Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
detoxed

NFT/Hydro/soil ?

61 posts in this topic

That's ok to do if you have a big tank strider but if you have a small tank it makes sense (to me) to keep an eye on the EC so I know if the plant is taking water quicker than nutes or vice versa.

npk

I use to live in london, I can tell you most of my stuff came with dem huge ugly Uk plugs and had to change all of them (btw 220 in swiss too)

woah. it's 240v over here.

make sure the ballast can just have its plug changed and work. ie, check warnings.

If the mains is 220v to 240v it all works.

NPK, it's easy enough to see how they're doing. When the nutes are spent they'll drink loads. There's some consensus for changing the res once the top-up volume equals the res size, but a bit earlier is probably better.

A small res without auto top-up is courting disaster without low nute levels. If the starting concentration is 580ppm or 640ppm doesn't really matter, as long as it's low for small plants.

Those 7 plants in my vertical lighting thread are currently on 60% of what Ionic says the correct dose is.

If the meter can be bought without sacrificing anything else, (like an RO filter,) then yes, go for it. But imo, it should only be used for learning in the first year. Make the nutes up low as if you didn't have the meter. Measure ppm every few days and take notes. Next year, you'll have a LOT of knowledge. They're also good for checking the quality of your tap water and whether or not your medium has been flushed properly.

detoxed, some guys are "store bought" rather than diy. Me too if I've got the dosh and the kit is better than I can make. Lots of hydro stuff is flimsy (and duff,) it's not just the scent of easy money, you can't have Argos prices without high volumes of sales. There are some good ones, but trawl around and find satisfied customers first. People make bubblers 'cos it's better than many systems you can buy, and they can't sell bubblers, they're too easy to make.

Whichever system you get, it will have pros and cons, and you'll learn to live with the cons.

NPK, it's easy enough to see how they're doing. When the nutes are spent they'll drink loads

Is it really that simple strider ?

Sometimes they drink faster than eat and visa versa IMO

Are you saying that as soon as they start to drink more you should add more nutes ?

What if the temp has increased. That will make them drink more. Or the humidity dropped.

I've always used low strength nutes but wouldn't be without my ec meter. When I first got it I was shocked at the high level(ec) in my tank

I still think there's a lot to be said by starting with passive hydro and getting a feel for your plants before trying out more exotic, and less forgiving, forms of active hydro.

From what I've read DWC seems to be one of the least forgiving of all systems bar aero.

You say not though. But you also know what you are doing. therein may lie the difference between yours and all the problematic DWC grows I've read about

How can using an EC meter make you MORE likely to stuff up? So long as your aware that while the ec remains the same, the actual composition of the nutes may have altered dramatically so you still need to change the tank regularly.

Detoxed

I may have missed something in another post but it seemed you were implying that your ventilation was far from sorted in the opening to this thread.

The whole thread confuses me to be honest. You say that extreme yield is crucial and that money is no problem yet you seem to want to buy the least powerful kit they have ?

If you want extreme yield you want at least a 600w light IMO

There's a thread here by Nicebuds! which shows you how to simply build an nft system. This would have a far bigger tank than the growell one you are considering. You mentioned wanting low maintanance. Well if you buy something with a tiny tank the maintanance will be almost as regular as with passive hydro. maybe more so.

npk

Rigth will edit this later sicne i don't have the time to reply properly atm. My mind has been chagned a lot since first post so sorry if I gto you confused lol . When I said high yields, I mean t decent yields not like some avg or low yielder. Lowered grow times are also crucial but again crucial shouldn't be interpreted as essential. Anyway found some timers for lights (remembered why I asked about settings timers now, I thought ballast came with one buitl in but doesn't). Also found a cheaply priced Hannah EC digi meter so sorted that. My extraction setup is : 1 144 m3/h fan and passive intake. Could be you confused my fan setup with my drying cabinet setup. Anyway one more worry, the pumps, they do come with everything required to leave them on their own right ? or do I have to buy anothe set of timers for that (digi timers for pumps are more spensiv than analogs ;) ).

Anyway thnx again, just relaised how big this thread has grown. Will complet later.

Detoxed

If its NFT you want to do then the pumps should be on all the time.

Edited by buddy

That's what i thoght until I found some site selling NFT pump timers. sill little salesmen never trusts em. Anyway i could still be wrong somehow. Tnx buddy (hehehe pun ! lol ).

Detoxed

Yip you need them with some systems like flood and drain etc ...... but with NFT you need to keep the water film going nice and steady day and night.

lol

Edited by buddy

lol

But you also know what you are doing

You libel me sir. :soap:

I was lucky in picking up a few gems from other growers when I started, and they stuck.

"The plants I ignore seem to be doing better than the ones getting all my TLC."

That'll do me, I can ignore plants as well as anybody. (I can also play 4'33" by John Cage.) :wassnnme:

"Gardening is simply a matter of getting oxygen to the roots".

I'd just got a big loan from the social fund so ordered 2 x £80 airpumps. (Thanks Mr. Blair.) lol

From what I've read DWC seems to be one of the least forgiving of all systems bar aero.

Haven't really noticed that, come across one newbie disaster due to water levels being high enough to drown the roots. (No air gap under the netpots.)

When bubblers stuff up, it's nutes too high or oxygen too low. Increase your lighting (and ventilation) and sure you'll need higher nute levels. But expecting 6 plants to perform under a 1Kw with bubbles from a £15 airpump?

Are you saying that as soon as they start to drink more you should add more nutes ?

imo, you shouldn't add nutes without a TDS meter, just change the res. Less than 2 weeks, add a little more next time, more than 3, use a little less.

My res will last 3 weeks, I change in 2.

Temp and humidity will make some difference, but not a lot in within healthy boundaries. Too hot and/or too dry is bad in any system, if it's unavoidable, just change the res more often.

How can using an EC meter make you MORE likely to stuff up?

1)Newbie copies "9Kw Stavros" and sets ppm to 1600. Forgetting he's only got a 400w and the ventilation is poor etc.

2) Newbie follows this bad ole wives tale. "Increase nutes until you see burn then back off a little."

My extraction setup is : 1 144 m3/h fan and passive intake.

detoxed, if that's 1 x 144 m3/hr, you've no chance. I've lived in a converted attic, never again. Lost a brew one summer 'cos the yeast died from the heat.

1 x 680 m3/h outlet and 1 x 420m3/h inlet and you've a fighting chance. Will still need insulation, and heating in winter.

If I were you, I'd move, and gain a bedroom or a cellar.

Grumble, well My growroom is 80cm*40cm*100cm (maybe 150). SO i reckonned that would of sufficed (or have two of em for intake/extraction), but letm e quickly list what else I can get hands one it's just so dammn speniv :wassnnme: .

Actually just looked and all i can get is Extracteur/ventilateur 250 m3/h , which is over budget for me, so even if I stretched would still only have enough for one (barely). I'm positive the other one is enough for me GR dimensions. ANyway tnx.

Detoxed

It's a problem cooling a place with air that is already hot.

What you can afford should be OK for the non-summer months. How about just keeping the mom healthy in summer (say a 65w flo or even outdoors) and flowering clones the rest of the year?

Bit late for outdoor growing no ?

Detoxed

Will this thread ever die ??? Yea well ebb and flow are expensive and flow waste a lot of water (if i rememeber well). Honestly I got eyes set on nft and go changing all over again.

Regards -- Detoxed