Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

oldtimer1

For Sr

67 posts in this topic

Thanks for the info Felix.. lol

No worries lol

I would think about making a big perlite bean bag mate...

Now THAT'S an idea. However as I am getting very good (not great) results with my present mix, I think I'll stick with the perilite for now. Once it is out then I'll try the coir.

how long to leave the pots in the run off?

20 or 30 mins?

30 mins is fine.

1 person likes this

I would think about making a big perlite bean bag mate...

Now THAT'S an idea. However as I am getting very good (not great) results with my present mix, I think I'll stick with the perilite for now. Once it is out then I'll try the coir.

Thats a terrible idea, supprised nobody mentioned it. Perlite will irritate your lungs.

I'm pretty sure they dont use perlite in bean bags lol

I always wet perlite in the bag before using it (on plants) to avoid the possibility of inhaling little shards of perlite. And I wear a scarf over my mouth and nose if possible.

:unsure:

1 person likes this

What coir do u fellas use? i google it as i never heard of it and i found brown and white coir :yinyang:

I'd argue you'd get best results from a wet/dry cycle in a medium with relatively poor aeration, as the dry stage is the only point when free gaseous exchange can take place. I think a medium with a lot of air can take a constant flow of moisture and CAN allow the fastest plant growth, providing there are no checks in watering.

So..More drainage = Potentially faster growth, providing watering is well provided.

I'd still re-pot once or twice for a decent sized plant though, incorporating more loam at each stage.

B)

some great info on here cheers

Bump

glad i just read this, some great info there ot1 and felix.

ive only just started using them little coco pots for my cuttings and i love them. will be investing in some coir blocks to add to my peat based compost very soon and out with the perlite.

Again cool stuff OT1

Again cool stuff OT1

had good results withn perlite compos,boe meal and pot ash sulphate

Wee add on.

It's been a heck of a ride since I made the posts above. :doh: But I no longer use perilite. :yahoo: Coir and compost all the way now.

Many thanks to OT1 and Comrade felix for the most excellent advice! :notworthy:

1 person likes this