Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bongme

UK : Hopes of town cannabis protestors go up in smoke

360 posts in this topic

its not just you mate, they have some sort of right click protection on the page. :wink:

/fetches popcorn and puts up feet. :yinyang:

Edited by Tyler.Durden

It could have been a lot worse.

I think the article is more than fair - plus they credit him 'a couple of hundred protesters'.

Edited by roger

Nicola Fahey

23 October 2008

THE CAMPAIGN leader of a pro-cannabis protest group that came to Redditch last weekend (October 18) has admitted the rally was "disappointing".

Only a couple of hundred activists turned out for the eight-hour static demonstration in the town centre against so-called "unjust" cannabis laws, despite organisers previously claiming their mass protest in Redditch would hit Home Secretary and town MP Jacqui Smith "where it most hurts".

Some residents were said to have avoided the area amid rumours campaigners were set to cause trouble in the town.

But the biggest disappointment for leader Jim Starr, otherwise known as 'Pinky', was the fact that Ms Smith continued to ignore the pleas of thousands of medicinal users on her own doorstep and didn't turn up to talk to protesters as invited.

The protest follows the Home Secretary's decision earlier in the year to reclassify cannabis as a class B drug, despite advice from the Advisory Council for the Misuse of Drugs.

Pinky said: "We want answers as to why she wasted heaps of taxpayers' money and disregarded the outcome of the report that recommended cannabis remain at class C?

"But if anything, this demonstration has proved by her failure to turn up that she's the kind of person who stays quiet and hopes a problem will go away - but we will not go away.

"People in pain should have the right to use the only substance that works, without the fear of prosecution."

The Government's decision to reclassify cannabis as a class B drug under the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 was announced by Ms Smith in May on "public safety" grounds.

The Home Office said at the time there was real public concern about the potential mental health effects of cannabis use and, in particular, the use and availability of stronger kinds of cannabis.

Highlight and ctrl+c to copy, ctrl+v to paste. :yinyang:

Was there even a couple of hundred?

Was there even a couple of hundred?

I think I counted 19 in that larger pic :unsure: .

A few hundred Hmmm lol .

Would this have got into the print edition too?

post-2-1224772981_thumb.png

Only a couple of hundred activists turned out for the eight-hour static demonstration in the town centre against so-called "unjust" cannabis laws, despite organisers previously claiming their mass protest in Redditch would hit Home Secretary and town MP Jacqui Smith "where it most hurts".

That's the problem when you predict big things and then they don't come to anything, the press report it as a failure, if Pinky had kept his wild predictions to himself then the papers might have reported a couple of hundred protesters (I count 19 not including pinky) as a minor success instead

Edited by Joolz

That's the problem when you predict big things and then they don't come to anything, the press report it as a failure, if Pinky had kept his wild predictions to himself then the papers might have reported a couple of hundred protesters as a minor success instead

There is a lesson to be learned there!

Highlight and ctrl+c to copy, ctrl+v to paste. lol

hmmm works in IE but not firefox, odd that.

I attended.

Not knowing all the stories about pinky and lca etc before hand. (and even if i did i would have still chosen to see for myself) I arrived at 12pm to find a small gathering of, i counted, 35 people including 2 on the LCA stall 2 on the tombola pinky and 3 others behind a roped area.

Flags flying and reggae music distorted by the poor PA system in attempt to generate any kind of atmosphere failed.

Solomn bored, White, faces in the scattered crowd only added to the cold and ebarrassment. Dissapointed at the stereo typical image portrayed by the organisers and 'supporters' we decided to warm ourselves in the pub down the road until, hoping, the numbers developed and something would happen.

An intelligently written speech educating the public perhaps?

After engaging in conversation with the pro cannabis bar staff, came to the conlusion, as i had felt myself, that the people in Redditch who use cannabis chose not to attend because of the image that 'these people' portray.

They didn't want 'to be seen as part of that crowd'

I Played devils advocate and suggested that this may be seen as hypocritcal.

It was pointed out that not all smokers are dirty hippy druggies and protests like this do nothing to change the opinion of the public and would always fall flat on their arse.

I agreed

After leaving said public house at 3pm walked the 10 yards up the street to a crowd of, including ourselves, 26 people.

Pinky Had started his speech. A string of whinges and moans slating the government and the local folk for being afraid of violent action, pointing out the closed shops opposite. Where was the education? The facts? The professionalism?

I was embarrassed.

Redditch press i feel were kind to pinky considering.

There is no point preaching to the converted. we need professional intelligent educators of people to change the opinions of the Non users. It's those we need on side and to speak out. A change of Tack. Protests like this only add to the hinderance of our changing the law. Sick of being called a druggy, i'm a herbalist!

Edited by Karmacollector

Pinky

Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:12 pm

some people in here also use uk420. can someone please ask a admin there why my account has been blocked and the forum thread removed?

i have done nothing to harm uk420 all i have done is premoted there site to all growers i know.

i would just like to know the reason why im banned, im not posting this to start arguments of any kind or make any problem between the lca and uk420 but i have no other way of asking the admin in there this question.

all i want to do is update all on whats continuing to happen to save head shops etc...

thanks pinkz xx

Alun

LCA Member

Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:05 pm

Pinky wrote:

uk420. .... why my account has been blocked and the forum thread removed?

Seems like they want to kick out anybody who wants to legalise cannabis which is why I don't bother with them

Pinky

Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:31 pm

Jamon wrote:

I had a look, don't think any threads have been removed, but the redditch thread was closed as they believe it has no more that can be discussed. I sent em a PM asking if they can email ya to explain whats gone on with your account.

thank you jamon, i just want to know why. i will be meeting some of them soon at the hemp expo. i dont want conflict there, maybe when they meet me there thoughts on me will change. after all im only human. the only differance between them n me is im a cripple and there abled bodied xx

im also fighting for head shops to stay open, so im trying to help them too. no one else is fighting this unjust law on there behalf so i dont understand why there been the way they have been?

anyhow thats history now, my fight continues

like i have stated b4 one or two people give forums inc lca a bad name, people do fall out but there no need to drag forums and sites down with them!

i do chat with a few from uk, just a shame i cant even pm my friends in there any more Sad

Its the WAY you do it pinky. I admire anyoneone who stands for what they believe in, But really pinky, a hidden agenda vibe emits....

Howdy pinky nice to make your acquaintance...

the only differance between them n me is im a cripple and there abled bodied xx

Not all are m8