Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest podgy

BBQ

157 posts in this topic

The Grilling Revolution has begun!!!! :guitar: I'll be working on that turkey in a bit... It's hell on the palms of my hands using a stainless steel syringe to put suasage into the bird.. :sleep1:

Happy Turkey day!!!

Here we go : First up all the ingredients you need for frying a turkey.... Look at that sausage !!! I honestly can say it's the best tasting stuff I've ever eaten (as far a sausage goes)...

post-24163-1227816964_thumb.jpg

post-24163-1227816976_thumb.jpg

I take about 3/4 of a pound and put it in that little chopper and about three table spoons of olive oil and puree it until it looks like commercially prepared tuna salad... You want this stuff to be as blended as possible otherwise it clogs up the syringe lol and its hell on the hands the more course it is...

post-24163-1227817253_thumb.jpg

So I did my turkey floating and all that marked it with a piece of painters tape... also he's the rest of the hardware for the turkey fryer... You really want to have this kind of stuff when doing this makes insertion and extraction much easier and safer lol Also, it keeps the bird situated in a fixed position so no string or tying is required...

post-24163-1227817447_thumb.jpg

post-24163-1227817478_thumb.jpg

post-24163-1227817494_thumb.jpg

All that effort to float it and I still had too much oil in there... lol So here's that sausage going in... I always feeel like some mad german scientist when I do this... Ve sausage veel make you be-tar!!! lol

E2A: Note the loops on the syringe are broken... well actually one is non exhistent... If your gonna try this I highly reccomend getting a stainless steel injector with the biggest needle you can find... I had to cut the tip off this one to open it up more...

post-24163-1227817564_thumb.jpg

post-24163-1227817579_thumb.jpg

post-24163-1227817614_thumb.jpg

Edited by podgy

Meant to add when loading that thing up you wanna make sure there is as little air in the syringe as possible... It's not a completely avoidible issue though... The bird itself will push out the rest if you let it sit over night... After getting one side shot up I had to start using my hip to push the plunger down... Another tip is there is alot of pressure involved, but as long as you keep on it it will get in there provided there aren't any clogs...

post-24163-1227817974_thumb.jpg

So here's the turkey locked and loaded... I thread it through that loop and put it on tail end first... Also coat it generously with the paprika garlic powder, and a bit of sea salt(NOT MUCH)... I also put a generous ammount inside the cavity too... This doesn't work the same way as a dry rub... What happens is half of it will wash off in the oil...You want that as it will flavor the oil and get in the meat better... :yes:

post-24163-1227818101_thumb.jpg

post-24163-1227818177_thumb.jpg

So after the oils in the pot the fires lit I get it upto 35O F ,or 176.6C (Unlike the video's reccomendations) I do this because when the bird gets in there it brings the temp down to just over 310 F, or 154.4 C... Don't cut the heat back after you get the bird in... Also Put it in SLOWLY... That way if there is too much oil in there it won't spill out... If you have too much oil in there pull the bird back out and use a glass measuring cup to remove some ... I just toss it on the lawn... When the bird is all the way in the pot the second pic is what you wanna see...

post-24163-1227818411_thumb.jpg

post-24163-1227818430_thumb.jpg

Smells like pork rinds cooking, and sounds like pop corn popping (underwater) I let this one go for 32 minutes, and the oil temp didn't get upto 350F until the last ten minutes... Before I pull the bird out I turn the fire off...

NOTE : if the bird starts to float in the oil its almost assured that you've gone too long so you don't evere want to see it float in the oil...

after the bird is out It's back into the kitchen with it on a towel... I wrap mine with aluminium foil and let it sit for another 30 minutes... It is not finished cooking when you pull it out of the oil...

post-24163-1227818881_thumb.jpg

Here it is wrapped up... couldn't get it compressed for two in one post :yes:

post-24163-1227819030_thumb.jpg

Another thing in the video I disagree with is right after he pulls his bird out he starts poking it with a thermometer :yes: I don't do that to anything I cook it allows all those good flavorfull juices to escape... OH but podgy you poked two big hole init earlier to get the sausage in there... :wink: and they were sealed shut by the oil after two minutes in :thumsup: If you follow the rules here you will never get any raw meat on your bird I promise ...

1. Never over 15 lbs.

2. 350F when into the oil and never go over it, nor under 300F

3. Let it go for 30 minutes

4. let it stand for another 30 minutes at room temp.

If for whatever reason the bird is raw stop cutting on it wrapp it up in foil and put it in the oven for a half hour @ 325 and check it... If still raw continue on checking every 15 minutes... ( I've never had to do this...)

And now the main event !!!.... So when I carve this thing I like to cut the breast away and then slice it up into medalions.. The pics show why ...

E2A: those aren't my hands... that's my family swooping in like vultures to pick at the bird before the feast :yes:

post-24163-1227819462_thumb.jpg

post-24163-1227819475_thumb.jpg

Edited by podgy

Here it is plated up with the traditional famliy fare for the holiday... Didn't do my cranberry stuff this year though and I got bitched at for it too :yes: but there's black beans and rice, brocoli caserole, and sweet potatoes... Now for BBQ I serve it up with brunswick stew (to be covered later) and mexican corn bread (maybe covered later) also I sauce it up with a bit of that white sauce I made when I did the Butt earlier... :wink: So that's how I do my BBQ Turkey!!!

post-24163-1227819756_thumb.jpg

Bloody hell..

Simpsons24-homerpanting.gif

looks very nice podgy :woot:

very tasty i bet

i'm glad i've eaten tonight that would make me hungry,saying that i'll have ago at that :D