Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Father McPot

Jazz Music

99 posts in this topic

Just recently got listening to some Jazz artists. I found out that there is a radio section on iTunes, so I put on a Jazz radio station - just out of curiosity - and loved it! I'm quite liking the works of Charles Mingus (obviously heard of him before), John Coltrane and Bill Evans, to name but a few. I'm just having problems classifying the songs: IE. What is 'Bebop' and what is 'Hard-Bop'?

So, anyway, who are your favourite artists, albums, etc?

Dave Grusins the man!

cant go wrong with a bit of buddy rich or any drummer based albums...

The best stuff is when they combine jazz with funk ala Bernie Worrell or jazz fusion...

Check out the finest session drummers here, give it a minute its kicks off hard!!

Edited by Archangel

Bebop is like traditional jazz that's gone seriously complicated. Harmonically and Rhythmically.

Hard bop is pretty much the same thing,

Bop is the same too :guitar:

Check out some jazz fusion like archangel says,

Dave Weckl has dont quite a few albums and i like everyone og his songs pretty much ! theres a few that have too much drums for me but the others are marvelous !!!

Other artists to check out :

Miles Davis

Chick Corea

Keith Jarrett

The lonious monk

Herbie Hancock

Marcus Miller

Victor Wooten

Eric Marienthal

Gary Meek

Alex Bugnon

Michel Camilo

Lee ritenour

Dave Grusin

John Scofield

John Patitucci

Jaco Pastorious

Frank Gambale

Bud Powell

these are just some of my favorites most of them play fusion jazz of some kind !

hope that helped

starway

1 person likes this

Sun Ra B)

Just recently got listening to some Jazz artists. I found out that there is a radio section on iTunes, so I put on a Jazz radio station - just out of curiosity - and loved it! I'm quite liking the works of Charles Mingus (obviously heard of him before), John Coltrane and Bill Evans, to name but a few. I'm just having problems classifying the songs: IE. What is 'Bebop' and what is 'Hard-Bop'?

So, anyway, who are your favourite artists, albums, etc?

Bebop was the 1940's, hard bop was bebop influenced by gospel & blues from the 1950s.

Jazz is such a HUGE area of music.

Anything from Scott Joplin onwards. Not a real fan of the proper obscure freeform jazz. But Mingus, Coltrane, Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, Thelonius Monk, Sonny Rollins.

Um, sorry. It's a VAST area and I appear to be too drunk :spliff::guitar:

If you're getting into jazz you should check out Kind of Blue by Miles Davis. Its arguably the most important jazz album of all time because it changed the way musicians thought about improvisation - not just jazz musicians but rock musicians of the 60s and 70s borrowed heavily from miles davis and the "modal" approach to improvisation.

Q tip from A tribe called Quest famously said of A kind of blue that its like the bible - everyone should have one in their house.

1 person likes this

kinda blue never really did it for me, im not really one to follow trends, dont get me wrong its good music, just didnt tick all my boxes esepcially not to the extent that everyone else feels about it,

much more better jazz around that hasn't been as successful,

not really into the old jazz greats, cause the recordings are too bad, and the music was specially for the time, and it would of made a lot more sense then. i still listen just not as much.

now im into the fusion genre because it seems more appropriate to listen to for the times were living in. However i absouletley love watching live trad jazz.

Also check out some gospel contemporary music, the harmonies are very jazzy, yet it has its own beautiful sound. obviously u have to get past the message they're preaching which is often very annoying but the girls who sing it sing very very nice harmonies.

STARWAY

If you're getting into jazz you should check out Kind of Blue by Miles Davis. Its arguably the most important jazz album of all time because it changed the way musicians thought about improvisation - not just jazz musicians but rock musicians of the 60s and 70s borrowed heavily from miles davis and the "modal" approach to improvisation.

Q tip from A tribe called Quest famously said of A kind of blue that its like the bible - everyone should have one in their house.

Probably one of my favourite albums now. Watched a documentary which mentioned it. Said that it's converted more people to Jazz than any other album. Seems plausible. Like Jimmy Cobb said, "It must have been made in heaven."

now im into the fusion genre because it seems more appropriate to listen to for the times were living in. However i absouletley love watching live trad jazz.

STARWAY

You might want to check out In a Silent Way by Miles Davis, if haven't already. Very chilled out.

bebop is faster more intense versions of classic jazz songs, usually instrumental with lots of improvisation. kind of stretching the tune, like dub is to reggae. best example is Charlie Parker aka Bird, master saxman. check out Ornithology LP. Hard bop wasnt necessarily harder, just keeping the bop spirit lively and rhythmic thro the 50's, while other jazzers went Cool (ie laidback, check Miles Davis Kind of Blue.) Charles Mingus - genius. Thelonius Monk - wow! He deconstructs little tunes on the piano and makes new and weird things out of them. Coltrane can be fantastic (A Love Supreme or check his version of My Favourite Things! My favourite jazzers are Louis Armstrong (cos he loved his herb, big time), Didier Malherbe (sax and flute in Gong and solo) and I love Fela Kuti's Afro Jazz. Then there's... oh wow i've gotta stop. Don't even get me started on Reggae... now that's even better than JAZZZZ!!!

:) reggae is different lets say, hardly better lol, reggae has different uses, its more of a background thing for me reggae, I wouldnt really pay to see an intimate reggae band at somewhere like ronnie scotts which is fantastic if no1s been.

definatley check ronnies out !

starway

miles davis, john coltrane ..check out the extended coltrane documentary, some nice footage, interviews etc.. 'sketches of spain' and 'bitches brew' cos they've not been mentioned

check out the change at 1:20 like a cool breeze coming off the water on a hot day

Nice :unsure:

I got into Jazz through uncle Frank Zappa :soap:

I love Jazz

me to ratdog ...... love it ..... have jazz FM on most nights .....

and the late lounge on it is an eclectic mix of wickedly kool tunes...

hey can I have my spoon back now .......... :kewlpics:

me to ratdog ...... love it ..... have jazz FM on most nights .....

and the late lounge on it is an eclectic mix of wickedly kool tunes...

hey can I have my spoon back now .......... :kewlpics:

Sure Rip!! :yep::rofl: