Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
namkha

CBD - Cannabidiol: A Summary of the Research

83 posts in this topic

I must conclude that imo saying that cbd isn't psychoactive doesn't do justice to it. It does alter your perception a bit and also makes you kind of slow, almost dull at higher doses. I think that qualifies as psycho activity.

Combined with thc it feels as if your frontal lobe was totallly frozen. It pretty much freeses your brain activity along with it too. I experimented with asetone and was able to get ok results with basic hemp trim rich in cbd.

how can you possibly know that that it was CBD producing that effect?

acetone will have disolved every single organic chemical in that hemp which was soluble in an organic solvent, including all of the terpenes

and the research doesn't exactly say that CBD is not psychoactive

the paper headings in the research are reflecting the understanding at the time - eg in the '60s when they thought it was non-psychoactive

as far as I know the current understanding is that, as well as supressing anxiety, it produces a sense of clarity and mental lucidity

the only piece of research supporting the idea that it is soporific was one where a guy was given something like 5g of CBD... you would need to consume a lot of pot to get that much CBD in your system... 5g of any polyphenol in yours system would likely makely you feel pretty fucked, your liver would be realing

how can you possibly know that that it was CBD producing that effect?

acetone will have disolved every single organic chemical in that hemp which was soluble in an organic solvent, including all of the terpenes

and the research doesn't exactly say that CBD is not psychoactive

the paper headings in the research are reflecting the understanding at the time - eg in the '60s when they thought it was non-psychoactive

as far as I know the current understanding is that, as well as supressing anxiety, it produces a sense of clarity and mental lucidity

the only piece of research supporting the idea that it is soporific was one where a guy was given something like 5g of CBD... you would need to consume a lot of pot to get that much CBD in your system... 5g of any polyphenol in yours system would likely makely you feel pretty fucked, your liver would be realing

Call it intuition lol

Yes, you're right I cannot be certain it is the cbd in the material that is causing the effects. With so little study being done on terpenes and such I cannot know all the factors involved ones percieved high. All I can do is report how the overall result felt like. Injesting pure cbd is probably a whole different matter.

As for it being non psychoactive I wasn't referring to any of the studies posted here, rather than the wikipedia article, which ooooh so many people consider the ultimate truth.

*bump*

Nice one namhka. :cheers:

I would like to see this topic pinned. :yes:

I just wish there were a strain that froze sciatic & other nerve systems. Some do help a bit, but man, I really do wish for that today..... and most every day! lol

Good work being done, I think we'll see more CBD rich strains soon. Let's hope they do indeed broaden the therapeutic range of Cannabis.

hi Arnold

if the papers and Sativex blurb is to be believed, then a 1:1 THC:CBD strain would be one way to go if looking to create a good strain for pain relief

specifically for sciatic pain I have no idea

but Ethan Russo and GW Pharma etc. cite their 1:1 THC:CBD as being effective for central and peripheral neuropathic pain - sure you've read it

Sativex®, a cannabis derived oromucosal spray containing equal proportions of THC (partial CB1 receptor agonist ) and cannabidiol (CBD, a non-euphoriant, anti-inflammatory analgesic with CB1 receptor antagonist and endocannabinoid modulating effects) was approved in Canada in 2005 for treatment of central neuropathic pain in multiple sclerosis, and in 2007 for intractable cancer pain. Numerous randomized clinical trials have demonstrated safety and efficacy for Sativex in central and peripheral neuropathic pain, rheumatoid arthritis and cancer pain.

it should be possible to use the Mazar-i-Sharif and Lebanese that RSC have to find a 1:1 THC:CBD mother plant - with most charas varieties, 50% of plants should have that ratio

the other option would be to grow lots of plants and make hash

you'd expect, as these are charas plants, that 1/4 of plants would be pure THC, 1/2 would be 1:1 THC:CBD, and 1/4 would be pure THC --- which would give you 1:1 THC:CBD hash, if you mixed together the hash the plants made

Problem is, Sativex proved useless for me, much less effective than proper herb.

I am not convinced that 1:1 is the way to go.

THC and distraction therapy, anyone? I'm sure its a better way to go......

