Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
namkha

THC and CBD in drug cannabis strains

60 posts in this topic

A chemotaxonomic analysis of cannabinoid variation in Cannabis (Cannabaceae)

Karl W. Hillig and Paul G. Mahlberg

http://www.amjbot.org/cgi/content/full/91/6/966

[edit: there are more links to Hillig papers later in this thread]

Edited by namkha

Thank you for that! :blushing:

Is there an idiots guide? Way over my head, that lot.

1 person likes this

This study confirms that the THC/CBD ratio of individual Cannabis plants can be assigned to one of three discrete chemotypes. The limits between chemotypes coincide with those reported by Vollner et al. (1986) . As expected, plants with high levels of THC were common within the two drug biotypes of C. indica. However, plants with relatively high levels of THC were also common within the hemp and feral biotypes of this species. In contrast, most plants assigned to C. sativa had relatively low levels of THC. Because chemotype I, II, and III plants were found in both species, the chemotype of an individual plant is of limited use for chemotaxonomic determination of species membership.

abot-91-06-10-f04.jpeg

Fig. 4. Plot of {Delta}9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) % vs. cannabidiol (CBD) % for 253 Cannabis plants. Chemotype I, II, and III plants are marked with an X, Y, and square, respectively. Linear regression lines (forced through the origin) are drawn for each chemotype

I am useless at biology, but they do not list the individual strains, rather compare examples of strain and then group them into a chemotype based on the proportions of thc/cbd

Edited by roger
1 person likes this

I will try to remember that paper title in case I ever have dealings with the old bill.

:rofl:

I reckon I might add a geographical dimension and call it chemo-topo-taxonomic. :blub:

Roger, I haven't a clue what you're on about.

Try dropping the science-speak? And then lose the pretty picture (means nowt to me, its just gobble-di-gook to my eyes)

I'm saying it does not give a nice table with the strain and ratio next to it, so it might just be telling you what you already know.

As expected, plants with high levels of THC were common within the two drug biotypes of C. indica. However, plants with relatively high levels of THC were also common within the hemp and feral biotypes of this species. In contrast, most plants assigned to C. sativa had relatively low levels of THC.

Sorry to confuse issues further but I'm pretty sure their defenition of sativa and indica are very different from ours. C. sativa is the likes of fibre and wild hemp, C. indica is anything used for drugs wether wide or narrow leafed. I'll need to look it up got stuff to do just now.

This "feral biotypes" bit is interesting, could there be something fantastic, as yet undiscovered?

Edited by roger

This "feral biotypes" bit is interesting, could there be something fantastic, as yet undiscovered?

most likely I would have thought. In a field with precious little proper research there are plenty of places that havent been closely studied. Syria,Burma,Iran spring to mind, let alone the african continent!

i think it just means wild hemp or the types that are grown for producing bio fuel?

the CBD /CBN / THC figure ratios are out there for various strains, its just down to someone to graph em all side by side

Sorry to confuse issues further but I'm pretty sure their defenition of sativa and indica are very different from ours. C. sativa is the likes of fibre and wild hemp, C. indica is anything used for drugs wether wide or narrow leafed. I'll need to look it up got stuff to do just now.

The Sativa Myth

my understanding of the implications of this, right or not:

Cannabis indica = cannabis which gets you stoned (plus Chinese hemp)

Cannabis sativa = European hemp

Cannabis indica BLD (Broad Leaflet Drug) - most extreme example would be what we think of as typical Afghani strains with fat leaves - including both cultivated and feral types - plants will show various ratios of THC and CBD... generally used for production of hashish or charas... generally more northern in distribution, Cannabis indica BLD is prob. in part an adaptation to desert areas and areas of low rainfall... of our strains: Mazar-i-Sharif is definitiely an example

Cannabis indica NLD (Narrow Leaflet Drug) - generally tropical strains used for ganja production e.g. Thai, Kerala... tend to show only THC... our Highland Lao and Highland Thai would be this type

Chinese hemp/seed varieties are also classified as Cannabis indica - usually contain CBD, can sometimes show high THC levels... our Golden Triangle Akha is from this type of genepool but was being grown for seedless ganja, probably for culinary use... these are WLH (Wide Leaflet Hemp)

Escaped (feral) populations of Cannabis indica can also show THC (usually also CBD) --- e.g. wild (jungli) plants in the Himalaya, Southern China etc. ... the Kullu Jungli thread shows an example of this type

basically if you follow Hillig, any of the strains we have for sale are C. indica "Indian Cannabis"

Cannabis sativa --- a genepool centred closer to Europe (Eurasian), what we would think of as Hemp - i.e. for ropes - ships etc. etc. ... = NLH Narrow Leaflet Hemp

Edited by namkha

Well, I dunno. Why change it all around, after all these years? For me, its always bee easy to grasp: Indica = Hash type plants, broad leaflet, squat and skunky to the smell, stoney body buzz. Sativa = equatorial plants, thin leaf blades, lanky and tall, racey and cerebral head rush, sometimes very psychadelic. I just cant see why we should change all this aroud. For years we've known what we mean by Indica and Sativa. We none of us grow for rope, so what is going on here?

Sorry namkha, don't mean to derail the thread. It just puzzles the heck out of me why we should all now change our understanding of things. I just can't call some finest Nigerian or Congo "Indica", because to me, quite simply, it is not. It is "Sativa".

:spliff:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0