Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jakk

BRRRR, river fishing in the snow

22 posts in this topic

Mr TightBud came down for the weekend and we went chubbing this afternoon on the river Kennet. :stoned:

We had a very cold night down here and awoke to see a dusting of snow on the ground, The chub weren't playing and we only stayed for a couple of hours but it was nice to get out and scenery looked stunning. :ouch:

We saw lots of Robins and had 4 of them in one swim eating the bread I was feeding them, they are getting fat on all the bread I been giving them over the last few weeks.

I had a great weekend, cheers TB and thanks for getting me stoned mate :wink:

Some pics of a cold winter river

Waiting for the chub to bite

post-15707-1231607797_thumb.jpg

post-15707-1231607768_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jakk

One of those fat Robins :wink:

post-15707-1231608004_thumb.jpg

How cold? :stoned:

post-15707-1231608086_thumb.jpg

cracking use of that robin to disguise the fag packet :stoned: I hope you picked it up?

Some horsey people enjoying the snow

post-15707-1231608219_thumb.jpg

post-15707-1231608181_thumb.jpg

cracking use of that robin to disguise the fag packet :wink: I hope you picked it up?

Aye, that was there when we arrived, we got a lovely piece of river like that and people leave all their crap on the banks when they go, I did pick it up before we left the swim :stoned:

A different swim

post-15707-1231608596_thumb.jpg

post-15707-1231608614_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jakk

That is a classic chub hole under there, they live a deep hole under neath that tree trunk, we rolled a bait into the hole a few times but they were not having it today

post-15707-1231608947_thumb.jpg

post-15707-1231608929_thumb.jpg

What were you using for bait ?

What were you using for bait ?

We tried bread flake, cheese paste and garlic flavoured meat. No loose feed today, I know the fish are there so if they are hungry they will take your bait, not today though :rofl:

bread is a top bait for chubbing this time of year but I wouldn't leave home without my lobs, saved me from blanking loads of times.

Joe.

On the telly they used minced beef and lamprey and pre-baited the swims.

It wasn't quite as cold though.

Another trick I use this time of the year is to use a taped up feeder with chopped worm inside so only the juices escape with a large lob on the hook. Sometimes I nip the end of the lob sometimes I crank a bubble into it.

Joe

really lovely lookin pics it makes u want to go out an fish until u remeber how feckin cold it is

Man alive that looks cold, can't say I'm jealous of your day but I'm glad you had a good'un :rofl:

really lovely lookin pics it makes u want to go out an fish until u remeber how feckin cold it is

Snap :rofl:

I was almost ready to cycle down and see what the local river looked like ...

bread is a top bait for chubbing this time of year but I wouldn't leave home without my lobs, saved me from blanking loads of times.

Joe.

I agree, I catch most of my cold weather chub on big a lump of bread flake on a size 4 hook. Lobs are good bait too, its been to cold to go and collect them for weeks now, my local tackle shop don't sell them