Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

DaftSkunk

Learning The Guitar

117 posts in this topic
2 minutes ago, ratdog said:

Although I haven`t played much in a while, when I started singing as well it really helped with my playing, just felt natural.

That is my story too. It's when I started to learn how to perform.

Musicianship is a lifelong commitment.

2 people like this

I`ve tried a couple of times this week to play again and since giving up a certain aspect of my work my shoulder isn`t stopping me play, certainly just sweeping playing chords, used to be so painful but it seems quite manageable atm, just tried belting out Creep on the acoustic, I need to sort out my voice lol although Thom York`s voice is deceptively high.

I also have a piece I`ve been working on for years that keeps rearing it`s head when ever I pick up a guitar, I love the melody and have the basic structure but need some words, I`ve only ever written one song in my life and that was a long time ago about a dear friend who died, but it wasn`t sad.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, woody2shoes said:

Learning to play the Guitar 101

You will sound shit at first

Learn to tune your Guitar

Accept that your fingers will hurt for a long time

Learn to tune your Guitar again

Then learn to tune it again.

Electronic tuners don't know what Guitar you own.

Google Intonation and then tune your Guitar again

Use suncreen

Don't subject your neighbours to an amplified Guitar until you are competent

Tune your Guitar

Change your strings, bring them up to pitch then tune them again

Tune your Guitar

Don't buy a Guitar on name, go with one that feels right to you

get another one, do the same to it

if you buy a third, congratulations.

And then tune your Guitar.

I'd like to add to this list, yes, the metronome is really right, it's not broken.

2 people like this

5 hours ago, woody2shoes said:

That was a massive barrier for me. I've smashed through it and so can you.

Thanks, I'll get there eventually I guess, it's much harder than it looks. lol 

Are you going to treat us to some photos of your guitar(s)? 

:guitar:  

1 person likes this

Has anyone come across hybrid picking before? 

Using your thumb and index finger to hold a pick but also use your middle and ring finger to pick lower strings. 

It sounds fantastic, particularly with chords, but feels really unnatural at the moment because of other habits.

Practise practise practise.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Yes @Cursed , seen it used but not really tried it myself, I can use a pick and  fingerpick somewhat but, like you say, it feels very unnatural. :guitar:  I'm more a palm mute, strum, click,  scratch kinda player. lol 

I can play quite clean chords and arpeggios but prefer to try and make the acoustic growl. lol What's your style? :ninja:   

Edited by Saddam
2 people like this

Love playing the guitar...im not great but i know a few songs i taught my self from you tube and from what i remember as a kid and to be fair just having a jam every day for 20 mins or so...

I have a shit acoustic about 40 quids worth but i like the sound it gives lol 

Farmer

3 people like this

13 hours ago, Saddam said:

Yes @Cursed , seen it used but not really tried it myself, I can use a pick and  fingerpick somewhat but, like you say, it feels very unnatural. :guitar:  I'm more a palm mute, strum, click,  scratch kinda player. lol 

I can play quite clean chords and arpeggios but prefer to try and make the acoustic growl. lol What's your style? :ninja:   

I grew up listening to, and playing, punk and metal, so for a long time it's been about heavy, fast strumming with lots of fast up down finger picking. But the first band I played in was a slightly heavier Blondie, so ive always had subtlety.

Recently I've been trying lots of different techniques. Lots of minimalism recently, so really paying attention to string attack, timbre, resonance. I like the idea of music becoming our time perception (the way our time perception works is we latch onto something that gives us perception of the passage of time and music can subvert/hijack this and become time) and have become very interested in the spectral school of music and how sound evolves over time. I won't bore you all but it's dry interesting and worth delving into. 

Spectral music

The Alvin lucier piece is written for two guitars, one panned left and one panned right. Get really high and listen to it on head phones, it fucks with your senses totally lol

I guess I'm trying to say in a long winded way, I don't really have a style, I can fit my playing to what is necessary.

I do like the thought of making an acoustic growl though :yep:

2 people like this

Punk? lol I used to work for a member of Anti-Pasti, fun times.  :headbang:  

:guitar:    

1 person likes this

To give you an idea of what I aspire to in that style, I would love to play like Brian izzi, it's actually way harder an more technical than it sounds because of the speed.

Or this, not for the faint hearted lol

1 person likes this

Each to their own but that's definitely not for me. :ouch:  

2 people like this

1 person likes this