Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sheeps

Got the bug again

Hello PPL

Cant believe how many fishy ppl there are on here (theres quite a few fishermen too)

Anyway when i was a lad i used to go fishing every weekend i loved it and after many many years i am deciding to get back into it (i have been going with my father in law and last weekend he put me in a match and i had the most amazing time which is one of the reasons ive decided to get it all back up and running)

i have got bugger all equipment but luckily there was a tackle shop about to go under where my father in law lives so he quite literally bought everything stock wise to sell on himself (apart from a few rods, nets, boxes etc to set me back up again with)

Right the point of this post is i can actually catch fish but thats the extent of my knowlege someone usually sets up for me so i cant even tie a hook onto the line where is the best place to get any advice untill i have found my feet? should i be looking for a local angling club? will i get laughed at for being a complete noob?

the ideal situation would be to go with my father in law more often but he lives on the IOW so i can only go down a couple of times a year.

Anywho happy catching :yep:

SS

get a few magazines mate , should show you a few good tips in there

Just call in at your local tackle shop mate and they should be more than happy to show you the way

Most will and do

We arnt a bad lot, us danglers

Owd

Hello mate and welcome to the UK420 fishing club.

Get yourself a subscription to "Improve Your Coarse Fishing" magazine, there is always loads of info and tips in there for novice anglers. Its a monthly mag, you can get it in WHS.

Also have a look at this website, lots of archived stuff on there and a forum too http://www.fishingmagic.com/

As suggested by Owd get down your local tackle shop, explain to them you are new to fishing and would like some advise on how to tackle up and what local waters to fish etc, make sure you buy some bits a pieces off them though, if you go in there regularly and make friends with them they will help you out no worries.

Once spring is here and the weather has warmed up a bit try and fish some easy well stocked local lakes with carp, tench, bream etc, if you fish some easy waters to begin with you should catch plenty of fish and also hone your skills at the same time. Your local tackle shop should be able to point you in the right direction.

Joining a club makes sence if you plan on doing lots of fishing as it will work out much cheaper and you will also meet people and hopefully make friends to go fishing with. One of my local clubs has a nice 3 lake complex, with a big well stocked lake full of lower double figure carp and plenty of tench and bream too, its really easy fishing and 100lb baq of fish are common place, the other 2 lakes have a lower stock of fish but they are of specimen size , these lakes are more of a challenge, we also have 2 streches of the river Kennet with big chub and Barbel fishing, all this for £50 a season, this is the kinda club you should be looking for.

You can always post any questions you have on here too mate, I pop in here everyday and will gladly give you some adivse as will most of the other good people in here too.

One last thing, make sure you get yourself a rod license, big fines and a criminal record if you get caught fishing without one.

Tightlines mate.

Thanks for the replies guys...

I already have a rod license as i have had a few outings this year will def get myself down the tackle shop and browse a few mags.

Hopefully will be comparing catches soon :sadwalk:

Also have a look at this website, lots of archived stuff on there and a forum too http://www.fishingmagic.com/

Evening Jakk and most importantly happy weekend :spliff:

cheers for pointing this site out, loads of info.

well looking forward to getting back into it all, found my local tackleshop and i am only about 100m away from the canal so get the gear together and have a great summer 09 :rofl:

the fact that if Mrs SS ever does that whole i think its time for a pointless argument thing she will be stomping about only to find a sign "gone fishing" haha result.

Magazines are ok, but get yourself on a decent angling forum. They can be very very helpful.

You will learn from your mistakes. Try not to get too sucked in by wonder baits and the latest gadgets (it happens to all of us at some point). They will not catch you more fish, good water craft and a bit of patience will :stoned:

Try not to get too sucked in by wonder baits and the latest gadgets (it happens to all of us at some point). They will not catch you more fish, good water craft and a bit of patience will :rofl:

A good bit of advise there mate, Watercraft is the most important skill you can learn in fishing and most of the so called wonderbaits that are advertised are there to catch the angler rather than the fish.

Good luck with it mate and let us know how you are getting on on here.

Oh and once you have a bit of experience under your belt try and find a river near you with a population of barbel in it, get some strong tackle and have a go for them, you won't believe how powerfull they are, a fight with a big barbel on a small river is heart stopping stuff and I love it. I would say that though as I am a river angler they are my favourite quarry.

Tightlines