Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nflame13

Boiling The Kettle...or Any Useful Saving Tips??!!

57 posts in this topic

Fill a litre bottle to the brim with water and put it in your cistern. Prop it away from any of the mechanical workings of the toilet and make sure it sinks. Some say use a brick but you could end up with it disintegrating.

For all you away from home during the week - if you flush that toilet 3 times a day (that's not including other occupants of the house) your saving almost 1100 litres of water.

Fill a litre bottle to the brim with water and put it in your cistern. Prop it away from any of the mechanical workings of the toilet and make sure it sinks. Some say use a brick but you could end up with it disintegrating.

For all you away from home during the week - if you flush that toilet 3 times a day (that's not including other occupants of the house) your saving almost 1100 litres of water.

That only works for metered water I'm not water metered so it would save me nothing.

You u can also get those instant water boilers so it boils as it is drawn off.

Coffee only gets bitter if you use ground coffee for the instant stuff it dont matter.

I only drink hot drinks when a customer offers them.

e2a It seems to take longer to fix things without a brew.

Edited by groovelick

I don't understand why people in this country need central heating at all in this country for 99% of the year. I just don't bother with it, full stop. Maybe my body runs hot or something.

A good way to save energy is to fill empty spaces in your fridge and freezer with bottles filled with water.

Edited by Artificial Emotion

I don't understand why people in this country need central heating at all in this country for 99% of the year. I just don't bother with it, full stop. Maybe my body runs hot or something.

Do you have an open fire?

no he's a polar bear

1 person likes this

No, but I am honestly Canadian.

i used to work with a guy that cut a cm of a whole pack of rizla's before he made his roll-ups to save on his baccy, he also used to buy a litre of blue milk then dilute with half a litre of water to turn it into 1 and a half ltrs of green milk (his words!), oh how i used to mock him..................he's now mortgage, bank loan, credit card debt free and sitting with numerous thousands in the bank...............and i'm skint & got debt up to my eye balls :ouch:

still couldn't live my life like his tho!

he also used to buy a litre of blue milk then dilute with half a litre of water to turn it into 1 and a half ltrs of green milk (his words!),

I've done this during skint times but still gave the kids full strength; is he still a skinflint cos I reckon saving like that is only worthwhile if you have a big blowout to look forward to :-)

When cooking stuff in the oven I usually turn it off 5 mins before the end of the cooking time there's usually enough heat to finish it off. A steamer basket to do veg on top of the pot of potatoes/pasta etc then only one ring is used instead of the two. More recently, as I'm expecting a whopper of a leccy bill :doh: I've been cooking most stuff on the gas hob instead of the electric oven (which i hate), even roast chicken has turned into boiled chicken in the stock pot, it does kill two birds with one stone though as I get loads of chicken stock.

Generations ago the stock pot would be permanately on the stove and on a Sunday potato peelings were added to the bones from the meat to prepare soup for the next day. This I learned from the internet, not at home because since the day most things could be bought ready-made it seems all the hard work was replaced with convenience. It's sad cos the older methods of cooking were more nutritious and would keep us healthier than the shite we eat now.

There's loads of wee ways to save but my favourite one is to just try and not throw anything out, google it and see what you can do with it!

The average household kettle cost £16.70 per annum to run

Edited by djembryo

not ours ..its gonna cost us at least £70 ..ten +cups a day in this household ..

With the current fashion for gigantic TVs, I think that more people should be aware of how much 35"+ plasmas actually consume - they can be in the order of 400W+. When you think of how long a lot of people leave their TVs on for every day, this must be an enormous amount of electricity. :spliff:

:yinyang:

I think Plasma use less than LCD because of the black I understand (I think Plasma draw no power for black pixels or something).

E2A - I just read the opposite is true on every website I could find.

Hhhmmm Do I believe the 17 year old from Richer Sounds who looked like a sex case or do I believe all these websites?

I am off for a smoke to ponder the world :spliff:

Edited by MartininLondon

If there is only a couple of people in the house, buying a water butt and having a water meter installed is a great money saver. My yearly bill has been reduced by half , which pleases me immensley as I object to paying for the tap water I get through my taps :P .

In this country a full size water butt is constantly full, this supplies both my grow room and my dog. Something has to be said for rain water as the dog wont drink tap water now :wink:

lol

Edited by powerband

I live on my own and have economy 7. The landlord has put one of those mini water tanks above the sink.

Rather than use that, instead I half boil the kettle whenever I need to wash up.

I imagine this must save a fair amount of money, as even though the tank is insulated, it fills with cold water each time it's used and has to reheat the water. Plus I'm unable to actually use all the water. I try and time my washing up so that I do it after 11 or 12 depending on the time of year when the economy 7 kicks in.

I'm on Economy 7, my cheap rates are 10.30pm-12.30am and 2.30am-7.30am.

It's handy to know these times, you will hear a click from the meter when it changes.

My washing m/c has a delay button, I set it to come on at 5.30am, my clothes are ready to put away at 7.30, when I get up.

I'm doing my bit to save the world, fuck the neighbours lol

after boiling a kettle , put about another litre in , leave it whilst the tea brews or 5 mins or so , the water will have taken the residual heat from the kettle and be toasty warm for any houseplants that are thirsty.

I know a few of these have had a mention already, but my biggest money-savers so far have been...

Turning the thermostats down a couple of degrees!

Ripping out the gas fire in the living room and opening up the old fireplace. Saves a fortune on heating bills, since now I go raiding skips and knocking on people's doors when I see them getting rid of any wood, old sheds etc.. Everyone so far has been more than happy to have it out the way! Also good after Christmas, them trees burns well :B): When there's a good fire going, can stick tins of soup in there and toast things with a toasting fork.

Replacing the electric kettle with an old style whistling kettle on the gas ring. That works a treat, since it's safe to fill a mug with water, tip that into the kettle, boil it and pour it back out - wouldn't even cover the element in most electric kettles I've had...

Downgrading (!!!) the electric shower from a 9kW to a 7.5kW - that actually saves nearly a unit a day some days, nobody that's used it has even noticed it's less powerful than the old one.

Building solar heaters out of old tins and old double-glazing panels, using fans out of dead computer power supplies for circulation and ducting the warm air into the house using leftover ducting from my CF - works a treat actually. Think I read about that here ages ago.

New freezer (because the seals were knackered and it kept icing up) and new fridge (because most of the refrigerant had leaked out so it was running all the time trying to keep cool). Always worth keeping an eye on appliances like that...

I've had a few vacuum cleaners out of skips, too, most just needed a damn good clean and worked fine for a few years at least. Same goes for microwaves...

I think the only backwards step was replacing the old washing machine with a new "energy efficient" one. The old one was better IMHO because it used hot and cold water, but the new one just uses cold so it takes a lot more electricity in heating it up.