Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Artificial Emotion

Why does organic weed taste better?

172 posts in this topic

For the less informed, and those trying to keep it as Organic as poss this info is priceless.

Thank You OT1 for taking the time to post your test findings, if push came to shove i doubt

i'd be able to tell much difference in taste, but i still know which i'd prefer to smoke.

:)

The question was Why does organic weed taste better?

No one answered, there were a lot of posts saying it does not, or if grow right no one can tell the difference. All were expressing opinions, every one has a right to an opinion that does not mean its true.

I have been gardening and growing for a very long time, in that time I have done my best to continually learn and get the best from my plants be they fruit vegetables or puff.

The environment I have to grow cannabis in, is indoors, I’m fully aware that I’m in charge of that environment, air, light, water root medium and food, I have constantly tried to make it the best I can and improve the environment, I always post what I find, I try and share any improvements.

Given I have the environment I have, compromised as it may be, its what I have and the best I can make it. The experiments with nutrients in a compost base and the buds from resultant feeds were grown in that environment, not outdoors under real sun rain and the like. I have developed the growing medium by adding rock dust and inoculating with a micro heard as I learned about them, each step was tested against the previous to see if any improvements or degradations were found, I only ever change one step at a time. I always report any new findings to let people know what I found if I think its a valid advance, people can try it or not, its their choice, thats how the pool of knowlege grows, every one takes the info we have today for granted, when I started there was no information on growing canna indoors at all.

In the past I have used nft, flood and drain and aeroponics, I compared buds grown in these systems with differing nutrients against those grown in compost, with organic fertilisers, I drew my own opinions, and always tested by giving samples to a wide group of friends and colleagues. None of them know what was what, they have no axe to grind, you soon learn who will give an honest appraisal of the samples and not just get wasted. Its all in their favor really they get to smoke some really nice weed and I get feedback on each bud.

I do the same thing with my seed making, I draw my opinions on my latest cooking, if I’m happy I give good growers I know seed to test, I always ask for brutal honestly, no bullshitting Ot, or buttering me up, that gives me a diversity of opinion and consensus appears on some points both good and bad.

I have only been scrutinizing the end quality of buds other than my own opinion since the mid eighties, the conclusion I have drawn from all the testing and feedback is there are vast differences between well grown mineralized/organically produced bud and that grow with chemical hydro useing the same clone lines, all be it from the limited indoor environ. They are only my conclusions, you can read and think or say what you like, at least I have tried to verify by testing.

I would say it is correct that for the fullest expression of a cannabis plants potential it has to be grown in the same latitudes and altitudes as cannabis was selected and evolved under. We don’t have those conditions in the uk. I don’t have a clue how much of a tropical/equatorial mix of genes can be expressed in our indoor garden, I’m too old to settle somewhere new where I could find out, any how its a side issue and not really relevant to the original question but a very interesting topic none the less.

I fully agree and understand your point. I have already mentioned this before; I think a comparison section would add so much to this site.I suggested a product comparison, but it could be a comparison of anything; hydro vs organic, cloning methods, nute brands and products etc. It started out with me questioning the difference PK 13/14 really made, if any, to everything from production to quality. I'd really like to see the mods of the site do it. I'd be willing to contribute definitely.

The single most important bit of your post is, in my opinion, what you say about the pool of knowledge. There are still so many gray areas regarding so many things. Comparisons and bits of knowledge are scattered around, but I think it'd be good to have it in one place specifically for it. It'd add a new dimension to an already very informative site.

E2A: You could even have requests as to what you would like to see tested, what criteria to be met and how. Ask members to engage in a trial as you did with the various seed batches.

I'd like to know what you think.

Edited by papaduc

To add my own two cents worth I agree with OT about plants realising potential, and the fact that in our geographical positioning outdoor were playing second best, and also indoor too - lights aint cutting it, however a bad workman blames his tools lol

I also agree with Olaf too, i have been growing weed for a very long time, before then I had smoked weed all over the world, and to be fair this comparrisson only really counts in homegrown weed. Ill explain my opinion and why;

Most weed, wherever you buy it these days is hydro grown, and to be perfectly honest, its a business, and very little is invested in that product apart from to rinse you, the consumer, for as much cash as possible, and in turn to grow the biggest yeieding, quickest growing strain available. By whatever means necessary. If you take two week flush off every hydro grow in a year from clone, you will get 4-5 completed grows, if you flush for two weeks you only get 3-4. Its simple maths, and to the ecommercial grower, who never sees you, or even the end line dealer, who gives a shit? "Ill just take the extra 250k for the 5th grow a year" - to paraphrase....simple dealer scum economy business. They also don't dry it properly as we all know, that also makes for more time....

At home hydro growers will flush properly that changes the ball park immediately.

Soil grown weed is better by far IMO. I am completely organic, no bottled gear what-so-ever, i dont flush either, as I am only fklushing natural flavours and elements from the weed, i like it in there to be fair, and In past comparrissons I can pick hydro from organic all day long, sometimes it the same, sometimes worse, its never any better.

