Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
browngreen

Green spots on rockwool???

As the title says i've got green spots on all my 3" cubes, they are fixed to slabs on a dutch dripper system my 5 plants seem healthy at 24 days old and are an average of about 9" tall.I think it looks a bit like a mold are my babys in danger???

please help thx

Its ok panic over i found this on grodan site

'I have a really bad algi problem using Rockwool. Is there anything that you can suggest to stop this problem from occuring?

With the wool being wet, and light shining on it, it is natural to get algi. Algae in itself is not harmfull to the plant, however algae might be an invitation to fungus gnats.

There are two things you can do to prevent or minimize the algae growth:

Cover the exposed wool with plastic.

If you are getting clay pellets (hydroton/hydrokorrels) you will see some brown dust in the bottom of the bag. Put that dust in a salt shaker and sprinkle it on top of the wool. The brown dust does not dissolve.'

Very usefull thread for anyone growing using rockwool ... cheers :headpain:

:D hi mate

i think all rockwool go's green after a bit....

i always get it and have nether suffered a problem, i grow passive using cellmax and have never had a prob :D

and as for fungus gnats they'll only get in your room if you let em lol

all the best jgs

hi mate

I posted a similar post a few days back, did some research and it seems that the algae will do little if no damage at all. I spoke to some mates who always have alage growing on their rockwool and have never had problems with pests (touch wood).

cheers

mindhunter