Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jammin

Ec Rising

18 posts in this topic

Alright everyone?

Im trying to figure out why my ec has risen from 1.9 at mixing to a massive 2.6 3 days later. :angry:

Isnt the ec supposed to fall if the plants are taking the nutes?

I havnt added anything this time. No additives at all.

The plants dont seem to be that fussed although there is some yellowing on the top leaves but im sure this is down to burn. My plants are close to the light. And i mean CLOSE! :sweaty:

Any help greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Jammin :yinyang:

I think that the plants use up water far more quickly than nutrients, so the relative concentration of nutes increases. Ur plants must of been real thirsty mate!

It means your plant is takining more water than nutes, or in other words your ec is too high to begin with.

but I'm no hydro expert as I grow in soil, but I'm sure that's right.

1 person likes this

I see. Can i just add a bundle of water to even it out to 2.0 again then?

Sounds right to me. Thanks guys.

Easy jammin,

It means your EC was too high to begin with mate.

Your EC should ideally reamain the same as your water level falls.

If you have the right EC to start with, it should stay that way until the tank is almost empty.

If the EC falls, you mixed your nutes too weak to begin with.

I don't use NFT as you know mate, but personaly i'd empty the tank and and mix up a fresh batch of food with an EC around 1.6, then keep an eye on it for a few days.

Although your EC has risen, your plant will have still taken lots of nutrients/micro nutrients from the mix, if you just add water and dillute the mix these will still be missing, and you could innevitably starve the plant of what it really needs!

Take it Easy,

VRG

ps Shouldn't you be checking your EC everyday in NFT? :yinyang:

1 person likes this

Sshhh! I just, err forgot :yinyang:

Hi Jammin;

Ok, am I right in thinking that your EC is high even though you have added no additives?

Fact is in between mixing new nutes you really should run the system with a tank of Ph adjusted water for 24 hours. This will "purge" any build up of salts that may be occuring when the system is running normally.

Its a real possibility that residual build up is whats causing your EC to rocket like this, (and I think that reverse osmosis, from rockwool to to nute solution, could be a likely cause for the EC rising).

Hope this sorts things out for you.

Peace.

RD

Hi

VRG and reef sound about right on this one.. your nuits are too strong.

Your plants will only take up what they need , which varies throughout the different stages of its growth. Any excess to the plants requirements will be left and over time will build up raising your EC.

The more you leave it the more it will raise until you reach the stage where your plants will lock-out.

Every plant will have its limits as to how high you can go, it varies from strain to strain and even individual plants from the same strain.

When you have it at the desired level id moniter it daily and see how it goes. If it continues to raise you know not too mix it as strong next time.

I never exceed an EC of 2 (in the height of flowering), i always stay in the safe zone. In other words i never try and push to see how much the plant can take, unless its over multiple growouts of the same strain.

You will be ok just to dilute the mix down with ph adjusted water.

Im always doing this and have never had any bother.

It wont be salt build-up, it would have to get pretty bad to alter your EC that drastically and you'd notice it in the plants.

Hydronaut

1 person likes this

Safe mate. Very precise!

I emptied the tank earlier and refilled to 1.8.

Ill keep an eye on it and see whats kickin :yep:

Nice one :yep:

Edited by Jammin

I never exceed an EC of 2 (in the height of flowering), i always stay in the safe zone.

I thought 1.8 was too high ;) . So much to learn in so little time!

When I mix my canna nutes to the manufacturers MAXIMUM recommends, (20 ml of both A & B per 10 litres), my EC reading comes in at under 1.4. Would I be safe to assume that I can disregard the manufacturers recommends and add more aqua flores until it reaches 1.8?

Cheers hydro :wassnnme:

Sorry for thread-jacking!

Peace.

RD

The recommendation on the bottle is never quite full strength when you start mixing up, 2 is generally accepted as the upper limit and most people tend to keep theirs around 1.8. It will also depend on strain, how hungry your ladies get. Hence the imprtance of having an ec meter of somekind and not just doing what it says on the tin when your growing hydro.

Cheers Pip;

One "big-assed" portion of canna nutes coming up. :wassnnme:

Peace.

RD

That seems pretty unusual RD. I have been using Canna aqua nutes for years, and I always find the manufacturers recommended dosage to be far too high - making it up as is on the bottle usually gives me an ec reading of around 2.2 by the time I have added the other bits, so I always make it up slightly weaker than they recommend. If you have a cf pen, instead of a truncheon, I would make sure it was calibrated properly, and give the nutrients a good stir before tking the reading to make sure its accurate. Also, depending on the nutrient temperature, the cf could go up or down (liquid can hold more dissolved solids in it if it is warmer, but holds less o2)

my current crop is literally sucking the nutrients out of the solution, to the extend where the cf is actually dropping. I made my last lot (last feed before flushing) up to 2.2 and it was down to 2.09 within about 2 days, even without adding ph balanced water to the mix.

Some strains are just greedier than others, and it takes a couple of crops for you to learn how they are going to react :wassnnme:

1 person likes this

i thought the maximum for canna aqua was 25ml of each per 10 litres of water.but i might be wrong.

On 28/01/2004 at 5:10 AM, Guest Red Dragon said:

I thought 1.8 was too high ;) . So much to learn in so little time!

When I mix my canna nutes to the manufacturers MAXIMUM recommends, (20 ml of both A & B per 10 litres), my EC reading comes in at under 1.4. Would I be safe to assume that I can disregard the manufacturers recommends and add more aqua flores until it reaches 1.8?

Cheers hydro :wassnnme:

Sorry for thread-jacking!

Peace.

RD