Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Comrade Stoker

Global warming sham

1,019 posts in this topic

I think that capitalism benefitting from a global disaster has truly muddied the waters and left the world in a kind of impotent limbo. 

3 people like this

Note the OP has traded his modern small car in for an older, larger, much less efficient model since this thread has been running.

10 minutes ago, Cambium said:

I think that capitalism benefitting from a global disaster has truly muddied the waters and left the world in a kind of impotent limbo. 

:yes:

Humans have created a modern global warming disaster.

Yes, there are periods of natural global warming and also periods of natural global cooling.

But the current trend towards global warming is not natural, it has been caused or influenced by human activity.

Human inluenced climate change is a real thing.

The fact that some utter cunts have seen the forthcoming global warming disaster as a way to make money, by pretending that they are anti-global warming (and in doing so, making stupid money) doesn't change the reality - we have caused and are causing global warming, and the fact that there are some cunts making oney from it doesn't change the fact that it's actualy happening.

1 person likes this

I totally see that climate change is happening in some way. It's the gigantic industry that has grown around it and the tons of political bullshit that I am opposed to. They keep banging on about "renewables" and "suatainable" and the truth is the public don't really understand any of it.

A very real, tangible, visible environmental disaster happening right now, and needing urgent intervention - is plastics. Plastic garbage is choking and polluting waterways, habitats, ecosystems everywhere. yet nobody is interested. It's all "CO2 blah blah" and the huge corrupt marketplace that this bullshit sustains.

Trump exited the Paris agreement, probably for bullshit reasons, but the truth is - that agreement wasn't fit for anything other than sustaining the industries it created and that rely on CO2 to exist!

4 people like this

This isn't an either/or type situation. We've got to up our game quick smart in every arena. We are at the stage now where the combined efforts of humanity could make a difference, but it need to be bought into globally. Massive ammounts, in the trillions, of investment is needed in renewables, nuclear, and remediation. It's shown possible on a small scale and upscaling is just that.

I agree about how language is used though. I've always had a bug up my arse about what the word sustainable has become. It's almost meaningless now

It's all gone to fuckery.

The consprialoon wankers have dismissed the fact that there is global climate change caused by human activity, because there happens to be a few cunts that have profited from it.

The flat earth, idiotic, rejection of actual fact brigade have rejected it because they are just too fucking stupid for words.

The Trump brigade have rejected it because rejecting it makes them richer, and fuck everyone else.

Stupid wins.

Yay stupid.

1 person likes this

I think that we're just going to have to accept that we are fucked. We aren't anything special and nature doesn't think so either. She's extincted plenty of animals and cultures already. It's a bit of a pisser, having invested time, emotions and energy in my children's future and it turning out that there isn't going to be one but hey ho, what can you do? 

2 people like this

Human adaptability is our greatest strength and weakness , the recent smog in New Delhi was likened to smoking 50 fags a day, it makes you wonder what it'll take for those with their hands on the reins to change direction?

What more possible motivation do we need? money rules, the rich will breath and the poor choke.

sadly, we will continue on our current course, there doesn't seem to be any impetus for change, at least not by anyone who can actually alter things.

Sorry, drunk ranty wankery :rolleyes:

But...

Human created global warming is a thing.

The world has had periods of warm and cold, ice ages and warmer ages and shit. But we have had an effect. We may be in between ice ages and shit, but human industrialism has had an effect - to pretend thad it hasn't is nonsensical.

I cannot deny that some absolute fucking cunts have taken the idea of the human influence on climate change and used it to their advantage - cunts who lobby for nonsense to make themselves richer - I won't deny that at all. But just because some cunts use it to get rich doesn't mean that it's not happening, and to be honest I'd far rather some cunt get rich from that if it means that the world isn't fucked than people ignoring it and letting the world go to hell... So some cunts may be playing us and getting rich - that's how the world works. So the current trend for 'environmentalism' may just be a con to make people rich. It's better than raping the world and fuck everything, isn't it ? :unsure:

E2A Sorry. Fucking 4 cans of Brewdog Jack Hammer IPA (It's a very nice IPA, but riciculously strong) then 10 bottles of Goose Island IPA (a realy nice beer, but also pretty strong). Talking drunk nonsense again :rolleyes:

Edited by Boojum

23 minutes ago, sam-i-am said:

We aren't anything special and nature doesn't think so either.

"intelligence is a lethal mutation" - someone.

Edited by Cambium
3 people like this

Are we going to get Siberian weather everyone the launch a SpaceX rocket that uses twice the fuel as they land it also.

Fossil fuels run dirty so even if global warming is fake then who wants to live in a car fuel hotbox.

What gets me is the governments and NGOs getting on individuals cases about personal carbon footprints but meanwhile allow companies to bury radioactive waste and test nukes un the oceans. Would be interesting to see the affects of modern war on climate change.

Single use and disposable plastic is evil!

Brrrrrrrr.