But nature's balance is best IMHO.

re. THC and distraction therapy --- I remember reading about how two Theravada Buddhist meditation techniques (concentration on the breath (anapana) and dispassionate observation (vipassana)) were shown in trials to be very effective in dealing with pain...

one anecdote in the paper was about a very old Indian woman who had chosen to use meditation rather than pain meds during terminal liver cancer... the pain is said to be comparable to child birth... as a serious Buddhist meditator she valued her clarity of mind that much, and presumably also had a lot of control over her powers of concentration, and confidence in her ability to control her awareness of the pain

there's no question one of the effects of THC is to produce quite deep states of attention on things - the stoned mind can get very involved in things to the exclusion of awareness of anything else, so it follows that the psychoactive effect of THC could be a big factor in why many people find cannabis an effective pain medicine (beyond just the euphoria and straight-forward analgesia)

the GWPharma rationale for 1:1 THC:CBD in Sativex is here in the abstract from a paper called A tale of two cannabinoids: the therapeutic rationale for combining tetrahydrocannabinol and cannabidiol.

This study examines the current knowledge of physiological and clinical effects of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD) and presents a rationale for their combination in pharmaceutical preparations. Cannabinoid and vanilloid receptor effects as well as non-receptor mechanisms are explored, such as the capability of THC and CBD to act as anti-inflammatory substances independent of cyclo-oxygenase (COX) inhibition. CBD is demonstrated to antagonise some undesirable effects of THC including intoxication, sedation and tachycardia, while contributing analgesic, anti-emetic, and anti-carcinogenic properties in its own right. In modern clinical trials, this has permitted the administration of higher doses of THC, providing evidence for clinical efficacy and safety for cannabis based extracts in treatment of spasticity, central pain and lower urinary tract symptoms in multiple sclerosis, as well as sleep disturbances, peripheral neuropathic pain, brachial plexus avulsion symptoms, rheumatoid arthritis and intractable cancer pain. Prospects for future application of whole cannabis extracts in neuroprotection, drug dependency, and neoplastic disorders are further examined. The hypothesis that the combination of THC and CBD increases clinical efficacy while reducing adverse events is supported.

Edited by namkha

Im growing out a couple of Canatonic atm......50% CBO...50% THC.........very much looking forward to

trying it....although its gonna take a while....9-10-11 wk finisher and very slow to begin blooming

...........peace.......M

Can I ask which of the rsc strains are high in CBD ? In particular I'd like to ask is the Leb is ? I fancy them anyway, as I've always loved Leb quite aside from my current interest in the potential medical benefits (re MS). Thanks also to the RSC for making these genetics available to home growers :spliff:

hi Arbuscule

sorry, must have missed your question before

in another thread Tomas has done some cannalyse tests on the Parvati and Lebanese

it looks like the Lebanese will have about 1/4 pure CBD plants, another 50% of plants being 1:1 THC:CBD, and the other 25% being pure THC plants

that is what you would expect from a lot of varieties used for hashish/charas

so with RSC plants, the Mazar-i-Sharif is also still a good bet, but nobody has tested it with cannalyse etc. yet

possibly the Garhwali Jungli could be worth a try if you can find a more wild pheno, maybe the Pahari and Nanda Devi too

the results of Tomas' Lebanese test are somewhere in that other thread

...interesting the Russo thing says CBD actually counteracts the THC effect of sedation...

Edited by namkha

Thank you very much for the great information namkha :D My search for the CBD allele is on. I have two Lebanese females in flower :)

I may be barking up a completely different bush here, but I was reading a post about the 'good ol' grass' we got in the 70s - full of seeds and twigs. That led me to cross reference with the increasing amounts of THC and decreasing amounts of CBD....

OK, so a complete newbee like me is more likely to be wrong than right, but has anyone ever done a CBD test on a pollinated grow complete with seeds? It would have to be a landrace????

We're medical use only growers and being stoned is NOT advisable when you have the aptly initialled SS crawling all over your behaviour.. That being said we have a large shed and unused dormer... space and production matter little compared with effectiveness of 'product'. I would try this for myself but the kits are way beyond our budget and probably ability as well. From the write ups I've been seeing probably not so accurate either?????? We will be growing tomatoes, aubergines and a few other things to cut the food budget, so we have a reason for 'things'.

On the good side we planted 8 seeds two days ago and were thinking that even in the heated part of the house they may not come out to play.... the propagator is taking it's time to get here and herself was getting itchy..... Today I looked over to the seed tray and there was a baby at least an inch high and she hadn't been there last night..... All hands on deck and the little grow light comes out of storage and we are way to go.

Above all be happy,

Fox

P.S. Is it normal for wives to coo over a seedling like a new baby? Or am I just Lucky?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0