the water will simply re-evaporate in the hot air if it isn't drained out. Commercial applications use ammonia refrigeration coils to condense the water on, but a large barrel of cool water and circulated through will work too.'

and this too

'we use 10-16 man tents and a small coleman camp heater and battery operated fans and we can dry in the rain if we have to ,been doing that for years. nobody else around here does it i know

.'

People may complain that lpg has a lot of liquid in it, but if it raises the tents temperature adequately then this is not a significant threat, as the air becomes far more capable of holding liquid by the temperature rise than that released bt heating it. That said mould resistant strains must be a good thing here....

The first few days could even be in an unvented tent to initiate a sweat cure process.

We planning on building a tunnel, bender style with hazel rods, a heavy duty army surplus khaki tarp covered in british army style camo netting. Many strings between hazel rods for hanging from. Tarp on floor inside to catch the droppings, coleman lpg gas heater , maybe a Black cat type or similar. Obviously the longer you can take the better as fast drying = harsh smoke, but depends on rot or not.

In preparation for this spray all plants throughout flowering weekly with greencure solution with added neem oil to retard spores in colas. Place a small saucer in dry tent with 30 drops of each of Neem and Tea tree essential oils per day (so they can evaporate into the air slowly as they are anti-fungals) to retard mould growth intent and ventilate well too.

Before using your tarp or tent open it up and treat with a strong spray of tea tree and neem in water solution and then dry well so no spores on inside of tent come dry time.

A tripod could be made of metal pipes for inside the tent to act as a crude condensator. It would be placed on a plastic sheet, which was arranged so as to collect the water from the pipes and run it out of the bottom of the dry tent.

Let me know what you think.. folks..... :(

i would love to see this set-up in action? I asked a few questions about this myself... if your harvest is mold free you can slow dry it under a tarp, just a cover with open sides.

give it shot but i wouldnt rely on it for the mass of the harvest just incase??? maybe trail run 10% see how it works out for you.

your harvest will have to be almost mold free mind.

lot of the yanks dryoutdoors some good info about it in julians massive outdoor thread from another site

i think one of the old gg threads from this site the guy dried outdoors in a derelict brick building ,will have a look

your plan looks good def worth a try good luck with it

i would love to see this set-up in action? I asked a few questions about this myself... if your harvest is mold free you can slow dry it under a tarp, just a cover with open sides.

give it shot but i wouldnt rely on it for the mass of the harvest just incase??? maybe trail run 10% see how it works out for you.

your harvest will have to be almost mold free mind.

Nice one that is a very sensible idea indeed in some ways. However, i would rather lose my crop to mould than attract the law to my home. I am planning on even stashing the final dried product on site (buried in air tight containers) so as to not have loads around me at home so that it all stays completely stealthy. :unsure:

So you see my system must work out..... lol

lot of the yanks dryoutdoors some good info about it in julians massive outdoor thread from another site

i think one of the old gg threads from this site the guy dried outdoors in a derelict brick building ,will have a look

your plan looks good def worth a try good luck with it

Hi Smokin. Tried googling 'Julians massive outdoor thread' but just random results came up. :unsure: Can you remember what site it was on at all... lol

hi theyre try searching for MASSIVE OUTDOOR COMMERCIAL GROW its on a well known cannabis forum I C it on theyre MAG :wink:

very long thread 195pages .2yr long thread by julian lot of good info in theyre will take a bit of searchin to find the outdoor dry info

Edited by smokinweedgi

dried most of my stuff outdoors last year with great results, just hung it under some trees in a very windy spot, was there for 2 weeks before it started molding.

spraying weekly with neem oil and greencure sounds like a recipe for ditch flavoured weed

Edited by ballzozaki

hi theyre try searching for MASSIVE OUTDOOR COMMERCIAL GROW its on a well known cannabis forum I C it on theyre MAG :wink:

very long thread 195pages .2yr long thread by julian lot of good info in theyre will take a bit of searchin to find the outdoor dry info

Thats a classic thread, I think it originally started on the 'overgrow' site then over to IC*** when OG got shut down. I tried printing that thread off once for some bedtime reading but it would've ran in to 700 odd pages and that was 18 months ago!

I was thinking of drying my bud outdoors aswell due to living with people who dont want the house been reeked out with pongy skunk hehe.. Was thinking of building a bender or an outdoor basic structure made out of hazel .. would need to make it properly dry in there though :)

dried most of my stuff outdoors last year with great results, just hung it under some trees in a very windy spot, was there for 2 weeks before it started molding.

spraying weekly with neem oil and greencure sounds like a recipe for ditch flavoured weed

You ever tried greencure? It is meant to be a food grade product. Know what you mean though when it comes to the neem :puke: , its a very good point.....cheers :)

So when you did it it went mouldy? How mouldy? Am I right that you are in Ireland Ballzy?

Edited by Loam Gnome

You ever tried greencure? It is meant to be a food grade product. Know what you mean though when it comes to the neem :puke: , its a very good point.....cheers :)

So when you did it it went mouldy? How mouldy? Am I right that you are in Ireland Ballzy?

never tried greencure but its baking soda coloured green apparently, Baking soda + water works ok for myself + high silica teas during flower

i havent heard of using neem oil during flower

my stuff only went moldy because i got lazy and left it for too long(2 weeks), 4 -7 days perfect and pretty dry(taken inside and finished off), think i only got a tiny bit of mold in that period 4-7 day period. Drying also took place under near constant rain.

ask some danish growers in icmag (esbe) about their anti mold spray, its pricey but lasts ages and works well

and yes from ireland

ask some danish growers in icmag (esbe) about their anti mold spray, its pricey but lasts ages and works well

and yes from ireland

sounds like amistar costs 300 quid for 5ltres some crazy fungicidal miracle gear you heavy dilute it and spray on plant a few times times a season tempted buy/try it a little lasts a long way

sounds like amistar costs 300 quid for 5ltres some crazy fungicidal miracle gear you heavy dilute it and spray on plant a few times times a season tempted buy/try it a little lasts a long way

thats the one, thanks ,any idea of shelf life?

I was thinking of drying my bud outdoors aswell due to living with people who dont want the house been reeked out with pongy skunk hehe.. Was thinking of building a bender or an outdoor basic structure made out of hazel .. would need to make it properly dry in there though :)

Yep the 'bud bender' has a nice ring to it for sure.... My concerns are with how much ventilation is required. Many people stress that lots of air circulation is required but, there is also a method of curing known as a 'sweat cure' which i need to find out more about, and seems to involve a much more closed system...

never tried greencure but its baking soda coloured green apparently, Baking soda + water works ok for myself + high silica teas during flower

i havent heard of using neem oil during flower

my stuff only went moldy because i got lazy and left it for too long(2 weeks), 4 -7 days perfect and pretty dry(taken inside and finished off), think i only got a tiny bit of mold in that period 4-7 day period. Drying also took place under near constant rain.

and yes from ireland

Well i got a great supply of horsetails and mare's tails growing around here and there is no plant higher in silica than them (chop into small pieces and soak in a bucket o rain water for 2 + days). Great for feeding with (especially if wood ashes are added to bucket etc etc). Do you mean though, spraying with horsetail teas as well? I am not aware of any anti-fungal properties in horsetail (even though I am a trained medical herbalist). Guessing it just strengthens the plants structure and immunity from inside. :mellow: