Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joolz

The Homebrew Thread

422 posts in this topic
We'll see just what it turns out like... just checked. It'll be just past easter when it'll be ready! I'll try and give a drink report if i remember... Hmmm 15-18%. We'll see :smug:

you need even more patience that a sat grower in this game lol

my apple wine has just finished fermenting so I racked it the other day and will now leave it to clear for a few weeks before filtering into bottles

you need even more patience that a sat grower in this game

my apple wine has just finished fermenting so I racked it the other day and will now leave it to clear for a few weeks before filtering into bottles

How long did u ferment for. I've read up on racking, and understand i need to do it once a month roughly... Sound about right to you?

Anyhow I have a funnel and filters, so I'm ready when it comes. Just need a length of pipe to syphon it now, and some muslin B)

e2a: is there anything round the house i could use instesd of muslin? I've seen it online for £4 so not a big deal, but...

lol

J

Edited by jimbo200sx

How long did u ferment for. I've read up on racking, and understand i need to do it once a month roughly... Sound about right to you?

i started my first batch at the start of october (i think :yes:) and the 2nd batch was two weeks later and I racked it all for the 1st time this week.

It will need doing again after a couple of weeks of allowing it to clear naturally and then I will filter it

Ahh ok. not as often as i thought then.

Here's hoping to some good 2009 homebrewed wine then matey :yes:

Anyway, the yeast will be added on monday evening, and into demijohns on tuesday :yep:

J

I'm just doing my second homemade wine... After someone drank the bloody lot :yep:

This time I'm using Young's Chardonnay Kit (Just add Sugar+Water - drinkable in 7 days @ £10 for 6 bottles).

Thought I'd give it a whirl, seems pretty popular on the reviews, but we'll see. It should be done fermenting xmas eve, clear overnight and ready to drink on xmas day.

I bought a thermoter this time too :doh: Sitting nicely at just room temp @ 22c

A question here for the pro wino's - The sediment on the bottom. Should I be agitating this gunk daily? I assume there could be trapped yeast within this sediment or other goodness, I just thought it would be wise to turn the fermentor upside gently a few times a day. Any tips? Or should I leave it alone?

:D

post-10403-1229804879_thumb.jpg

<snip>

After 6 months decant liquid into a clean bottle (using a wine filter gives a really clear end product) and dispose of the gin soaked sloes and leave gin in a cool dark place for at least another 6 months (if you can :yep:)

<snip>

I've never tried it but I've been told that you can leave the sloes for a day to dry off a bit, and then dip them in melted chocolate to make some lovely chockie goodies.

This is slightly off topic, but one of the nicest crimbo pressies that I got this year was a basket of home made goodies (jams, pickles, chutneys etc).. so I wanted to make some pressies for next year, and the sloe gin sounds great. (and easy)

So, I thought of buying some 1/2 ltr bottles and making gift baskets with sloe gin, cherry brandy, blackcurrant vodka...but I want to do a 4th one using rum(preferably whire rum) so does anyone have any fruity suggestions for me?

Edited by scoobs

A question here for the pro wino's - The sediment on the bottom. Should I be agitating this gunk daily? I assume there could be trapped yeast within this sediment or other goodness, I just thought it would be wise to turn the fermentor upside gently a few times a day. Any tips? Or should I leave it alone?

:rofl:

leave the gunk well alone, it's dead yeast and you don't want to be stirring it up every day otherwise your wine could go bad

once you have a good layer of sediment at the bottom, rack off (siphon) into a clean demijohn taking care not to take any sediment with it :rofl:

1 person likes this

:rofl:

leave the gunk well alone, it's dead yeast and you don't want to be stirring it up every day otherwise your wine could go bad

once you have a good layer of sediment at the bottom, rack off (siphon) into a clean demijohn taking care not to take any sediment with it :rofl:

Sorry, excuse my ignorance, almost 3 weeks late reply lol ... Totally forgot about this thread.

Thanks for the tip Joolz, will know in the future now to leave it alone. cheers mate :rofl:

About the wine, it didn't clear by xmas day as intended, in fact it took another few weeks to clear, but the result is quite impressive - Lovely and clear now, tastes really good too, better tasting than those 2 for £10 wines.

Just bottled up whats left of it :rofl:

post-10403-1232371091_thumb.jpg

About the wine, it didn't clear by xmas day as intended, in fact it took another few weeks to clear, but the result is quite impressive - Lovely and clear now, tastes really good too, better tasting than those 2 for £10 wines.

