Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nflame13

Boiling The Kettle...or Any Useful Saving Tips??!!

57 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

:spliff:

My partner had a fantastic idea yesterday, I like to drink 4 or more cups of tea or coffee through out the day and boiling the kettle that much really wastes the electricity as its only ever hot water for my one cup at a time, as she doesn't drink hot drinks. So anyway she said to cut down on the bills why not boil one full kettle first thing in the morning and stick the rest of the water in our large thermos and use it as and when for the rest of day. Worked a treat yesterday had all the hot drinks i could manage and on only one use of the kettle!

Now i have written it out it isn't exactly rocket science and reading it back makes me sound simple :yep: , lol! But oh well i suppose over the course of a year that could make a big difference to the electric bill, a bit like turning the tv off standby!

And for any growers who are concerned that the electricity companies are monitoring their usage it could help keep the usage down so as not to arouse any suspicion!

Please post any other energy/money saving tips below!

Nflame13

You can get '1-cup' kettles now that just boil 1 cup's worth of water safely. :v:

It's a good idea, but tea needs water that's absolutely at boiling to bring out the flavour properly, IME tea made with water that's even slightly cooler doesn't tast quite right. :)

:thumsup:

2 people like this

Coffee also needs hotter water than one of those 1-cup jobs can give.

May try the Thermos thing, but I'd be surprised if it kept the water hot enough to make real coffee?

Hi Guys

The thermos does the trick as coffee shouldn't be made with boiling water as you will have a burnt bitter taste it should be made with water just off the boil but never boiling approx 90c is the perfet temp, whereas tea should be made with boiling water but if it saves me money in the long run i will drink it made with slightly cooler water! :D

I have seen the special 1 cup kettles but i cant afford a new one the one i have was a morrisons basics kettle about £5 i think :D!

Cheers for the input though!

Nflame13

tea should be made with boiling water but if it saves me money in the long run i will drink it made with slightly cooler water! lol

Just make a flask full of tea to start with, it'll keep in the flask.

& if it gets cold, stick it in the microwave :)

seriously tho, i normally just fill the kettle for 1 cup or 2, never more than whats needed.

ive wondered about filling a thermos myself as theirs a guy at my work who fills a big flask

every day when he's going home, he gets the piss ripped out of him big time as he's onto a

good wage too, tight arse :D

1 person likes this

theirs a guy at my work who fills a big flask

every day when he's going home, he gets the piss ripped out of him big time as he's onto a

good wage too, tight arse :)

That's not tight, that's sensible man. Fuck giving star bucks money for some things I have at home!

Actually fuck giving starbucks money for anything.

I just fill it with a cups worth at a time, it uses exactly the same power to boil four single cups as it does for 4 cups at once. If you wanted to get really anal about it you should fill the kettle however much and leave it for several hours so it's only heating the water from room temperature, but this takes an (admittedly tiny) amount of heat from your house, so if you have the heating on you'll pay for it anyway. Can't afford heating myself lol:yep::D

tea out of a flask tastes different, maybe the guy at work prefers that taste.

If I only want to make one cup of tea I only boil enough water for one cup , am I missing something here ?

I put a power meter on my kettle. To boil enough water for 2 cups of tea in one go costs me £0.008.

Instead of using a thermos flask, why not pick up the pennies you see in the street, those will pay for heating your brew.

1 person likes this

:yes: Well yeah i could pick up the pennies but i was just trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone by using my thermos, save money/cut my carbon footprint.

I know its not the best green tip and probably doesn't seem worth while, but it works for me done it everyday now since Sunday and it works a treat plus i have instant hot water to use for tea, coffee, boiling pasta/rice dont have to wait for the kettle to boil and i use approx 1.75 litres of boiling water a day. Probably not a tip for everyone but hey different strokes! :band:

Thanks for the comments Guys!

Nflame13

Dont know your circumstances but i save i bit by turning the immersion heater off now and again, the water is suufficiently warm for most uses .

Yea I think this falls into the realms of false economy also or maybe to put it another way "its like peeing in the sea", a bit like turning off an 11w energy saving light bulb to save an hours worth of electricity everyday, over a year you might save yourself 50p. Big deal!

I tell you what I think the biggest waste of energy is caused by people who have not learned how to use their central heating properly. For instance on mine I make it come on for two very short periods every day. It has a button on it that I can press to give myself an extra hour of heating at anytime. Press it three times and it gives me three hours worth of heating.

The advantage comes from when I am not in, or it is not quite cold enough for me to notice that it isn't on. Add to that the times when I decide to go to bed early or stay in bed later and you can see that the hours of saved heating soon start to tally up. And an hours worth of heating really does save money, a lot more than a minutes worth of boiling water per day.

Having a routine when you are leaving the house, of turning the thermostat on the heating right down, turning off all un-used plugs and light switches can save a few bob fairly quickly too. It also reduces the risk of fire too.

Seriously, your not saving enough money (if any!) with your flask idea, and in fact, writing your post on the subject of using it has probably used more electricity than you will save over a lifetime of flasking.

Not having any central heating saves money , I wouldn't advise it though