Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nflame13

Boiling The Kettle...or Any Useful Saving Tips??!!

57 posts in this topic

I think that indoor growers are more likely to be knowledgeable than most people about how much electricity costs and which appliances use most &c., but I reckon that even so most people aren't aware that electric power showers use around 9,500-11,000W which is a *huge* amount of electricity.

If you're like me and like to have long(ish) showers, cutting them short by a few minutes will save an appreciable amount of power. lol

:rofl:

Ok well cheers Kondor, yeah i am very strict with the central heating we have a virtually brand new central heating system and it has a built in timer so we control when it comes on and off and not the thermostat. We use it 1 hour in the morning then 2 hours at night. It really helps keep the costs down, we gave up our 2 tv's and free view boxes and all our lights are now energy saving bulbs, we are all students and we have spent our first whole year away from home and we are still learning the best ways to be green and keep costs down. I think its kinda fun coming up with ways to live cheaper and greener lives! Very sad i know!

Nflame13

I think that indoor growers are more likely to be knowledgeable than most people about how much electricity costs and which appliances use most &c., but I reckon that even so most people aren't aware that electric power showers use around 9,500-11,000W which is a *huge* amount of electricity.

If you're like me and like to have long(ish) showers, cutting them short by a few minutes will save an appreciable amount of power. ;)

:ouch:

Really?? So say a 10kw shower, running on 240v, would be pulling nearly 42amps?????

That seems like a ridiculously huge amount of power, for a domestic shower??

Gonna take colder showers for sure!

Nflame13

Edit: Just realised we dont even have a power shower lol!

Edited by nflame13

Well, when I say 'power shower' I just mean regular electric showers like you see in most people's houses who have them. lol

The power consumption makes sense when you think of how long immersion heaters take to heat tankfuls of water up and the shower is doing that in real-time, producing a stream of hot water. ;)

:ouch:

i was going to suggest not doing any ironing

then i saw this bit :ouch:

we are all students and we have spent our first whole year away from home and we are still learning the best ways to be green and keep costs down. I think its kinda fun coming up with ways to live cheaper and greener lives! Very sad i know!

Nflame13

seriously though i see it as a complete waste of time and more importantly energy, especially the backs of shirts.

i don't know if it's just me , but i always found that clothing was creased within a couple of hours of putting it on anybloodyway ,so why the hell are most folk obsessed with having every crease flattened out by a power hungry iron. lol

and ( imho) if someone is going to judge me for not having perfectly ironed shirt and trousers then they aint worth bothering with. i'm the same bloke with or without creases ;)

For the central heating bit ,doesn't it take more gas to heat a house from cold than to keep it a constant temp?

1 person likes this

hang ya tea bags on the washing line they are reusable :ninja: :ninja: then maybe compost em for ya plants :wink: :rofl:

I live on my own and have economy 7. The landlord has put one of those mini water tanks above the sink.

Rather than use that, instead I half boil the kettle whenever I need to wash up.

I imagine this must save a fair amount of money, as even though the tank is insulated, it fills with cold water each time it's used and has to reheat the water. Plus I'm unable to actually use all the water. I try and time my washing up so that I do it after 11 or 12 depending on the time of year when the economy 7 kicks in.

you couls warm some water up on top of ya ballast

why not use the gas stove to boil the kettle,that way you use zero electricaty

Changing the settings on ya tv and pc display so the picture is softer and dimmer will save you a few pennies.

Keeping frost from building up in ya freezer will save u a few quid too. :yep:

get yourself an oil drum and some drift wood and do it hobo style lol

You can get '1-cup' kettles now that just boil 1 cup's worth of water safely. :B):

It's a good idea, but tea needs water that's absolutely at boiling to bring out the flavour properly, IME tea made with water that's even slightly cooler doesn't tast quite right. :B):

:smug:

Yeah tea really needs boiling water poured on it, anything less doesn't work. For instance, my kettle has broken at the moment and I'm too tight to buy a new one, so I have been making tea in the microwave - it NEVER tastes as good, no matter how long I leave it in the microwave, nothing can compare to boiling water hitting the dry teabag.

Changing the settings on ya tv and pc display so the picture is softer and dimmer will save you a few pennies.

Now *that* really is false economy to the point of insanity - potentially compromising the enjoyment of watching TV, viewing it with the picture not to your taste to maybe save a couple of pennies every couple of decades. :B):

Mind you, most people have *no* idea how to set up video and audio gear properly - I'm forever adjusting TVs in peoples' houses - amongst other things, they invariably have too much colour so that people look like beetroots and the contrast and brightness are all to cock. It's the same with people's PCs and the older CRT monitors - the amount of people I've sorted out who must have been using their VDUs set at 60Hz (the low, default refresh rate which most people can see flickering and is headache inducing) for years before I came along is staggering. :B):

With the current fashion for gigantic TVs, I think that more people should be aware of how much 35"+ plasmas actually consume - they can be in the order of 400W+. When you think of how long a lot of people leave their TVs on for every day, this must be an enormous amount of electricity. :B):

:smug:

Edited by Scribb|e

Just use a gas cooker to boil your old skool whistling kettle from tkmax for like for 2 quid, tastes better i think too.... :smug::B):

I'm pretty aware of how much power things use, but when I saw a power meter for a quid in a charity shop I couldn't help myself. Now I've got it though I might end up using more power...

I've found out that my small TV on standby uses 6w and my large TV just 1w, I've always made a point of turning them off at the switch but I'm wondering if it'd be more economical to just use the remote, instead of burning calories walking all the way across the room, never mind all that bending down.