Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

DaftSkunk

Learning The Guitar

123 posts in this topic

Hey,

i done a thread ages ago bout which guitar to buy, was gonna get a les paul but got a grow tent instead, the better investment i reckon :guitar: . but anyway my mate give me his fender squire for abit. so now at the point of learning it, gonna take a while cos dont even know wat string is what chord/key. :(

wanna give it ago so has anyone got any good advice or anywhere wat can tell me whats what, the chords would be a good start lol

appreciate any advice

dan

1 person likes this

Easiest thing to do is buy a chord songbook (not a tab book) by a band you like and go from there. It'll show you how to form chords and some even come with a cd. The most important thing though is to keep at it. It will be frustrating, but give it three months and you'll be able to play a song you know, you'll be so satified you'll carry on playing for life.

Or you could do what my mate steve did, "just put your fingers where it sounds good!"

Les pauls kick strats everytime btw.. Best of luck and stick with it

Hi Danku good luck with learning the guitar

you wont regret it.

If you google Guitar chords you will find the finger position of chords

start by practicing A D & C you can switch between these chords and just practice and practice some more

and add more chords as you start to learn

It also helps and sounds better if the guitar is in tune

Get strummin.......mb

ah ok will do that cheers, like ya advice :D , think when i play a tune ill be addicted, got abit too into it when tuning it, then tried to play n played some random sounds which dint quite sound right :spliff: just wanted to play summet right then. dint quite get the puttin finger where it sounds good :B): wish it did

dan

e2a: yeah i did a google n ended up reading about some quick n easy 1 2 3 way to learn, think it was a load of bullshit to be honest, after reading a big arse paragraph it went into going on a course :yinyang: .

think i managed to tune it with a quick tune thing, will try an do it by ear when i know abit more.

n dont know much of greenday like, heard the newer stuff on radio n that

Edited by DanKu

I think the best way to start is with some easy tabs from something like the older greenday stuff.

pick something you know(thats simple) then look up the chords

Edited by weed_G

was gonna get a les paul but got a grow tent instead

Love the dedication mate

:rofl:

2 people like this

If you want to be able to play a tune instantly, re-tune it to open E tuning (Thickest E - B - E - G# - B - E).

Then you can use a single finger to hold all the strings down on any fret, and it will be a chord.

For basic blues or rock and roll, strum open (E) then the 5th fret (A), back to open (E) then up to 7th fret (B), down to 5th, down to open then finish on 7th....and repeat. That is 90% of rock and roll right there (look up 8, 10 and 12 bar songs).

You can also use a bottleneck on the highest string to pick out tunes.

e2a. sorry, my advice is for playing, not learning.

Edited by Laramie
1 person likes this

yeah early greenday songs are great fun to play, easy to learn and really get you good at rhythm playing - if you want to get your guitar in tune go to the free online guitar tuner at

http://www.gieson.com/Library/projects/utilities/tuner/

standard tuning for most music is E A D G B E from thickest to thinnest.

just get it tuned, and start learning some easy songs and chords - with a bit of work you'll be able to play most pop/rock songs in a year or so. let us know how you get on :(

peace 1up :rofl:

Edited by 1up

tell us some songs u like ..and il try and find some easy chords for you to start with

Get yourself some cheap pitch pipes so you can keep it in tune, pick out some songs you like and look up the chords, if you see simple chords like G, C, D, Em, E, A then kick off with them, that how I got the hang of it 20 years ago with a crappy little Les Paul copy, I vowed when I saw Slash on stage for the first time that I would have a Les Paul like his, and I got a Slash VOS one last year :( Enjoy it mate its a great instrument to learn. Just don't play Stairway :rofl:

Edited by MartininLondon
1 person likes this

stairway denied :rofl:

post-30928-1254345795_thumb.jpg

Edited by GarageFlower

was gonna get a les paul but got a grow tent instead

Love the dedication mate

:(

a know :rofl: , wasnt that tough of a choice in the end, thought weed first then the guitar, may complement each other :)

@Laramie, :), was like a different language to me that, but hopefully will be able to refer back to it an know what ya on bout :rofl:

@1up, cheers will check that out, yeah you's will soon know when i can play a tune, ill be buzzing.

@Weed G, yeah will try as simple as i can to start, i like all sorts, from kasabian, kings of leon, G'n'R, Van Halen, Rollin Stones, Rage against the machine, oasis, to prodigy n breakbeat stuff, list could go on, summet easy along them lines would work for me, cheers.

@MartininLondon, cheers will look into that, just look for the easiest chords in a song an stick with that then yeah, not sure what this fenders like, but was looking at the les pauls, always wanted a guitar but when i read slashes book i wanted one more, specially the sunburst les paul but had my eye on a silver black one, looks mint, seen them slash ones, look the biz them, is it a gibson one yeah? cheers :rofl:

thanks for all replys, took me some reply'in that :rofl:

stairway denied :(

post-30928-1254345795_thumb.jpg

That`s nothing compared to this one :rofl:

:)lol ill start with the may i help you riff lol