Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

mrmom

whats for tea tonight?

6,880 posts in this topic

Gotta be homemade slaw though...i hate the shop ones...

I've done a few decent coleslaw batches in the past always so much better :)

Farmer

1 person likes this

yeah this was the Lidl extra creamy one and it definitely was a bit too much..

Aww man, I like any coleslaw, the ready made stuff was all I knew as a kid....I do agree though, home made is much better! :yep:

1 person likes this

It's always to chunky and to much of one ingredient than the others...

I like to finely shread my cabbages and carrots etc and not have it as creamy and juicy.

Farmer

1 person likes this

If you make coleslaw at home use a gastrique reduction of sugar and vinegar before adding any mayonnaise. It's fine to put the syrup on the slaw while it is still warm/hot.

It coats the ingredients preserving them and makes the mayo stick too.I then only add a pinch of salt and pepper,and a bit of wholegrain mustard.

Every restaurant I've ever worked in, that served slaw, adopted my recipe after trying it, I picked it up from a lad that had trained in the US and it was by far the best thing I ever saw him do,simple but very good. Try it.

4 people like this

Funnily enough on Monday there was a program all about coleslaw on radio 4, originally made without mayonnaise more of a pickle. It's on each week as I drive back from work, the week before was porridge.

2 people like this

Fish Friday!!

Tuna Steaks and Calamari 

large.IMG_0138.JPG

2 people like this

I'm fending for myself tonight, think I'm going to have a steak, cheese and onion baguette, with some chips maybe if I can be arsed to make them. :)

I've had my first smoke in two weeks today, and a hard day at work, I'm fucking starving.....lol

Edit to add, I've found a pack of frozen pigs in blankets in the freezer, so I'm having those too, dipped in English mustard. :)

Edited by Captain Bonglington
1 person likes this

Mmmm, just mid munching.... haven't done it for donkeys like 10yrs..... Kedgeree !

I had a huge bowl of veg soup and a baguette,there's enough left for tomorrow.

I'm on a pressure cooker kick at the moment.You can buy excellent stovetop ones made in turkey for about £20 which are a great design, and the name reminds me of hash-saver.

They are a marvel for cooking root veg much more quickly than conventional methods and you can cook dried beans/pulses in less than an hour straight from the bag,no overnight soak required. The beauty of them is that you can cook with the natural moisture of the ingredient and have to add very little water,and all the flavour stays right in the pot rather than out the kitchen extraction unit.

1 person likes this