Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Snake

The Chilli Thread

820 posts in this topic

'noon all

Just thought i might start a chilli thread, so it consildates all the existing chilli threads into 1 small thread.

lol

Anyways, lets get to it, whats everyone growing this year then?

I personally already have a Cayenne Chilli plant, giving about 40 green chillis at the moment, 2 Scotch Bonnets, 4 Asian Birdseye and i got 10 Numex Twilights which came through the post.

Will be a fruitful season for me, will overwinter probably all of them too, what chilli's are everyone growing this year?

I got a mixture but I was stoned when I planted so did not pay attention to labelling or writing down.

Can remember Cayenne, Jalapeno :yes:

Will put some pics up.

Good idea Snake

this year i will be mostly growing fresco, red cherry, purple beauty and corno di rotto rosso. :guitar:

P220409_19.24a.bmp

I've got little plants of 'Kung Pao' grown, they are doing well apart from being a little bit twisted and aphid munched at the top, but this seems to happen every year and they seem to grow away o.k..and I have got seeds for 'Andy' and 'Joes Long Red' but I'm not sure if I'm going to get around to sowing them now... :guitar:

I think they are pretty hot though, and I've got about 10, so it should keep me in mouth burning for a while anyway.

It's got to be Naga Morich and Bhut Jolokia for me, I like it hot hot HOT!

I did Numex Twilight and Pimiento de Padron last year and I thought they were both great. The Numex was really colourful too.

When did you start your Cayenne?

Rx.

I'm doing 'Heatwave' & a 'Tropical Heat Mix'........I've had little success in previous years with chillis, but this will be my first time with a greenhouse this year, so I hope to do a lot better.

Seedlings are up......I'm excited :guitar:

Bumper crops y'all :yep:

ETA - what does everyone do with their harvest? what storage methods do you use?...........the one time I've had a decent amount from a plant, I tried to pickle them, but it didn't seem to turn out well :D

Hopefully this year, I'll get enough to do a nice line of dried chillis in the GH

Edited by fresh air inspector

Got my plant from a garden centre last year around this time and brought it inside over winter, it survived and now its producing plenty of chillis=]

this year i will be mostly growing fresco, red cherry, purple beauty and corno di rotto rosso. :blub:

Don't forget the Sweet Banana and Jalapeno lol

Looks like we bought the same packet of Johnsons seeds :D

spot on O.G. wil be poting up my 15 plants today and then start the sweet banana and jalapeno.

Edited by nelviss

some heatwave and prairie fire popping up in the propagator right now with (the quite hilarious) peter pepper, sahara, maui purple and zaino in the post. it's my first time growing chillis but i have high hopes :ninja:

we'll see what comes of that then, eh?

this is my first year growing chilli's and these are the varieties I am growing

1) yellow hungarian hot wax

2) Apache

3) pimento

Peace greenie :ninja:

ETA - what does everyone do with their harvest? what storage methods do you use?...........the one time I've had a decent amount from a plant, I tried to pickle them, but it didn't seem to turn out well :headpain:

pickling works, i prefer to dry them, just hang them in with your drying buds :rofl: they take a while , crack the tops and squeeze to make sure they aren't moldy and are proper dry.

the mother in law heats them in oil and then jars up the oil and the chillis, loverly for frying tomatoes.

this year i am doing hot wax, demon red, tokyo hot, choclate habenero, + assorted sweet peppers and a whole load of second generation seeds all random crosses from last years

i grew an apache chilli last year and its the first time i realised the fungus gnat my seemingly unstoppable enemy, but this year im trying out jalapino's and some f1 piros so hopefully ill get some nice juicy babies.

OOOOOOoooo Chillis :)

I loves a good chilli i do, this year im doing jalapeno, cherry bomb, scotch bonnet and chinese five colour lovely looking plant they are. There all in flower in the polytunnel with a flowers dropped and chillis starting to creep out :smoke:

I've got Tokyo Hot, Hot Jalapeno, Orange Habanero and Scotch Bonnet Red, all a bit small yet to post pics... got them on the window sill