Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
synack

Yeast Sugar And Water Mix

Anyone here ever used Yeast Sugar and Water mix to create C02 in a clone box or other?

Opinions of those who have some experience / understand the science? Is it worth it?

Was looking at like a 20 Litre Water bottles worth of mix, roughly how long would that produce raised levels of C02 for?

If it's been covered here before a link is always appreciated :spliff:

Cheers.

I tried it years ago. Didn't see much difference. Could be wrong though because anecdotes aren't science. Are they Mrs Bell?

diy co2 is the holy grail for noobs. Loads try it, none stay with it. Waste of time, effort and money.

Yea, don't bother. Spend the time/money on getting your extraction and nutrients right. You'll see a lot more benefit from them at a newbie stage.

e2a: Sorry, don't mean to imply you're a newbie. But unless you're brewing beer and CO2 is a side-effect, it aint worth it.

Edited by Keye

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I brew wine in my grow room. It doesn't do any harm and the wine benfits in terms of perfect fermentation from the temps in there. I've use trim instead of hops in home brewed beer in there as well. That one I can recommend :rofl:

Dr B

Does that work?

You put it right into the fermenter or in the wort boil?

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I brew wine in my grow room. It doesn't do any harm and the wine benfits in terms of perfect fermentation from the temps in there. I've use trim instead of hops in home brewed beer in there as well. That one I can recommend :wink:

Dr B

OOOoooook you got me

any more info on that buddy I need a link sounds tooooooo gooood :rofl:

If you love your plants that much and have the spare time, you could do such an idea, or just spend money on a co2 system, try meet a BOC online

Does that work?

You put it right into the fermenter or in the wort boil?

Depends what you mean by 'work' . If I'm making it from scratch it goes in to boil with the wort. If I'm being lazy and using canned malt syrup then I make tea with half and put that in at the start before topping up the fermenter with water. The other half I wrap in cheese clothe and put into the final pressure barrel (a technique called 'dry hopping') when it gets primed (10 or so days before it's ready to drink).

It's more for flavour than anything else but the beer does end up a bit stoney. You could add it to any brew though. In the past I've just heated it into apple juice from the supermarket and then fermented the juice to cider. I find a touch of honey stops it from tasting too dusty. You cous even use wine kits of whatever.

You should have a play with a few recipes. I'll send some by PM if you want to have a look at where to start?

Peace,

Dr B

I think using yeast nutrient (diammonium phosphate and ammonium sulphate) really speeds up the fermentation process and therefore CO2 production. Using this can make it worthwhile IMO. It's a shame people leave this out and then conclude the process/technique doesn't sufficiently work.

I think using yeast nutrient (diammonium phosphate and ammonium sulphate) really speeds up the fermentation process and therefore CO2 production. Using this can make it worthwhile IMO. It's a shame people leave this out and then conclude the process/technique doesn't sufficiently work.

It's not economically viable in reality, if you extract you get rid of the precious CO2, you would need to use turbo yeast (Google it) which ferment 6kg in a few days which would cost a lot to stand a chance of filling the grow area with CO2 before you had to run the fans because of temps. There would be a danger of over CO2'ing plants with turbo yeast it can become toxic to plants as well as animal life at low percentages this is also a danger with dosing with a timer from CO2 bottle without an accurate sensor system.

Adding CO2 to plants very early in life can have major benefits to the plants throughout their life even if they only get it for a couple of weeks, there's quite a lot about it if you google but it takes a lot of investigation work to find the good stuff, try googling effective use of plant CO2 and such like. I use a gas heater to add CO2 which has the advantage of keeping my grow room at the right temps as well, a simple parrafin heater works as well and produces more reliable and cheaper CO2 but not as clean as either gas or fermentation still clean enough for the babies IMHO they are designed to run in you greenhouse after all.

Edited by Tutu

If the CO2 leaks out of your tent at too great a rate if one is used, does this mean some other sort of grow room absolutely needs to be used instead? Is the carbon monoxide that paraffin sufficient to be harmful to plants?

Edited by Artificial Emotion

If the CO2 leaks out of your tent at too great a rate if one is used, does this mean some other sort of grow room absolutely needs to be used instead? Is the carbon monoxide that paraffin sufficient to be harmful to plants?

I had got a couple of CO detectors in the grow room the paraffin heater ran for 2 weeks without ever setting it off, if there's not enough CO to set off a CO detector I'm sure it's not enough to affect the plants either. I swapped to propane now and that didn't set them off either.

They definitely responded to the extra CO2 with kind, I've also home brewed beer for many many years much longer than I've grown for and noticed none of the improvement that the paraffin heater gave when brewing in the same area. I was going to build my own still so I could make 95% moonshine for making hash oil which is when I stumbled across turbo yeast, I do think turbo yeast would have a significant improvement due to fermenting 6 times more sugar in 1/2 the time but running cost wise paraffin heater would be 1/2 maybe more and hassle of refilling is minimal.

^ Are you using a normal propane heater or one tweaked for CO2 production? I wish Greens would sell CO2 equipment.

Is it worth using a propane CO2 generator ina tent or are they too leaky?

^ Are you using a normal propane heater or one tweaked for CO2 production? I wish Greens would sell CO2 equipment.

Is it worth using a propane CO2 generator ina tent or are they too leaky?

Normal propane there is no difference really, as long as it's a greenhouse heater they're designed to burn clean only CO2+water as emissions just grow shops spieling shit if you ask me.

I checked my CO2 with a borrowed CO2 detector and it seems to run between 1100-1400ppm which I'm more than happy with but I need to buy a proper controller to be sure, I'm going to mod the heater at some point so it can be controlled by a CO2 controller.

Gas growth generators are propane heaters with a 240v solenoid instead of a thermostat and that's it no matter what bullshit they try to tell you.

If you were to spend the dough on one growth tech's is the best as at least it has a thermostat on it as well but TBH I bought a 4.2kw heater plus 47kg of gas (Big bottle 5ft tall) for £75 on ebay, it's £25 for the solenoid, I also need 1 t piece, some pipe and a tap and I have a gas growth generator but I would have to bypass the thermostat to make it work easily.

If you have one without a thermostat and still want the function just wire a normal household one up to a connector block with the CO2 controller on the other side and you still have the best of both worlds.

Edited by Tutu