I will just add that as far as I was aware most of the strains grown for the CC are grown organically for the judges testing and sampling, and usually has had a 3-4mth cure also. If it wasn't significantly better, why would the bigger and smaller breeding companies bother?

Superb thread BTW, quality :unsure:

Starbud, have you ever grown your own hydro weed to compare it with your own organic?

I have done two runs in coco with Hesi after doing some in my organic mix of soil using biobizz nutes. It's difficult to make a direct comparison because I have done different strains, but the quality of burn and taste of my coco weed is better than it was in soil.I'd like to have a soil grow and use OT's nutes on them and compare clone with clone. It'll be easy to do so actually I'm gonna do it.

There are so many brands of nutrients out there and if the quality of them varies to any sort of degree, then it's only fair that you must assume that you can't give a really credible opinion unless you have sampled all if not most of them and rated them side by side. I would imagine a lot of chem based nutrients would surpass the quality of some organic ones and vice versa.

It's like the which reports only testing B&Q multi next to the homebase one and rating them next to each other. Impartial reviews by growers of the up to date formulations and comparisons across the board would be good. You're not going to get it on Which.

Starbud, have you ever grown your own hydro weed to compare it with your own organic?

I have done two runs in coco with Hesi after doing some in my organic mix of soil using biobizz nutes. It's difficult to make a direct comparison because I have done different strains, but the quality of burn and taste of my coco weed is better than it was in soil.I'd like to have a soil grow and use OT's nutes on them and compare clone with clone. It'll be easy to do so actually I'm gonna do it.

There are so many brands of nutrients out there and if the quality of them varies to any sort of degree, then it's only fair that you must assume that you can't give a really credible opinion unless you have sampled all if not most of them and rated them side by side. I would imagine a lot of chem based nutrients would surpass the quality of some organic ones and vice versa.

It's like the which reports only testing B&Q multi next to the homebase one and rating them next to each other. Impartial reviews by growers of the up to date formulations and comparisons across the board would be good. You're not going to get it on Which.

I've done side by side, with clones with organic and coco and I can't tell the difference the cured weed tastes the same. I tried a blind test with hydro vs organic cucumber I grew myself and couldn't tell either they were from the same seed batch using oldtimers as the organic nutes and bcuzz as the hydro/coco ones.

I've done side by side, with clones with organic and coco and I can't tell the difference the cured weed tastes the same. I tried a blind test with hydro vs organic cucumber I grew myself and couldn't tell either they were from the same seed batch using oldtimers as the organic nutes and bcuzz as the hydro/coco ones.

Maybe this is my confusion and I'd like to see what oldtimer1 says about this, but what you describe above is not soil grown. You are just using soil as any other inert base to hold your plants in position and then feeding your plants with fertiliser in colloidal form (albeit organic nutes).

AFAIU, "soil grown" means to feed the soil itself not the plant. It means the food for the plant is locked up in the soil structure and the soil herd feed upon that and supply the plants needs. That is the way Nature intended. What you are describing is providing a colloidal form of nutrient that bypasses this natural symbiotic relationship. I would say it's pretty indisputable that this is how you get better yield, like you would get more bulk, more quickly by taking steroids. But, better yield means that Nature has to resolve the imbalance caused by feeding the plant directly and forcing unnatural excessive growth, and by that I mean more than the plant would naturally grow without interference. i.e. more is less.

Basically I would describe "soil grown" as feed the soil not the plant.

Organic dope doesn't taste better if you don't like the taste, it's preference. However yes organically grown dope has enormous potential to taste great! And better than a chemically grown plant because as was stated very early in the thread ( reading between the lines) but overlooked, organically grown plants have a huge diversity of sources of nutrition and workers ( microbes) to utilise thus giving the plant, which let's not forget is in control of things down under, far more at it's disposal than can be given via chemicals so it has the ability to produce fragrance of a greater depth etc. It's immediately obvious upon pulling an organically grown carrot from the ground for eg that it has a far superiour taste even without tasting it as it smells so strongly, then upon tasting it's confirmed.

If you take two week flush off every hydro grow in a year from clone, you will get 4-5 completed grows, if you flush for two weeks you only get 3-4. Its simple maths, and to the ecommercial grower, who never sees you, or even the end line dealer, who gives a shit? "Ill just take the extra 250k for the 5th grow a year"

The only time you get more crops is if you chop early. Flushing has nowt to do with it

You say commy growers are all out to make as much as they can. Well then, surely giving them just water the last 2 weeks or whatever would save them money cos they wouldnt be using as many nutes

Shit tasting bud is not always down to not flushing, but how its been fed throughout the grow

Owd

The last two posts are spot on. You do feed the soil, not the plant, and for the second time today..."Feed the soil, and the plants will look after themselves" I feed my soil, and the micro-herd in turn, vice versa actually, but the same ends never the less.

