Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joolz

Ubuntu/firefox strangeness

122 posts in this topic

You have to install the Medibuntu repository like I posted how to in that earlier post to install those packages. :headpain:

They can't come installed with Ubuntu because of those stoopid software patent licensing restrictions. :headpain:

To install the multimedia stuff in Synaptic you will have to add the 'Medibuntu' repository to it - have no fear, it's as easy as typing into a Terminal:

sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/hardy.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list

to enable the repo, and then type:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get update

to add the Medibuntu repo to your GPG keyring for authentication - make sure that Synaptic is closed when you run these commands. :yep:

:P

e²a: Obviously you can CopyPasta those commands into the Terminal window (if a command goes over two lines on your monitor, make sure that you manage to Copy it all at once - start at the leftmost of the top line and then end at the rightmost of the bottom line whilst holding down your left mouse button) - ¿saves quite a bit of typing, hunh? :ninja:

e²a: w32codecs is like DivX, Quicktime etc., and libdvdcss2 will enable you to play normal, like-from-Blockbuster movie DVDs. :blub:

Edited by Scribb|e

The joys of linux :P,

¿The joys of Window$? :russian:

:guitar:

Any doubters/floating voters, please read this article. :russian:

...works fine for me as long as i look after it as in disk cleanup, virus scans etc

Exactly - ¿as you haven't really used anything else, how can you say any different? :russian:

'I don't know what all this talk about 'central heating' is all about - so long as I get up at 5am to prepare it, clean the grate, unblock the chimney and find tinder and heft coal from the cellar, my coal-fire has always done right by me'. lol

I'm now going to shamelessly plug this article again until everyone's read it. :bag:

Edited by Scribb|e

You have to install the Medibuntu repository like I posted how to in that earlier post to install those packages. :russian:

They can't come installed with Ubuntu because of those stoopid software patent licensing restrictions. :guitar:

done and thanks mate :bag:

And as for doing a virus scan every month or so n a disk cleanup daily n the odd defrag its not exactly a hassle to keep my windows going sweet :guitar:

you should really do a virus scan everyday :russian:

Nice one, Joolz - glad to be of service - any other probs, don't hesitate to ask. ;)

A've read it mate but even it says "linux is desinged for geeks by geeks" n a aint no geek thats well clued up on computers so surley windows is best for me?

It used to be the case that linux was 'by geeks, for geeks' and it still is if you want it to be - there are distros like Gentoo or LinuxFromScratch if you want to scratch that particular itch. ;)

Also, there are distros like Ubuntu, Mandriva or OpenSuse that also cater more to new users (like the many East Asian housewives who have been happily (unknowingly, in many cases) using Linux on their shiny new Asus eee minitops), 'Window$-refugees' and power-users alike.

Asus eee:

post-17181-1216223965_thumb.jpg

It's really a very broad church these days. lol

And as for doing a virus scan every month or so n a disk cleanup daily n the odd defrag its not exactly a hassle to keep my windows going sweet

¿How about never having to run a virus scan, or even a virus scanner, never having to worry about trojans or malware, never having to 'do a defrag' or worry if your PC is part of a botnet?

¿How about having a PC who's uptime can be measured in months without going down in flames with a BSOD or a lock-up? - there's a very good reason that most of the servers out there aren't running Windows and are running Linux/BSD instead, you know - and they're not just for servers any more - they have been plenty friendly and usable as desktop OSes for quite a while now, and getting better every day thanks to the great efforts of the FOSS community. :)

And you can always keep a Win installation as a dual-boot for those games that you can't get running under Linux (you can get more and more running just as well, if not better these days) - or you could run a VMWare virtual machine on your desktop and run XP in that if you're *really* jonesing for Photoshop and The GIMP just won't do, or use WINE. ;)

Sorry guys - it's time to plug this article again. ;)

:yahoo:

Edited by Scribb|e

Try it, it works very well. I have been running ubuntu for 10 days with very few problems, the ones i have are due to my Vid chip drivers NOT being open source (Nvidia)

Stick with it joolz :yahoo:

BTW i like XP too ! and still use it. but it will be gone soon im sure hehe

Also see my sig for getting started link.

Edited by Biw Coopah

Just got my lass an EEE and she totally loves it, fits in her handbag perfectly and does everything she needs it to do for a true portable.

Nice one, Joolz - glad to be of service - any other probs, don't hesitate to ask. :yahoo:

firewalls ?

Ok one question before i go down this scary road :yahoo: When u switch the computer on will it give u a choice of which OS u want to use like in a boot menu or something?

Yes

Nice one, Joolz - glad to be of service - any other probs, don't hesitate to ask. :yahoo:

firewalls ?

If your behind a NATS router joolz dont worry about it, just another joy of Linux :)

Just filling in fo scribble on the easy stuff, hes a data blaster lol

Edited by Biw Coopah

firewalls ?

You don't even really need one, especially if you're behind a NATed router - Ubuntu ships with all ports closed by default, anyway - if you *really, really* insist on having one, you can install the easy-to-use 'Firestarter' package from Synaptic - it sits in an icon next to your clock.

I'd leave it out for now, TBH - esp. if you're behind a NATed router. If you *do* insist on setting Firestarter up, you will have to make exceptions in the firewall if you're downloading torrents, or with aMule, whatever. It's not too hard to do, though. ;)

Ok one question before i go down this scary road ;) When u switch the computer on will it give u a choice of which OS u want to use like in a boot menu or something?

If you dowload the Ubuntu install CD - you can run it as a 'LiveCD' which means that if you boot from it, it will let you test-drive it without it touching your hard-drive at all - just runs a bit slower from CD, that's all. lol

If you decided to install it on a PC that's already got Win on it, it will detect the Win installation, and ask you if you want to shrink the Win partition (keeping all your data intact), and make room for a Linux one - then when it's installed, it will give you a menu at boot time that will ask you if you want to boot Linux or Win. ;)

:yahoo:

e²a: BC beat me to the punch with his concise and elegant answers. ;) ;)

e³a: ¿Did you get your lass the eee that runs Linux with the bigger memory and hard-disc? (you can them with XP on, but it costs more money, and they cripple the hard-disc and RAM size :))

Edited by Scribb|e

You don't even really need one, especially if you're behind a NATed router - Ubuntu ships with all ports closed by default, anyway - if you *really, really* insist on having one, you can install the easy-to-use 'Firestarter' package from Synaptic - it sits in an icon next to your clock.

i downloaded lokkit a while back but havent configured it yet, if i don't need one then i won't bother :wink: