Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
namkha

Afghanistan Cannabis Survey 2009

45 posts in this topic

Afghanistan is the world’s biggest producer of opium. Less known is the fact that 10,000 to 24,000

hectares of cannabis are grown in Afghanistan every year. While other countries have even larger cannabis

cultivation, the astonishing yield of the Afghan cannabis crop (145 kg of resin per hectare as compared to

around 40 kg/ha in Morocco) makes Afghanistan the world’s biggest producer of hashish, estimated at

between 1,500 and 3,500 tons a year.

This first-ever Afghanistan Cannabis Survey is based on survey data from 1,634 villages in 20 provinces. It

shows that there is large-scale cannabis cultivation in exactly half (17 out of 34) of Afghanistan’s

provinces.

Money is one of the main reasons: cannabis reaps a high return. The gross income per hectare of cannabis

(US$ 3,900) is higher than from opium (US$ 3,600). Cannabis does not need much labour cost: in

Afghanistan it is three times cheaper to cultivate a hectare of cannabis than a hectare of opium. As a result,

the net income of a hectare of cannabis is US$ 3,341 compared to US$ 2,005 per hectare of opium...

read on...

ht tp://www.unodc.org/documents/crop-monitoring/Afghanistan/Afghanistan_opium_survey_2009_summary.pdf

Edited by namkha
3 people like this

I would nevar have thought the farmers would make more from growing cannabis than opium.

yeh, and imagine if it was legal and the farmers got a fair trade price

if they want to stop "Talebanisation" and the insurgency, then how about letting the farmers make an honest living from cannabis?

I rekcon it will work a lot better than bombing them, shooting them, and ripping up their fields every year

13 people like this

yeh, and imagine if it was legal and the farmers got a fair trade price

if they want to stop "Talebanisation" and the insurgency, then how about letting the farmers make an honest living from cannabis?

I rekcon it will work a lot better than bombing them, shooting them, and ripping up their fields every year

I read somewhere they stopped burning crops a while ago, I remember when this conflict started that the armed forces had trouble going through the fields, the reactions I remember from the anti-drug crowd were to be expected but the fields pictured were crops grown in very high density for fiber.

I don't expect americans to know the difference

I don't expect americans soldiers to know the difference

fixed that for you. :doh:

fixed that for you. :execute:

well the comments were from americans, not soldiers, the fact is that they couldn't move through the thick fields, I don't think they were burning these fields as part of their drug eradication program

I read somewhere they stopped burning crops a while ago,

check the report --- there has been a major eradication program for cannabis in the traditional Northern areas of Balkh (Mazar-i-Sharif) etc. which has pushed the price up there, and moved a lot of the growing to southern provinces

the poppy eradication program was stepped up recently too - they have been trialing biological agents such as poppy fungus, developed in Uzbekistan, Tadjikistan and Afghanistan... there have been major outbreaks recently

I remember when this conflict started that the armed forces had trouble going through the fields

in the south in insurgent Pashtun provinces such as Helmand and Kandahar cannabis fields can also have a strategic purpose --- for hiding in - and it's said it can be difficult for night vision equipment to pick people out in cannabis fields, as they retain warmth and humidity overnight

edit: and afaik there is no growing for fibre in Afghanistan

Edited by namkha

A nice piece from somewhere like Mazar-i-Shariff is worth well more than any opium IMHO :wink: thanks for the link namkha :D

I read somewhere they stopped burning crops a while ago,

check the report --- there has been a major eradication program for cannabis in the traditional Northern areas of Balkh (Mazar-i-Sharif) etc. which has pushed the price up there, and moved a lot of the growing to southern provinces

the poppy eradication program was stepped up recently too - they have been trialing biological agents such as poppy fungus, developed in Uzbekistan, Tadjikistan and Afghanistan... there have been major outbreaks recently

I remember when this conflict started that the armed forces had trouble going through the fields

in the south in insurgent Pashtun provinces such as Helmand and Kandahar cannabis fields can also have a strategic purpose --- for hiding in - and it's said it can be difficult for night vision equipment to pick people out in cannabis fields, as they retain warmth and humidity overnight

yes, I had heard about the fungus, probably in a discussion on this forum.

from the footage I have seen, it seems like a great hiding place, at least at the lower elevations, lush forests for gigantic plants

are there any peaceful provinces where cannabis culture is still present?

very interesting read , cheers bro.

read this a while back and its rather interesting. fair trade weed sounds a nice idea

fixed that for you. ;)

Hahahahahahaha ;)

You fixed his opinion lol

yeh, ISAF has been made up of soldiers from plenty of places - Canada, USA, UK, Germany, Holland... and god knows...

re. peaceful provinces... I think the North is generally pretty safe compared to the South and East... but it's a risky place to be

Brilliant read, thanks Namhka :guitar:

The very last photo is nuts - the size of those buds lol

B :ninja:

Edited by Bonsai Labs

Afghanistan: Birth of a Narco-State

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/our-drugs-war/4od#3111530

online for 4 more days

starts off badly, but the last 10 minutes are good

good quote from Richard Holbrooke - US Special Envoy to Afghanistan

"The Western policies against the opium crop have been a failure. They did not result in any damage to the Taleban. But they put farmers out of work, they alienated people, and drove people into the arms of the Taleban. And the US has wasted hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars on this program. And that is going to end. We are not going to support crop eradication."

so perhaps this year they have stopped crop eradication.... ?

Edited by namkha