Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

DaftSkunk

Learning The Guitar

117 posts in this topic

Or any Tom Petty.....which are 3 chord boogies the whole way.....which reminds me to post "Last Dance With Mary Jane" in the best ganja tunes thread :)

Learn the basic chords....learn a pentatonic scale for soloing and you're off.....

Best way is to put on your fave tunes and widdle along. I used Floyd's WYWH....perfect smoke and a noodle tune.....

Most of all...relax and enjoy....try to join the music you're listening to rather than dominate it. If you've any mates who play any instruments jam with them and you'll learn even faster.

Also, if you can face it, record yourself - either audio or video. Helps to get an idea of what you sound like and how you can change it.

GN

So keyboard tunes will work on a guitar?

C,D,E,C,F,A,G,E

C,D,E,G,E,F,E,D,C

Bob Marley

try this

Aflat, Dflat, E

x4

A, Dflat, E

x2

A, D, Gflat

x2

Aflat, C, Gflat - Aflat, Dflat, E - Aflat, Dflat, Eflat - Gflat, C, Eflat

Repeat.

First part of a good tune. Does it work on guitar?

Edited by Blayz'd

like the sound of 3 chord boogies, yeah like abit of pink floyd like, will av to dig out a album.

i hope i will enjoy it, be no good if it stresses me, its just remembering things that im worried about, memorys not all that :)

an ill eventually get round to recording it if i can get the hang of it.

so thats the chords on a keyboard, should think it would be same wunt it for guitar?

e2a: what bob marley track is it?

Edited by DanKu

Old pirates.... woont you help to sing, this song of freedom. Redemption song. :) Had to sing half of that to get the name. Top tune.

That's the start of that tune. I think he plays it on guitar so it should sound sweet. I came across it when I was playing,, just accident, hit some keys and recognised the tune, I only know the two lines of notes I put up there. Bob is the first 2 lines of that post. The rest is another tune. Never heard it on guitar though. Wondering if someone can try it and see if it works.

Edited by Blayz'd

Hey Dan good on you learning the geetar its a great hobby :)

A few tips for you. Learning an instrument is one thing, but learning how to play music is something else. What I mean by that is, unless you know how to play another instrument, you will be training your ear to recognise the notes as much as training your hands to do the motions of playing music. This is important.

Bearing that in mind, I would suggest that you don't rely on a tuner to get the guitar in tune - always try and tune it by ear first, then compare it to a tuner. You will get it wrong loads, in fact it will take a very long time before you get it perfect - but this process will improve your playing and learning greatly.

Timing is crucially important in music. If you practice playing in free time you will develop bad habits, so always play along to a metronome or even b etter play along to the track you are practising. Never before has it been so easy to learn your favourite songs - all you have to do is google "songname tab" and get the song up on youtube and play along lol

I had (and still have) major problems remembering songs I want to learn. I would hear something when out and about and think I must remember top learn it, and then when i get some guitar time I totally forget all these songs. So if you think of something you need to learn, write it down or save it in your phone!!

There are loads of songs that are easy to get started with, as mentioned Pink Floyd WYWH is one of the first songs I learned, it is straight forward and sounds great, and it has a nice intro riff, chords to learn and a simple solo to get you started. It is good to try out different ways of playing so mix it up to see what suits you best - strumming and rythm, riffs and runs, solos, fingerpicking, fingertapping, whatever.

Most importantly of course, take your shirt off and Have Fun lol

2 people like this

cool, i really wish i could just play a tune now :) gonna take some doing, seems an easy enough tune to try by lookin at it, even tho i dont have much of a clue at this point.

love the way u picked it up, by just playing an recognising it. lol

dan

love the way u picked it up, by just playing an recognising it. :)

Yeah, I tend to just mess around for fun. By playing I'm learning. Check youtube. Riff tutorial. Other guitar tutorials. You should be able to pick up some simple stuff within an hour. Once you have learned some simple stuff, you can play with what you know. That's how I did it. Once I started to learn different things through tutorials, it taught me what notes work together and how the instrument functions. :)

Playing instruments is satisfying. Especially when you invent something new. Well, I'm guessing everything I've invented so far has already been done, but it doesn't matter really. I'm happy :yep: Music tends to sound different when you play it too. I've been getting this weird thing where I can here the note before I play it. Only a split second. I'm sure I hear the sounds before I play them though. Like I'm ahead of myself or something. Real strange. Not quite sure what it is. Everyone should learn to play an instrument. Guitar is a good choice too I think. The amount of sounds you can get out of that and the variety is amazing. Good choice of instrument.

Good luck.

Edited by Blayz'd

Realised just before I had my accident and couldn't play anymore that part of the reason it is difficult to 'find' chords and licks from albums is that not many bands are tuned in. Tracy Chapman is tuned in, Floyd are tuned in, not many bands are actually tuned to what the string or note should be. One member tunes his guitar and then the rest tune to that, so they are tuned to each other but not to what a tuning pipe will tune your guitar to, thats one reason it is difficult to pick out tunes by ear.

hey BG,

cheers, i could play/mix decks but cant quite count that as a instrument, so im starting from scratch with no knowledge.

ill have a look on you tube on how to tune it an practice at that too then.

ive already tried to pick it up an play, just random sounds at the mo cos dont know wat im doing :) will stop that.

yeah i always hear tunes n wish i could play the guitar to em, but thinkin back i cant remember wat the were either, im always puttin reminders in my phone so will make a habit of that.

gonna have a good look about an find a good easy tune n when im ready just practice that till i feel im gettin their.

thanks for the advice.

just bin readin abit of ya diary, top job bud, got a good bit, will have a good read when get chance :yep:

dan

cheers blayz'd, think you either got rhythm or u avnt init, hopefully will pick it up, my mate got fed up easy thats why i got his guitar.

ah see wat ya sayin hir, so on alot you'll get close to the tune till u really know wat ya doing. cheers

right batterys diein on laptop, be back in tmora, cheers for all the replys, much appreciated

dan

I think Bongme’s signature regarding the 3 P’s regarding growing, ”It takes 3 P’s to make a good gardener, Patience, Practise & Perseverance”, is as applicable to learning the guitar, (or any musical instrument), as it is to gardening.

If you want some inspiration check out Chantel McGregor –

Be patient, practice and persevere and one day you may be able to play as well as Chantel, (It’s a pity I ain’t got it in me :rofl:).

Good luck with your efforts, learn well and it is something that you will treasure for life :yahoo:

Spliffter

e2 try and get youtube link working, Chantel McGregor is worth watching, a prodigy....................

Edited by Spliffter
1 person likes this

fuck it....

FREEBIRD!

Edited by Randalizer

bumgravy is right about the tuner, get one with a metronome. tune your low E to the tuner then try to get the next note by ear. you will get it wrong but practice makes perfect and all that. forget all the open chord tunings and stuff for a while as you want to learn where all the notes are on the fretboard andhow they relate to one another................ Saying that some of the best players in the world couldn't tell you what notes and intervals are in a minor scale or which chord they are playing. to them they just work it out by trial and error.

no need to buy any books this is what the internet is for. check out ultimate guitar they have shed loads of stuff on there and if you move your curswor over a chord it will come up with a neat little diagram showing you the fingering.

do yourself a favour............ Get som new strings make sure they are light gauge say 9's. no need to have painful fingers whilst you try to learn the basics, they will make it easier to play, but wont sound as good as heavy strings. when you have the finger strength, then move up the gauges.

if still tempted to mess with the open tunings may i suggest DADGAD, one finger is all you need to start playing some moody western sounding stuff.

Most important though, is practice as much as you can, and if you are in pain, or getting board then put it down and come back to it. its supposed to be enjoyable

youtube is your freind, the amount of lessons on there are unreal. learn some basic music theory if you can or are inclined it will make it easier on yourself in the long run.

guitar is one of the easiest instruments to learn but hardest to master, check out some of the guys on youtube for inspiration, people to watch are: Andy mckee, don ross, raul midon, lots of really good talent on candyrat look it up on youtube. the thing that made me want to learn guitar was seeing someone really good at guitar, by really good i mean people like the above, also check out the lessons on youtube that joe satirani gives, little bit advanced but it will get your hands really strong in no time.

be aware, guitar playing hurts at first until you form the callus' on your fret hand, dont fret as hard, just fret in the right position( almost on the fret just behind.

now go forth and multiply.......... catch you on youtube soon :ninja:

I love playing my guitar. lots of great video tutorials on YouTube. When i started some 25 years ago :guitar: the first thing i practised was G to C to D. Good luck with it.

Spliffter, that is inspiration indeed :D , make it look so easy, after 4 mins in was just mental, never heard of her cheers. ive just leaned the skill of patience through growin :( , got a plant which is still going 15 weeks flower, gettin impatient now tho. yeah would love to be able to pick a guitar an play one day.

:rofl: not heard freebird either lol , out of touch with the guitar people a think :( before my time i reckon.

thanks for advice slimjim, my mate has put new strings on but not sure wat the are, will sort some out cheers. yeah just gonna learn the simple basics first. an someone told me bout ultimate guitar but forgot so cheers, will check out the peeps ya said on youtube, nice one.

@bushtuka, hopefully i will at some point too :B): if i keep at it im sure ill pick it up.

thanks

dan

e2a: on that ulitmate guitar it doesnt come up with fingering when i move over a chord. could be cos m not signed up like

Edited by DanKu