Gulf Stream current at its weakest in 1,600 years, studies show

Warm current that has historically caused dramatic changes in climate is experiencing an unprecedented slowdown and may be less stable than thought - with potentially severe consequences

Damian Carrington Environment editor

Wed 11 Apr 2018 18.00 BSTLast modified on Wed 11 Apr 2018 23.39 BST

• View more sharing options

Shares

Scene from The Day After Tomorrow
 Scene from The Day After Tomorrow showing the Statue of Liberty covered in ice. In the film a rapid shutdown of the Amoc current causes the temperatures to plummet overnight. In reality the change will be much slower, but still dramatic.
Photograph: 20th Century Fox/Kobal/REX/Shutterstock

The warm Atlantic current linked to severe and abrupt changes in the climate in the past is now at its weakest in at least 1,600 years, new research shows. The findings, based on multiple lines of scientific evidence, throw into question previous predictions that a catastrophic collapse of the Gulf Stream would take centuries to occur.

Such a collapse would see western Europe suffer far more extreme winters, sea levels rise fast on the eastern seaboard of the US and would disrupt vital tropical rains. The new research shows the current is now 15% weaker than around 400AD, an exceptionally large deviation, and that human-caused global warming is responsible for at least a significant part of the weakening.

The current, known as the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation (Amoc), carries warm water northwards towards the north pole. There it cools, becomes denser and sinks, and then flows back southwards. But global warming hampers the cooling of the water, while melting ice in the Arctic, particularly from Greenland, floods the area with less dense freshwater, weakening the Amoc current.

Scientists know that Amoc has slowed since 2004, when instruments were deployed at sea to measure it. But now two new studies have provided comprehensive ocean-based evidence that the weakening is unprecedented in at least 1,600 years, which is as far back as the new research stretches.

“Amoc is a really important part of the Earth’s climate system and it has played an important part in abrupt climate change in the past,” said Dr David Thornalley, from University College London who led one of the new studies. He said current climate models do not replicate the observed slowdown, suggesting that Amoc is less stable that thought.

During the last ice age, some big changes in Amoc led to winter temperatures changing by 5-10C in as short a time as one to three years, with major consequences for the weather over the land masses bordering the Atlantic. “The [current] climate models don’t predict [an Amoc shutdown] is going to happen in the future – the problem is how certain are we it is not going to happen? It is one of these tipping points that is relatively low probability, but high impact.”

The study by Thornalley and colleagues, published in Nature, used cores of sediments from a key site off Cape Hatteras in North Carolina to examine Amoc over the last 1600 years. Larger grains of sediment reflect faster Amoc currents and vice versa.

They also used the shells of tiny marine creatures from sites across the Atlantic to measure a characteristic pattern of temperatures that indicate the strength of Amoc. When it weakens, a large area of ocean around Iceland cools, as less warm water is brought north, and the waters off the east coast of the US get warmer.

The second study, also published in Nature, also used the characteristic pattern of temperatures, but assessed this using thermometer data collected over the last 120 years or so.

Both studies found that Amoc today is about 15% weaker than 1,600 years ago, but there were also differences in their conclusions. The first study found significant Amoc weakening after the end of the little ice age in about 1850, the result of natural climate variability, with further weakening caused later by global warming.

The second study suggests most of the weakening came later, and can be squarely blamed on the burning of fossil fuels. Further research is now being undertaken to understand the reasons for the differences.

However, it is already clear that human-caused climate change will continue to slow Amoc, with potentially severe consequences. “If we do not rapidly stop global warming, we must expect a further long-term slowdown of the Atlantic overturning,” said Alexander Robinson, at the University of Madrid, and one of the team that conducted the second study. He warned: “We are only beginning to understand the consequences of this unprecedented process – but they might be disruptive.”

A 2004 disaster movie, The Day After Tomorrow, envisaged a rapid shutdown of Amoc and a devastating freeze. The basics of the science were portrayed correctly, said Thornalley: “Obviously it was exaggerated – the changes happened in a few days or weeks and were much more extreme. But it is true that in the past this weakening of Amoc happened very rapidly and caused big changes.”

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/apr/11/critical-gulf-stream-current-weakest-for-1600-years-research-finds?CMP=share_btn_tw

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

There's nothing like a good old fashioned cataclysm to reset the balance of nature :yep:

IMO there's no denying that the warming/cooling is happening, whether it's solely influenced by humans or not, the question is (for me) what are we/what can we do about it as a collective, and is it too late?? Sadly I don't see a global epiphany happening anytime soon, unless we can figure a way to lace the global water supply with Psilocybin? Ayahuasca? Peyote? LSD bombs maybe? :wassnnme: Perhaps when cannabis legalization finally spreads across the world people will eventually see sense? :thumsup: I think psychedelics likely always did hold the answers, we just outgrew/forgot them in our arrogance and selfishness, leading to... "pull the ladder up jack and let the next generation sort it out!"

There's never been a better time to take up cannabis, the end is nigh, spark up folks and forget about it :smokin:

:P

Edited by stoned_ape
1 person likes this