Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bobinscunny

transfer of soil plant to nft

I have been growing for about 10 years now and comfortable with my small nft system which yields 8-10 oz every three months . I have not grown anything this year due to illness , and am looking at getting going again . A friend has given me two lovely looking plants in soil . My intention was to remove them from their plastic pots , wrap the root ball and soil tightly in spreader mat put this into a cage pot ( like what you put pond plants in) and pack the cage pot with clay pebbles then put it in my nft system . Has anyone else tried this , will it work , does anyone have any better suggestions ?

On another note , everyone seems to be obsessed with turning their harvests into hash these days , why ? Is smoking bud bad now or something ?

well ive seen plants growing in small mesh pots with soil in some photos somewhere so it can be done dont no anyone hows done it though,but i cant see any reason why it wouldent work just as long as those roots draw the nuts.

Edited by ouncyboy

A friend has given me two lovely looking plants in soil . My intention was to remove them from their plastic pots , wrap the root ball and soil tightly in spreader mat put this into a cage pot ( like what you put pond plants in) and pack the cage pot with clay pebbles then put it in my nft system . Has anyone else tried this , will it work , does anyone have any better suggestions ?

i have two suggestions. one is to keep growing the plants on soil and take some clones from the mothers, putting them into rockwool cubes and carrying on from there.

the other is to use cellmax rockwool cubes in pots to transfer over to pot culture. shake the roots free from most soil and then tranfer them into the pots the same way you'll move soil to soil. fill with nutrient and top up every couple of days.

what you've suggested would work, maybe, but i'd much rather be working from clones going onto nft, as the root structures of soil grown and nft grown plants are different.

minimise plant stress by trying not to transfer them drastically after they've matured.

On another note , everyone seems to be obsessed with turning their harvests into hash these days , why ? Is smoking bud bad now or something ?

smoking bud is good, it's smoking leaf that isn't so hot. :D the leaves are the things you'll use to make hash by freezing and then filtering the trichomes from the leaves (trichomes make up the frost you get on the buds and leaves). bud gets trimmed and dried as usual. :smoke:

it's in vogue right now because it hasn't been long since the ice-o-lator, xxxtractor, bubblebags and bubblesacs came on the market, designed purely for trichome filtration.

thanks for advice , i have transplanted one plant by the method i suggested , they are 18" tall when i was given them , and i have not been growing for a while ,so i want to get on asap , i will inform of how i get on with this method , but 24 hours on everything looks good . The other plant I am using as a mother plant and as back-up in case something goes wrong .

I didn't realize the home made hash thing was just leaf , I have been turning mine into butter for years .

please do keep us updated... i'm supposed to be getting a couple of plants on soil soon, females of course, and i don't want them on soil for very long. lol

Start of day 4 with plant in NFT system it has shown no sign of stress what so ever .

Keep having a peep at spreader mat in top of trough and roots are just starting to emerge from soil/spreader mat/pebbles/cage affair so it should just be plain sailing from now , also no contamination of NFT system with soil either .

B)

good luck bobinscunny,and welcome :notworthy:

Plant has done fine since its transfer , started flowering today , top nft tray full of roots , so if anyone needs to do a transfer such as this I can definitely say that it works .

nice idea with the spreader mat, though. that may not have occurred to me. :smoke:

Ten days into flowering and alls well . No sign of stress at any point during the grow , and probably the healthiest looking root system i have had , so cali-trap if you want to transfer rapidly this works and is dead easy saves hanging about waiting for cuttings . I know what you mean though , I never thought a plant would go from soil to hydro without signs of stress .

I have transfered dirt plants to my NFT many times and no problem.Works every time.Just rinse the roots off and their good to go.

post-18-1063198073_thumb.jpg