Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest 2Sore2Care

... Ducting. ... A bit of an odd one...

So I've had this veg box running for a few years now. It's about a metre deep, two wide and just about a metre and a half tall...

It's been a cracking veg box. Great growing environment and just about the right size for the single 250Watt MH ballast and bulb...

..... Anyways... The last week has been a bit of a puzzle..... despite no changes to the system, the humidity started to shoot up. I checked the thermostat (A home-made jobby that simply turns the exhaust fan at the required temp) and it still switches the fan on and off ok... And the fan itself could be heard working strongly......

Meanwhile, the humidity has got so bad the door has swollen enough to make it really difficult to close... And when the door opens again, a wave of heat and moisture spills out.... I check the passive inlet holes... all free and open but there's water dripping in the box.

Wtf is going on....??

Here's what. That ducting in the picture has the exhaust fan on the right, and exits the wall on the left....

..... See the sag in the middle?..... It was FULL of water. Must have been a couple of litres in the thing, completely blocking it like the bend in your toilet cistern.....

I suspect the melting snow and ice must have run down the wall where it doesn't usually, and filled it up..... Or.. It could have been the result of condensation over the years...

Anyway..... Worth checking your ducting if it sags.... Just in case. :yep:

post-59674-1291670035_thumb.jpg

Edited by 2Sore2Care

is your roof above the box sound 2sore2?

is your roof above the box sound 2sore2?

Ummmm. Not entirely sure what you mean Chunk.

The veg box is basically a box made from mdf, inside a brick-built shed.

Any help? :yinyang:

oops sorry 2sore i thought you were in a loft but i suppose the same question better worded still applies, so....

is the roof of the shed intact (tis all i could think of that might be causing it tbh. with the freezing weather we've had recently) ?

train of thought is that the cold weather seems to bring out any weaknesses in buildings and if any water has got in then froze it'd expand the small gap it got through quite a lot and would worsen quickly.

prob totally wrong but thought i'd throw it out there for ya :yinyang:

thats mental...:rofl:..well spotted n cheers for the heads up.

oops sorry 2sore i thought you were in a loft but i suppose the same question better worded still applies, so....

is the roof of the shed intact (tis all i could think of that might be causing it tbh. with the freezing weather we've had recently) ?

train of thought is that the cold weather seems to bring out any weaknesses in buildings and if any water has got in then froze it'd expand the small gap it got through quite a lot and would worsen quickly.

prob totally wrong but thought i'd throw it out there for ya lol

Ah! Yeah. I see what you mean Chunk. lol The end of the ducting is a good fit in the piece of wood screwed to the wall with a polystyrene 'gasket' of a half-inch or so between it and the wall. 'Tother side of the single-brick wall is the greenhouse which is fixed to the opposite side of the bricks you can see in the pic.

It's a flat-roofed concrete-slab type roof, and while it's still intact the wall itself is showing signs of age with ivy growing through in the odd spot...

The more I think about it, the more I think it was the melting snow trickling down the wall and straight into it, filling it up as our outside temps rose over the last day or so.

Good guess mate, and pretty much on the button I reckon. :rofl:

Bizzarro:.. Yeah, proper odd one.

Just when you think you have it covered................... :yep:

Edited by 2Sore2Care

They sell condensation traps for ducting, after seeing yours I'm ordering mine today.

Had exactly the same thing happen, though it was in-reverse and on a much smaller scale...

Got a bend like yours in a humidifier inlet pipe running into a mushroom growing cabinet, resulting in no-entry for the humid air that the 'shrooms needed. Fekked up me fungus, dude.

Glad you figured it out!