Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
toastedsuppy

£6.99 To Control Fan!!!!

Well if the title excited you it did me

i got a piece of kit yesterday i aint seen before you plug any lamp in it and it terms into dimmer

so i tried to plug my fan in to see if i can slow down and it worked but i only let run for under a minute cause a burning smell came almost immediately from the dimmer part of my new bit of kit , i paniced and turned straight off does anyone think this smell will go i know some new things do smell to start with but i dare not try again so have i found a new bit of wonderful kit or have i wasted another 6.99 help needed and fully appreciated

please explain simple cause im shite at electronics full stop :stoned::D

You need to get a ceiling fan controller not a dimmer switch, i got one for £17 from bbq :stoned:

You need to get a ceiling fan controller not a dimmer switch, i got one for £17 from bbq :stoned:

i know mate but i cant even wire them together i thought this was easy way cheers

toasted

e2a if i get a b an q one can you pm a pic or someite please

Edited by toastedsuppy

The light dimmer ones are useless for the purposes of controlling the speed of RVK-type fans - that burning smell *won't* go away - it will just continue and get worse until the magic smoke is let out of either it, the fan, or both. :D

Even the 'ceiling fan controllers' aren't really up to the task of controlling RVKs - they are for a different type of fan. Variacs are the way to go with RVK/Rucks. :B):

:spliff:

The light dimmer ones are useless for the purposes of controlling the speed of RVK-type fans - that burning smell *won't* go away - it will just continue and get worse until the magic smoke is let out of either it, the fan, or both. :D

Even the 'ceiling fan controllers' aren't really up to the task of controlling RVKs - they are for a different type of fan. Variacs are the way to go with RVK/Rucks. :B):

thanks for that matey defo seems to be the feeling i am shit at elecs and scared to tell people who i trust at me yard

cheers toasted

Variacs are a bit pricey but they are the dog's bollocks for controlling RVKs really smoothly and safely, and they are not hard to wire up at all. :B):

if you have got the cash get a variac

Edited by bart
remove spam

If it makes the fan hum then its not happy.

If it makes the fan hum then its not happy.

The hum to do with it not lowering the voltage i think. Someone else here will be able to tell you for sure but its not a problem with the fan.

just bought myself a 0.75A variac (variable transformer) from maplin for £31.14 plus delivery. real easy to connect up if you can follow a diagram and you know which wires are which in a plug. will hopefully be here by the weekend so will try and put together a simple step by step guide for a controller. there's no real magic to it, just need to connect the input and output up and fashion some kind of housing. i'm hoping that because it goes from 0-100 rather than in steps i'll be able to use it to control the temperature somewhat through my cool tube. fingers crossed. i can't see why this won't work. i wish more people had a basic grounding in electrics, £31 for a variac and an hour of my time (if that). bargain... (plus i feel like i'm sleeping next to a jet engine at the moment... not good.)

will report back on the Maplin Variac...

in a bit!

ben

just bought myself a 0.75A variac (variable transformer) from maplin for £31.14 plus delivery. real easy to connect up if you can follow a diagram and you know which wires are which in a plug. will hopefully be here by the weekend so will try and put together a simple step by step guide for a controller. there's no real magic to it, just need to connect the input and output up and fashion some kind of housing. i'm hoping that because it goes from 0-100 rather than in steps i'll be able to use it to control the temperature somewhat through my cool tube. fingers crossed. i can't see why this won't work. i wish more people had a basic grounding in electrics, £31 for a variac and an hour of my time (if that). bargain... (plus i feel like i'm sleeping next to a jet engine at the moment... not good.)

will report back on the Maplin Variac...

in a bit!

ben

Hi mate

if u did do a real simple diagram i would be so gratful

toasted