I have never grown Hydro, so I cannot speak for myself, but my grow buddy grew 3 whole grows in a bubbler, it was good weed for sure, and in abundance, but we both noted that my soil version of the Lemon skunk had more 'depth' - whether that be psychsomatic i couldn't comment, but to quote myself, i can pick hydro weed apart from organic all day long, even in a blind test. And BB did try to trick me too, with a 1.5g bowl, sneaky bugger tried to dress it with drysift too to add further confusion, i was up to the task, after 30mins or so recovery lol.....

Theres nothing wrong with hydro at all, i just don't believe thats the way nature intended for us to grow weed, or any other plants for that matter, they were meant to be grown in healthy soil watered by the rain, and bathed by the sun. What we have the product of now is impatience. faster car, fater computer, in reality what is a few extra minutes here and there?

I also find soil growing a spiritual experience, getting my hands dirty, being at one with what I am growing. Its a state of mind for me as well as a hobby. How can anyone tell me adding chemicals (salts)to water and oxygen could taste better than my weed with at least 20 diff types of veg matter, molasses, milk, seaweed, banana/comfrey/nettles/dandelion/dock bla bla bla in my soil, exactly how nature intended...imo again.

To be fair if its psychosomatic, who gives a fcuk, it makes no difference lol, horses for courses i say.

And I stamp my feed hard, and yell loudly. ORGANIC WEED TASTES BETTER THAN HYDROPONIC....(imo ;))

peace :D

Edited by starbud

If you take two week flush off every hydro grow in a year from clone, you will get 4-5 completed grows, if you flush for two weeks you only get 3-4. Its simple maths, and to the ecommercial grower, who never sees you, or even the end line dealer, who gives a shit? "Ill just take the extra 250k for the 5th grow a year"

The only time you get more crops is if you chop early. Flushing has nowt to do with it

You say commy growers are all out to make as much as they can. Well then, surely giving them just water the last 2 weeks or whatever would save them money cos they wouldnt be using as many nutes

Shit tasting bud is not always down to not flushing, but how its been fed throughout the grow

Owd

I never have shit tasting weed...ever, and I am organic as I already stated. A lot of commy growers wont run two weeks water through them to flush cause they have chopped them already. Im my experience the buds reach an 'apex' almost like a sweetspot, after that point of flowering the plant withdraws on itself getting smaller, and as its dying its also consuming every last molecule of itself it can, and will only continue to get smaller, as a rule of thumb i was lead to beleve flushing only started after this point for most hydro growers, therefor for that point the buds are getting smaller anyways, and also transpiring more moisture (size and weight). A risk your commy grower wont take in my experience. However as always i stand to be corrected from a more knowlegeable soul, of which there are plenty here. My ending point is that to the average soil/organic grower its not about yeild, its about quality and taste above all else.

I cant remember the the last time i even saw properly dried, cured, and flushed commercial weed, it has to be at least 10 years cause that how since i bought it. Tell a lie i smoked a puf at new year from a dealer spliff at a party, all the 'lads' were raving about this 'cheese' :unsure: - i firstly nearly coughed up a lung as soon as it hit my throat, quick dried at the very best, for all its stink it has no taste at all, deffo hydro :wub:, and on top of that it tasted like a combination of tinfoil and ozone, one has to summise unflushed. If thats the standard we are comparing then organix wins hands down, however i did state that before.

I do agree in part that bad tasting weed isnt always down to just the flush, its the salts and chems throughout :notworthy:, i joke but i would say in the main that is a big part of it, that and inadequate curing, patience being the virtue there...

peace :)

Thanks for the replies so far. They have definitely answered my original question (and then some)!

Owd

Agreed I gave a friend some plant food and he grew the same clone I had out and his was foul with the same compost and feed, less is more but regularly, he fed once a week in high doses and then plain water mid week.

I used to think I could tell organic from Hydro.

Then I smoked some Hydro weed that owderb had grown.

I silently shoved my organic under the table, for the fact of the matter was simple, Owderb's hydro pissed all over my Organic. That said, I have improved since then and its time for a rematch :yinyang: When you're ready, mate! :unsure:

There are so many variables, I find it hard to believe folks who come out with definitive statements like "Organic always tastes better". It does NOT. Bad organic growing is just as common as bad hydro growing and both produce evil tasting, poorly combustible, rank tasting kakka!

If I lived in the right place, all my weed would be wild outdoor weed. But I don't so it isn't. Just wish it was. <Sigh> Ah well, <Rolls another one> Hey-di-ho.....

Just so i know - for my next grow I'm growing in Fertile Fibre (adding a few extras just not quite decided what yet) in Autpots and I'm keeping it organic by probably only using Bio Sevia bloom nutes. Is this a hydro or an organic soil grow - i.e what constitutes 'soil' - is it the presence of organic (plant/animal) matter in the medium, the presence of peat or what exactly? Obv i understand that growing in cay pebbles is hydro and growing in Plagron Batmix os soil but there seems to be a halfway house with coir based composts or does coir count as soil?