Just bottled up whats left of it :unsure:

that looks a really nice colour mate

Some wines can take ages to clear naturaly, I've used fining's and filtration in the past to get them crystal clear, will probably need to do that to my apple wine as its still quite cloudy

My blackberry wine on the other hand has cleared very nicely (and is delicious) and is just about ready to bottle

I tested the alcohol of it this morning and am happy to report that it comes in at 16% :yinyang:

My blackberry wine on the other hand has cleared very nicely (and is delicious) and is just about ready to bottle

I tested the alcohol of it this morning and am happy to report that it comes in at 16% :yinyang:

That sounds like a lovely drop of wine :unsure: , never drank blackberry wine.Can it be brought at over the counter?, I cant say Ive ever seen it.

Sounds tastey :yahoo:

Just bottled up whats left of it :rofl:

that looks a really nice colour mate

Some wines can take ages to clear naturaly, I've used fining's and filtration in the past to get them crystal clear, will probably need to do that to my apple wine as its still quite cloudy

I tested the alcohol of it this morning and am happy to report that it comes in at 16% :wub:

thanks man! :)

will have to try that blackberry wine, sounds really nice :guitar: do you have a recipe or did you just make it yourself?

thats a good level too, thought you could only get wine to 15% or something, and after that its distilled?

good stuff mate :yinyang:

That sounds like a lovely drop of wine :woot: , never drank blackberry wine.Can it be brought at over the counter?, I cant say Ive ever seen it.

Sounds tastey :)

I've never tried it before , i guess you could probably buy it from farm shops or garden centres

we just had a load of blackberries to hand and I found a recipe on the net and gave it a go and it turned out good, just wish I'd made more now lol

will have to try that blackberry wine, sounds really nice :stoned: do you have a recipe or did you just make it yourself?

I used a recipe off the net but I've just checked the bookmark and its gone :(

hxxp://www.btinternet.com/~g.dodge-page10.html

which is a pity as he had a load of recipes for country wine

thats a good level too, thought you could only get wine to 15% or something, and after that its distilled?

good stuff mate :smoke:

i measured using a vino meter both with neat wine and a 50/50 mix with water which is supposed to be more accurate and i got readings of 16% neat and 8% with 50/50 water, you have to x the 50/50 reading by two so i got 16 % both times

3 cheers for Harris super yeast lol

and 3 cheers for web.archive.org :woot:

Blackberry Wine.

1.814 kg (4 lb) of Blackberries. Pick before October to avoid the devil getting in them.

1.360 kg (3 lb) of sugar. Granulated.

4.546 Litres (1 gallon) of boiling water.

30 gms (1 oz) dried yeast. Port or Burgundy yeast is good for this wine.

Pectic enzyme. Helps to improve and prevent a haze forming in the wine.

Pick the berries on a bright, sunny day and wash well. Watch out for and remove any small maggots that may sometimes be seen. Crush the berries, place pulp and juice into your plastic bucket and pour the boiling water over them. I have found our food processor pulps and juices quickly and easily. Allow to cool to 21°C add the pectic enzyme in accordance with the instructions, (approximately ¼ of a teaspoon to each 1.360 kg of pulp) cover and one day later add the yeast. Leave covered for 5 days in a warm place, stirring daily. At the end of five days strain through muslin and add the sugar to the juice. Stir until all the sugar has dissolved. Pour into a dark demijohn, fit airlock and allow to ferment to a finish. The fermentation process has finished when there is no activity in the demijohn and a sediment has formed at the bottom of the liquid. When fermentation is complete syphon off and filter into dark coloured bottles using your wine filter. I have found it easier to filter the wine into another demijohn and then pour into the bottles using a funnel. Keep for at least six months before drinking. The longer it is kept the drier it will be.

and more recipes here

do you have a recipe or did you just make it yourself?

also see page 1 :stoned::smoke:

1 person likes this

:stoned:

awesome mate, glad you found it, cheers :woot: quite simplistic too, i like it

will come in handy for this years season then

:smoke:

Evening all,

my homebrew wine has finally cleared and has been rebottled into two clean demi johns, one red, one white. while i was transfering it I had a taste of each, defo alcohol in there but tasted very watery. One is Elderflower, the other elderberry. Did I do something wrong ?

J :spliff: