Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
weedboy94

Fishing into the north sea

18 posts in this topic

Im new to fishing, just after any advice, im in the north east at the moment so will be fishing off the coast into the north sea, iv got a 10 foot rod, and theres a couple of piers i can fish off, and a beach, and the tidal rivers wear and tyne, so any one know what sort of bait/hooks/set up i should use, im pretty clueless as have only been river fishing before, so any advice would be great! cheers

Edited by weedboy94

lugworm ...garden worms too

I used to fish in the wear all the time mate,used to fish at Soutnwick for flounders,and the odd whiting,its a great river for salmon and sea-trout as well,get yourself down to Roker pier,the mackerel should be appearing inshore soon as it gets a little warmer :yahoo:

If your fishing in the rivers you cant beat rag and peeler,collect them both locally :yahoo:

The best piece of advice I can give you is whenever you plan to go out sea fishing always tell someone where you plan to go fishing and what time you will be back by. Even if you take other people fishing with you then still let other know of your plans so if you are not back by a certain time then they can raise the alarm. Some people may be reading this and laughing but that just highlights their naivety toward the sea and its very real dangers. Never underestimate the force and the power of the sea or you could very easily be be left wishing you hadn't.

The vast majority of the time people are fine and have a great time fishing or doing whatever in the sea with no problems atall, you just have to be aware of the dangers and don't become complacent.

Personally I rate peeler crabs, ragworm, mackerel and squid as good bait and the fresher the better, have a good time.

E2A: Always check the weather forecasts before setting off as it is best to avoid the sea in rough conditions, heavy winds and storms.

Edited by Hashishin

cheers for the replies, Badpenny, i had heard about the salmon and sea trout, sounds good! did you catch much when you were fishing off the pier? what size hooks did you use?

cheers

Edited by weedboy94

cheers hashishin mate

im in the area.... fish the north sea lots...

right now all your gonna get is whiting and flatties from local piers/cliffs/beaches... roker inbetween the piers is good for flatty all year round. tis also fun floating for mackerel there when theyre in. nice sandy gently sloping bottom there, no snags

the mackerel will be here around june - sept.... you'll have good days and bad days... you can spin all day and get nada or you could go down and catch 100+ best when the sea is calm and clear

other than that your looking at winter cod... roker pier is ok as are the beaches at whitburn, lots of rough ground there but wait till theres been a good north easterly storm.

ryhope beaches give up the odd bass fishing the surf line, best get some chest waders for that.

tbh the fishing around here is fairly poor... you can stand on the pier and hit a shoal of whiting that will entertain you for a couple of hrs... or you can blank 3 - 4 nights in a row. me and my mates go to scotland a lot or up into northumberland....

get your bait from the trading post on hylton road... rag and peeler work best around here

Edited by TheDudeAbides

cheers dude thats spot on mate

I once caught over 100 assorted salmon and sea-trout in a weekend just past the A19 bridge at South Hylton :yep: Is the "Trading post" on Hylton Road or silkie row bank?Is Hylton Hydro still open? :yahoo:

hylton road amongst all the 2nd hand shops... hylton hydro closed a few yrs back, i only ever caught the place open once!!!

The second hand shops were silksworth row bank,just past hylton road,do a google earth,check it out,I used to get my airguns from there as a kid,the woman in Hylton Hydro didnt have a clue to be honest,not surprised they closed,we used to get the train through to newcastle to secret garden when we were kids,and get our seeds from passhas,I did a few outdoor crops in sunderland,turned out decent as well :soap:

had a few local outdoor myself 8)

you still local?

had a few local outdoor myself 8)

you still local?

I left sunderland when I was a kid mate,lived abroad till 97 when we handed HK back to China,now I live 50% of the time in surrey,50% of the time in asia B) Still got family in sunderland and penshaw though :soap:

I went today and caught four whiting in about 2 hours, is that a good catch? they were all really small, im looking for the bigger fish, is maybe my bait not at the right height or something?