Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

stickypukka1

Should Fan Connect To Filter In Tent?

Hello,

At the moment my 6" rvk is outside tent creating lots of noise which im in the middle of sorting out, but looking at other peoples growrooms there seems to be lots of fans connected straight to CF.

Is this correct or should it not really matter?

doesn't really matter, just a question of saving space in the gr.

my filter's inside with about 18" ducting going outside to my fan, just make sure the ducting is running as straight as poss, eg; no kinks

would connecting direct to CF also reduce noise at all?

you can also buy a baffle to cut down the noise...

is a baffle the same as an attenuator, fitting in flex ducting the same,

and do local grow shops sell them?

not sure what a attenuator is mate, but yeh you will be able to get a baffle at your local grow shop.(its just like a car exhaust baffle only bigger.also you can box in the fan and insulate the box... i will send you a link to something that will help you mate..

Peace..

Hello,

At the moment my 6" rvk is outside tent creating lots of noise which im in the middle of sorting out, but looking at other peoples growrooms there seems to be lots of fans connected straight to CF.

Is this correct or should it not really matter?

It matters a lot. Keep the fan materially isolated from structure, by bungee bands or anti vib mountings, and from rigid bits of equipment by a 50/60 mm bit of flex ducting. It's been done in commerce and industry for more than a century!

Think about hitting a tuning fork. You get a strictly local sound, put the fork tail on anything solid, and the sound fills the room.

In future think about upping the discharge ducting one size at least. That decreases sound pressure levels, because it decreases velocity, which equals noise. Keep the distance from your intake clear of all fittings/bends etc by a distance of 3 times the duct diameter. Keep the distance from fan discharge clear of all fittings/bends by a distance of 5 times the duct diameter. That alows the fan to work with laminar flow, which is most efficient. Fittings etc within these distances will cause turbuent flow, which is noisy. Fans will last longer too.

The above can't always be achieved in home grows but they should be aimed for.

Lot's of grow pictures show otherwise, but the downside is noise.

1 person likes this

is a baffle the same as an attenuator, fitting in flex ducting the same,

and do local grow shops sell them?

Yes

right sorted the baffle and fan insulation box but now realise that the worst sound was accually the suck through the carbon filter

:yinyang::spliff::wub:

On 28/01/2008 at 10:16 PM, Guest daviie said:

Keep the distance from fan discharge clear of all fittings/bends by a distance of 5 times the duct diameter. That alows the fan to work with laminar flow, which is most efficient. 

I guess if you can't afford that space, it is still more efficient to exhaust into a close proximity 90 degree solid bend rather than a larger flexi duct bend. Agree?

@mrlizard you realise you're replying to someone's post from over ten years ago?

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, SevernValleySavant said:

@mrlizard you realise you're replying to someone's post from over ten years ago?

Must stop coming on this forum stoned....

1 person likes this

you can still pick up good tips on 10 year old threads. tho it helps if you check the posting date also  lol

1 person likes this