Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
silvester growdrobe

hempy bucket help

84 posts in this topic

hello.

so, i've been thinking of going down the passive hydro route (after four attempts i've realised i can't actually grow in compost :rofl: ) and have decided on hempy buckets, at least for one grow, because it looks pretty easy.

on my shopping list so far is a bag of perlite (was probably going to ignore the vermiculite, unless i see some when i'm out somewhere) and some nutes. that's about it.

so. my questions?

what nutes would people recommend?

and do i NEED a PH/EC pen? that last one could be a real sticking point, i'd never realised just how expensive they are! if there is any brand of nutes where i could just PH my water to a certain level using one of those test kits and then add Xml of nutes i'd be happy with that!

also, i live in a hard water area, would i be more likely to need PH down or PH up? i've got no access to RO water.

sorry about all the questions, but i'm a complete hydro ignoramous so any and all help is very much appreciated :(

if anyone wants to add to this thread with any hempy info/Qs/experiences, go right ahead. the more the merrier.

Hey dude,

Never done hempys but i use passive hydro with coco. Well just finishing my first hydro grow really. From what i've read with hempys is that perlite is not nice to work with. I've heard coco hempys are more workable with the bottom 2inch with clay pebbles. Also fytocell is suppose to be very good from what ive made out from tutu's and lazi's post. Im going to try it soon as its got great wick action, loads of air circulartion and reusable. Alot easy to break away from root balls than coco.

I dont use an EC meter as i was confident(compost user prevously) with reading and slowly building my nutes up; most i go is 3/4 strength feed. I use the manual ph test kit, very simple & has done me well. Cheap as chips too, 1bottle should last me 3 grows.

No need for ro water unless you using the lucas formula.

Hope this helps.

Eta, cant recommend nutrients as of yet as havent tried the end product. But by the growth part Hesi Coco & there Pk13/14, its very simple and effective, very impressed.

Edited by stickyblack

I've used 100% perlite in hempy buckets and 11L pots. Ended up only doing 11L pots for no other reason than convenience, they fit the trays I was using better. If you can't feed (almost) every day, the hempy buckets will have the edge on 11L pots ime.

Then I tried Fytocell, the difference is night and day but I suspect a once a day feeding isn't enough for Perlite as it doesn't hold water that well. When Fytocell wasn't available, I sourced some vermiculite and followed hempys instructions. Worked better than straight perlite but not as good as Fytocell.

The £3 pH test kit is good enough for passive hydro, the more often you feed, the less accurate the pH measurement needs to be, just don't be mean with the runoff, that's what gives you the all green plants.

If you treat yourself to a ro unit, then you can use any nutes you choose without ever doing a pH check apart from getting the res correct first time.

Mix up the nutes first then check the pH.

Some nutes need pH up, others pH down. A bottle of each won't break the bank but use the proper grow shop stuff, if its from the kitchen it won't work properly.

Whatever nutes you use, make it full strength, I learned that the hard way first try. All nutes work, I prefer the lucas formula because it's one mix for all plants and no need to flush coming up to harvest but GH 3 part, follow the label will work well too, as will they all.

See my sig for how easy passive hydro is.

My pure perlite buckets did poorly where as my per/verm and pure fytocell ones did really well I'd say you defo want that bit of vermiculite.

Remember perlite dust is poisonousness.

You can do coco hempys as well and they work really well.

Pure hydro nute fed hempys probably have the edge though.

I started with Hempy buckets, using perlite for the res and then straight coco for the medium. Watering to 10 percent run off in 10l buckets just seem'd wasteful!

I am now in 6 litre AIR POTS. And the simply ROCK. So if you have a hydro shop close do yourself a big favour. Start your seeds in 1l Airpots. Then transfer to 6/7 L ones. Don't use 10l ones if your hand watering, they are simply to big to man handle.

The root growth is simply Mad

post-57441-1284884528_thumb.jpg

Here is another Pic of root growth in 7 days

post-57441-1284884690_thumb.jpg

And a final shot of one plant in final pots.

post-57441-1284884884_thumb.jpg

Edited by Azzazal

thanks for all the replies lol

so as it stands, i'm either going to get some fytocell or make sure i get some vermiculite to mix with the perlite. get some hydro nutes (haven't decided on what brand), some PH up and down, and one of the cheap PH test kits.

thats it right?

then just mix up the nutes as per instructions on the bottle, adjust the PH and i'm away!

when buying nutes, what would i need? there seems to be so many additives and things with hydro and so much conflicting info and, like i said, i really don't know much about hydro.

thanks again peoples.

Hey fella,

Sounds like your on the right track. If you dont want to waste your perlite, try the coco method, use the bottom 2inch at the bottom of the pot with perlite, and the top fully coco. And maby save the fytocell for a later change. Atleast this saves you from using so much perlite.

Its up to you what nutrients you use.. as to feeding just build your way up to full strength in .5mls with base nutrients, reading to the plants needs. Its up to you how many bottles you use, more doesnt mean better though. I only us the 2 bottles, like i said base(1part) + pk addative.. the only other addative i could recommend from what i've picked up while reading is root health/growth products, i want to try Canadian Express's. I personally wont be using any more than these.

Edited by stickyblack

This is a single plant in a 65l hempy coco/fytocell mix above hole perlite base.

<2 weeks into flower

post-15022-1284912559_thumb.jpg

using coco for a hempy i assume that you'd have to use coco nutes?

@tutu

that plant is huge!

This is a single plant in a 65l hempy coco/fytocell mix above hole perlite base.

<2 weeks into flower

Maddness :stoned:

How long did you veg that beast

<2 weeks into flower

Maddness lol

How long did you veg that beast

6 weeks from clone in a root riot cube, 3 repots, super cropped only. (I'm getting pretty good at super cropping)

silvester growdrobe yes coco Hempy's== coco nutes.

All the praise I need for my plant is 10 oz before xmas I'll be surprised if I don't do it.

Do you think a 35 litre hempy/some sort of passive hydro would be ok for a single plant 400 w grow tutu?

Two fifteen litres maybe?

I'm seriously considering it i must say.... Fil the jars of my favourite, then get back in the compo to find some good mums. :wassnnme:

Do you think a 35 litre hempy/some sort of passive hydro would be ok for a single plant 400 w grow tutu?

Two fifteen litres maybe?

I'm seriously considering it i must say.... Fil the jars of my favourite, then get back in the compo to find some good mums. :wassnnme:

400w 35l hempy with a scrog 1 plant sounds like a smart man who's not going to jail and is going to do a g/w to me.

Feed daily but if you miss 2 days don't worry, Hempys are amazing best results are daily fed but great results with every other day and even after 3 days plants will still perform.

It's ideal for the idle grower ask Lazi (He lives up to his name sometimes) I feed daily but I know if I go away friday come Sunday plants are fine and I haven't took under 0.8g/w since I started hempy's and haven't grown any other way since (I took over g/w twice and under once this time is fourth go.)

I took 37oz in this tent with 1 plant before but lost 7oz to rot but you know 30oz is still not bloody bad.

Best advice Tutu can give after sorting environment out is buy Granules use root stims.

I just switched from 600w to 1000w to finish flowering.

Edited by Tutu